• ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    There are a few things you should be able to do before driving a car:
    • Pump your own gas (unless you live in OR or NJ)
    • Parallel park a car (oh, now they have those fancy self parking cars)
    • Fold a paper map (unless you are a woman)
    • Use a turn signal...
    Oh who am I kidding, they will let anyone drive a car.

Does anyone know the purpose of the law requiring pump attendants?

The purpose would be to create more $15 per hour minimum wage jobs. Because it's only fair.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's been the law in Oregon since about 1950 (or so), same in N.J. According to the legislation, it was for safety....but I am dubious.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The video does tend to support the argument that the general public is too stupid to be trusted with a gas nozzle. I'm amazed that the guy that got sprayed didn't ignite being 2 feet from the fireball.

Look closer, the idiot intentionally set the pump on fire. That's not an intelligence issue, that's an insanity issue.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Does anyone know the purpose of the law requiring pump attendants? Did they think that mere mortals would spill gas and pollute mother earth? Or was this a jobs initiative? Quite a curious law considering that 48 other states allow self serve.

It's been the law in Oregon since about 1950 (or so), same in N.J. According to the legislation, it was for safety....but I am dubious.

I grew up in NJ and always understood that they considered gasoline a hazardous material.

Not to mention all of the empty cans of oil that were sold.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The video does tend to support the argument that the general public is too stupid to be trusted with a gas nozzle. I'm amazed that the guy that got sprayed didn't ignite being 2 feet from the fireball.

I think the guy spraying the gas is an attendant.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I’m no expert but I’m sure there are folks in here that can testify how the word snowflake must have originated out there. On the upside most grocery stores have beer sections larger than the dairy section at mejier and some stores have craft beers on tap that you can try. :cheers:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I’m no expert but I’m sure there are folks in here that can testify how the word snowflake must have originated out there. On the upside most grocery stores have beer sections larger than the dairy section at mejier and some stores have craft beers on tap that you can try. :cheers:

I like beer and that sounds good but I still have no reason to go there. My cousin has lived in Portland for quite some time and that girl is loony tunes.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Not in this city.

when I moved here in '99, there was an Amoco on the corner of Washington & Emerson, 2 or 3 bay service station, car wash behind it, 1 pump full service. I always pumped my own gas, but let Kenny do all the work on my car, oil changes etc. I miss that station

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Do they have to wipe their own rears over there? Or is it state law they have to have a bidet? Or does everyone have someone to wipe for them? Even the wipers? Wipers for wipers....for wipers...that way everyone is employed

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If I can stand out in this cold for 40 minutes at a time filling the tank underground with 13,400 gallons, they can tuff out 10 gallons.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

No wonder they can't pump their own gas... they're too drunk! :):

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    If I can stand out in this cold for 40 minutes at a time filling the tank underground with 13,400 gallons, they can tuff out 10 gallons.

yeah, but you guys dress for the weather. Well, at least the ones I see come into our place. Look double their normal size with all the gear they are wearing. :):

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    when I moved here in '99, there was an Amoco on the corner of Washington & Emerson, 2 or 3 bay service station, car wash behind it, 1 pump full service. I always pumped my own gas, but let Kenny do all the work on my car, oil changes etc. I miss that station

Amoco service stations, run by mechanics were great. My current mechanic was forced out by Amoco several years ago. Sad.:(

But he left a sign on the window where to find him. Glad.:):

Edit: I wish they would fix the multi quote cancellation.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I sure wish there was a full service gas station around during this cold stretch!
    Not sure where you are located, but there are several full service stations around. I know of one in Mooresville, and another in Valparaiso. Don't know if they check the oil, tire pressure, etc..., but they will pump your gas.

If Oregonians are willing to pay the up-charge, I am sure several businesses will provide the service. Besides, there will be a significant cost to upgrade pumps to support self-serve.

As usual, the snowflakes are melting. It is all they know how to do.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    When I lived in Washington, on the north side of the Columbia River, it was a culture shock the first time I pulled into a gas station in Oregon. It was honestly really nice having attendants. They would pump gas while you went into the mini mart. You could wait inside and pay when you saw the attendant finish, or stay in your car and they would run your card like usual. They always brought a receipt and cleaned my windshield. I was also impressed by how clean the pavement was around the pumps. They were very careful not to spill and it showed, I fuel at any station in Indiana and it looks like a giant chemical spill has taken place, I almost hate to step into my car with shoes that were just standing on gas, soda, dip spit, and whatever vile mix is leaking out of the trash can. The gas prices were not much higher than in Wa so I would generally wait to fill up until after I crossed into Oregon.

It is foreign to us here, but it was a great service. It created a lot of unskilled labor, and work can be hard to come by in the barrens that are eastern Oregon. I was told the original requirement for attendants was put in place to curb wildfires from fuel spills, which makes a lot more sense when you live in an area that is under constant threat of some idiot burning down a quarter of the state. Eastern Oregon is a giant box of tinder in the late summer. The law makes more sense when your living there, we don't have a respect for wildfires in Indiana.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Not sure where you are located, but there are several full service stations around. I know of one in Mooresville, and another in Valparaiso. Don't know if they check the oil, tire pressure, etc..., but they will pump your gas.

If Oregonians are willing to pay the up-charge, I am sure several businesses will provide the service. Besides, there will be a significant cost to upgrade pumps to support self-serve.

As usual, the snowflakes are melting. It is all they know how to do.

The pumps are the same as anywhere else. They have card readers and everything. If you paid cash the attendants had a card they swiped to turn the pump on.

Top Bottom