• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    Winimac never had a wait. RO has nothing to do with his time so he's all over enforcing these rules.

JP on the other hand can really fill up.....even though it's like 2X as big as Winimac. The RO there tends to focus on safety related stuff like anyone to touching a gun while someone is down range. Other than that never seen anyone called out on Open carry or rapid fire. The 25 yard range at JP is mag dump central on weekends BUT you'll wait up to an hour for an opening. I imagine anyone not happy with Winimac RO will flock over there. I know I am. Winimac was one of the best kept secrets around IMHO

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    A couple of thoughts on previous comments about the Winamac shooting range, a worker told me this spring that there may be a 10 yard only pistol range within a year or so, I think there would be room for one to the north of the 100 yard range, also, the RO is correct, most of us local shooters avoid the facilities on the weekends due to the number of people using it, as I have stated before, the new range hours really put a damper on local shooters using the range during the week,if they work until 3:30 or 4 pm. This week I received a survey from the DNR asking about waterfowl hunting, I dont hunt them, but it would have been nice for the DNR to have sent out a survey about the state-wide changes at the shooting ranges before instituting the rule changes. Just my thoughts.

Pistol boy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Griffith
    The last time I was at the Winamac range (month ago) the RO and I had a conversation about the busiest days for the range. He told me that the busiest day is Sundays. I asked about Mondays? He said that the locals wait and come on Mondays because they do not like to deal with the peoples Republic of Illinois crowd.

Lol. That's a rule they missed. Must have a IN DL:dunno:

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    I used to shoot at suger ridge in pike county years ago since it is 15 min from my home. But haven't for years. The last time I was walking about 3/4 the way down the 200yard range when bullets started hitting the ground all around me. I walked to the 100 yard range to investigate just some bench rest shooters, I moved down to the 50 bingo two shooters one sighting in his deer gun shooting into the backstop. The other had a target on a paint stick at about 20 yards.. Of course he had no idea his bullets were bouncing into the 200 yard range and nearly shot me. I was boiling mad but held it together and explained it to him then left. That was the last time I shot at a public range. Rember the rules may be dumb but there are people dumber.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Winimac never had a wait. RO has nothing to do with his time so he's all over enforcing these rules.

JP on the other hand can really fill up.....even though it's like 2X as big as Winimac. The RO there tends to focus on safety related stuff like anyone to touching a gun while someone is down range. Other than that never seen anyone called out on Open carry or rapid fire. The 25 yard range at JP is mag dump central on weekends BUT you'll wait up to an hour for an opening. I imagine anyone not happy with Winimac RO will flock over there. I know I am. Winimac was one of the best kept secrets around IMHO

You are right about the Winamac range being one of the best kept secrets(used to be anyway). I have been going to the Winamac range since the late 1980's before they even upgraded it to what is there now. Until maybe 4 years ago I could walk on to the range and there would always be a bench open. Not so much anymore. Also back "when" there was not the influx of out of state shooters there either. I guess the times have changed and so has the range. It is very nice now and I hope it stays that way, but when I see shot up trash cans there and bullet holes in the overhead it makes me disappointed in people who do not take care of this nice range. The Winamac range is all I got unless I choose to pay $$$ at the Ikes. Anyway that is just my :twocents:

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    Went to JP they now have a one white paper flyer.

they make zero mention of open carry drama and from being there on a sat or sun it's obvious they don't care / enforce it either

same for 50 bmg. Guy using one on the 225yrd. Range.

they only mention rapid fire and note only 2 "rules " 312 IAC 8-2-3 and 312 IAC 8-2-5

80% of the flyer deal much more with calling out down range and being safe/ during cease fires

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    JPs berms are pretty big. Someone needs to get a magnet out there and pick up a lot of that steel case ammo tho.

50BMG is one of a few guns I would like to shoot, if it's okay at JP that would be nice

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    For the size of the ammo and gun it has less kick then some .308 rifles. Just be warned if you stand to the right or left behind the shooter you are going to FEEL IT and hear it as well. Right behind or shooting it its not as LOUD as other rifles.

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    I've sound metered a 50bmg with and without a AAC Cyclops. It's loud unsupressed!

as to the DNR range rules. Seems that they have rules but each pretty much does what they want

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    The newly hired RO at Tri-County,the DNR range by me, no longer allows me to fire my pistol caliber carbines in the pistol side of the range. Seems strange since I've been doing that for the past 4 years. I'm going to ask Roger, the regular RO, why this has changed because there are no signs saying don't do it. In fact, the signs just says no shotguns.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Evidence.

transplant18n-4-web.jpg

Top Bottom