• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    When I lived in Washington, on the north side of the Columbia River, it was a culture shock the first time I pulled into a gas station in Oregon. It was honestly really nice having attendants. They would pump gas while you went into the mini mart. You could wait inside and pay when you saw the attendant finish, or stay in your car and they would run your card like usual. They always brought a receipt and cleaned my windshield. I was also impressed by how clean the pavement was around the pumps. They were very careful not to spill and it showed, I fuel at any station in Indiana and it looks like a giant chemical spill has taken place, I almost hate to step into my car with shoes that were just standing on gas, soda, dip spit, and whatever vile mix is leaking out of the trash can. The gas prices were not much higher than in Wa so I would generally wait to fill up until after I crossed into Oregon.

It is foreign to us here, but it was a great service. It created a lot of unskilled labor, and work can be hard to come by in the barrens that are eastern Oregon. I was told the original requirement for attendants was put in place to curb wildfires from fuel spills, which makes a lot more sense when you live in an area that is under constant threat of some idiot burning down a quarter of the state. Eastern Oregon is a giant box of tinder in the late summer. The law makes more sense when your living there, we don't have a respect for wildfires in Indiana.

This. I lived in Oregon for a travel job a few years back and enjoyed the service. I do find this highly entertaining however for those living in the bigger cities. Outside of Portland and a few larger metro areas, the people are pretty much like anywhere else... hard working folks who are most likely far less "impacted" than those in the cities.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    In Indiana when self serve stations appeared the first thing that disappeared were the greasy rag streaks from my windshield and gas overflow stains from the side of the car.

Took the twenty something son on a road trip thru southern WY five years ago and he encountered his first ever mechanical display fuel pump. It was then that I realized just how old I'd gotten.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did you use one of these? As a kid, I thought the gas station attendent was rich, because he always had a thick wad of bills in his pocket and the changer on his belt.

a3b48cd0ce1034c74a9760d9f896d3fc--change-maker-for-change.jpg

I seem to vaguely remember using one of those at one point. I definitely had a wad of cash in my pocket.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Took the twenty something son on a road trip thru southern WY five years ago and he encountered his first ever mechanical display fuel pump. It was then that I realized just how old I'd gotten.
    Was in the Wisconsin hinterlands about 40 years ago getting gas for a boat at a pump that you manually pumped the gas into a glass graduated cylinder over your head until you had the amount you wanted, then released it and it gravity fed into your gas can.

Wife's favorite comment on the story from a woman in Texas -- "Y'all are just precious."

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Was in the Wisconsin hinterlands about 40 years ago getting gas for a boat at a pump that you manually pumped the gas into a glass graduated cylinder over your head until you had the amount you wanted, then released it and it gravity fed into your gas can.

Wife's favorite comment on the story from a woman in Texas -- "Y'all are just precious."

Our town had one gas station that I remember back in the early sixties with just such a pump for their kerosene sales, can you even buy that stuff at a gas station any more?

As a young kid my favorite was the Gulf station pumps with the fluorescent balls inside a small glass dome doing the chaotic dance while pumping.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Our town had one gas station that I remember back in the early sixties with just such a pump for their kerosene sales, can you even buy that stuff at a gas station any more?...

Sure you can. In smaller towns, it's at about 1 out of every 5 stations, but with regular pumps...and very short hoses.

I last bought kerosene at a station with a mechanical display pump within the last 5 years.

Out here in the hinterland, it pays to have a non-electricity dependent heating option.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If people in Oregon want/need pump attendants, they can go to the stations that have them and pay the additional cost per gallon for the service. I'm guessing a lot of people will learn to swipe their own cards and press the buttons pretty.

Texas is pretty dry each summer. We have a lot of grass and brush fires. I cannot remember ever hearing of one started because somebody spilled some gas filling their own vehicle. ??

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I thought New Jersey was the only state to not allow self-serve gas stations.

They're flipping out over this change with this hyperbolic headline:

Oregon descends into madness, forces citizens to pump their own gas | NJ.com

I was just informed that a new law took effect in Oregon that allows gas stations in counties with less than 40,000 people to stop being full service stations and allow drivers to pump their own gas. Until this new law every gas station in Oregon had to have attendants pump fuel for customers.

Well apparently some people in Oregon are losing it over this new law.

People in Oregon Are Freaking Out About the Thought of Pumping Their Own Gas Under a New Law - The Drive

OK, so a few FB users are complaining. Big deal, that happens when a grocery switches from Honeycrisp to Fuji apples.

Show me an (un)scientific poll.

The crisis continues--if we have to pump our own gas, then how can we have time for tattoos and nose rings?

26168917_1910547822592131_5994582879556855905_n.jpg
    Can we talk about this? I'm pissed off that stations here in town with green logos have decided the green handled nozzles will be for gasoline.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Most who are concerned probably live in apartments or town homes... Or they pay a service to mow their yards. Come on, mowing may cause sweat or cause their Yeezys to get grass stained.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Can we talk about this? I'm pissed off that stations here in town with green logos have decided the green handled nozzles will be for gasoline.

I'm with ya here. I am management for a station with a green logo. Yes, our gasoline is green handles on all 14 pumps, on 4 of the 14 pumps we also have diesel, with black handles. It is clearly marked, but you'd be surprised how many people CAN'T read DIESEL in all cap letters above the black handle.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm with ya here. I am management for a station with a green logo. Yes, our gasoline is green handles on all 14 pumps, on 4 of the 14 pumps we also have diesel, with black handles. It is clearly marked, but you'd be surprised how many people CAN'T read DIESEL in all cap letters above the black handle.

Are your diesel nozzles bigger than gas? They should be.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I never figured out how to play my 8 tracks in a cassette player.

There is something about standardization that works.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They're flipping out over this change with this hyperbolic headline:

Oregon descends into madness, forces citizens to pump their own gas | NJ.com

OK, so a few FB users are complaining. Big deal, that happens when a grocery switches from Honeycrisp to Fuji apples.

Show me an (un)scientific poll.

Honeycrisp forever!!!!!!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I accidentally pulled into as full service bay in a vacation town in Michigan (Harbor Springs)... I was like, "Why the $&*# is this dude standing by my car?"... until I saw the "FULL SERVICE" sign on the pump... I had only glanced at it and thought it said "FUEL and SERVICE".

Since then, I have never figured out why there are not full service stations here in Carmel.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My brother lives in Portland, but he's from around here so he's not helpless. I was out there for his wedding and took a side trip with my son down the coast, got to tour the Tillamook cheese factory and all. Eventually, I had to fill the tank on the rental. Unaware of the law, I was about to get out of the car to pump my gas and was alarmed to see this homeless looking derelict approaching the car. Talk about creating employment...

Top Bottom