• ...and so much more!
  • OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I worked at the Wake-Up gas station in Noblesville in 1976. Full service station. Only people I let run my pump were riding a motorcycle or show car level hot rod. I would turn on the pump and hand you the nozzle in that case. I washed your windshield and checked your oil. When you said you wanted two bucks of ethyl, I stopped the pump at $1.92 because I had to tack on the state tax back then. I never scratched a car. Some days I didn't even have to run a credit card through the machine. The machine used the raised letters on the card to print your info on the receipt and it wasn't hooked to anything electric.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I remember the full service stations...pump your gas, wash your windshield, check your oil. They were service stations, they had lifts and would change your oil and rotate your tires or fix a distributor if needed. Of course I also remember gas at .26c a gallon...

My second job was pumping gas at a Shell gas station. I pumped gas, washed windshields, checked and added oil and whatever else the driver asked me to check while the tank was filling. It was kinda fun until I worked one of the coldest Michigan Winters in years. I wore out a pair of Sorel boots that Winter. If you spilled gas on your bare skin, it was actually quite painful.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I hear the same people upset about this change are also pushing for a law requiring their waiter to cut the crust off their sandwiches and make airplane noises while feeding it to them.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Wait...you've never seen full-service before? Before about 1985 nearly every gas station had full service and self-service. I'm sure there are still at least a few full-service stations just about everywhere.

I haven't.
    I was born in 1987. Never had an attendant pump gas for me, or even seen it done that I can recall as a kid.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Wait...you've never seen full-service before? Before about 1985 nearly every gas station had full service and self-service. I'm sure there are still at least a few full-service stations just about everywhere.

I was a pup in '85.

Just wondering how they run the card as a debt, do they have hand held card readers?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My second job was pumping gas at a Shell gas station. I pumped gas, washed windshields, checked and added oil and whatever else the driver asked me to check while the tank was filling. It was kinda fun until I worked one of the coldest Michigan Winters in years. I wore out a pair of Sorel boots that Winter. If you spilled gas on your bare skin, it was actually quite painful.

Pumping was a job you could land any day of the week as a fill in if you were laid off/between jobs/part time/student you name it.
    I used to help out at a local full service station with 1 bay dedicated to Hot Rod tuning/add on's and a chassis Dyno. I pumped gas, tuned cars. Installed headers, shifters, rear gear ratio changes etc as an Intern and for free dyno time.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I worked at the Wake-Up gas station in Noblesville in 1976. Full service station. Only people I let run my pump were riding a motorcycle or show car level hot rod. I would turn on the pump and hand you the nozzle in that case. I washed your windshield and checked your oil. When you said you wanted two bucks of ethyl, I stopped the pump at $1.92 because I had to tack on the state tax back then. I never scratched a car. Some days I didn't even have to run a credit card through the machine. The machine used the raised letters on the card to print your info on the receipt and it wasn't hooked to anything electric.
    I worked a Bonded in the same yrs. Spring and summer, showed some mighty nice scenery. Tube tops were the rage. Good mammorys.:)

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone know the purpose of the law requiring pump attendants? Did they think that mere mortals would spill gas and pollute mother earth? Or was this a jobs initiative? Quite a curious law considering that 48 other states allow self serve.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Does anyone know the purpose of the law requiring pump attendants? Did they think that mere mortals would spill gas and pollute mother earth? Or was this a jobs initiative? Quite a curious law considering that 48 other states allow self serve.

IDK about Oregon, but NJ always calls it a safety issue.:dunno:

I guess the carefully trained, fully vetted, gas station attendants are able to fill 'er up without blowing up the world and the civilian population can't be trusted with the responsibility.:rolleyes:

GkEXydN.gif

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Last time I checked, there were no laws banning full service....anywhere.

Understood, but there are laws in certain states that require it, which just seems like overreach. Let companies offer it if they want or not, and let the market sort it out. If folks want it (and potentially willing to pay more for it, if that is what the market demands etc) and companies want to offer it, then let the market do its thing. It seems like in most markets it no longer exists, but would be interesting in Oregon in some of these locales where it is no longer required if it would survive in the market as a service that would differentiate a station. Govt intervention often skews markets (liquor laws in Indiana anyone?)

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Did you use one of these? As a kid, I thought the gas station attendent was rich, because he always had a thick wad of bills in his pocket and the changer on his belt.

a3b48cd0ce1034c74a9760d9f896d3fc--change-maker-for-change.jpg

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    IDK about Oregon, but NJ always calls it a safety issue.:dunno:

I guess the carefully trained, fully vetted, gas station attendants are able to fill 'er up without blowing up the world and the civilian population can't be trusted with the responsibility.:rolleyes:

GkEXydN.gif

The video does tend to support the argument that the general public is too stupid to be trusted with a gas nozzle. I'm amazed that the guy that got sprayed didn't ignite being 2 feet from the fireball.

Top Bottom