• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    A bullet fired up into the air will tumble down, and only reach terminal velocity, like other said. But a gun fired at a slight angle, the bullet could very well continue a deadly path. What I saw on Mythbusters was perfectly aligned guns firing straight up. I didn't see them test at what angle the gun needs to be for it to be a deadly fall.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If it penetrated 3/4" of plywood, I'm pretty sure it would penetrate more than that on a human body.

I was going to respond to that one too but I kept deleting my response and moving on. I don't know what angle the bullet that hit your roof was fired from, but the terminal velocity was not insignificant. I do know that I don't want to be standing in the path of a .308 bullet that can still penetrate 3/4-inch of plywood.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Gravity only affects vertical velocity. Horizontal velocity is affected only by air resistance.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well from what has been tested in the past, that a bullet fired straight up into the air when it falls back to earth the amount of energy the bullet has MIGHT cause a cut on your skin if it hit you directly. I know that Mythbusters did that as an experiment and found out the terminal velocity of a bullet, and shot those bullets out of an air cannon and they "stung" the persons hand received the "shot" Now I am not talking about something that goes downrange, but basically straight up. I am not condoning it, just stating that the damage that a round would do it negligible at best.

Gunner

It's a bit harder than you might think to get "straight up." The bottom line is people have actually died from falling bullets fired in "celebration." It's irresponsible to fire a gun if you can't be reasonable certain of where the projectile will end up. I loaded up a 50 round drum of .22lr tracers and shot them off in my slidefire 15-22. It was a great light show, but it was aimed at the same berm I always shoot into. That's the ONLY way to do it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Must be all those Trump Voters.

They may be crazies, but at least they're our crazies...

2e5ed22b04f0a790292f8df6a3a81697.jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Subdivision outside of town NWI. Everyone is from the city and thinks their one acre lot is a farm.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Midnight in Fishers, some fireworks, no "MAD MINUTE" or detectible gunfire in my neighborhood, but give it a few years as the demographics will change and Fishers will look and feel like Lawrence soon.

No disrespect to you folks in Lawrence, just saying I remember when it was a nice place to live, back in the day.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    All quiet in the 'burg last night. No gunshots, fireworks, or even loud music.

Lots of gunfire coming from private property during the day, though. I expect the same today.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I heard quite a bit of gunfire in my neighborhood last night. It was mixed in with a fair amount of fireworks. I have a fair idea of which house the gunfire came from.

Matt

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Only 4 shots down the street, woods runs behind that edge of our addition.
    Dunno if they blasted into it, or up in the air.

The deal with CGF is that folks trying to shoot straight up, probably oops it at a 45 degree angle.
    That's what happened a few yrs ago, when we lived in the center of town. Lots of shooting then, 13 rounds at a time, 15..........and even some redneck raining shot on my house (shotshells littered the sidewalk, yet local PD did nothing...........this after they came zooming around the corner and asked me where the gunshots were next day- told the officer it was fireworks, I saw the kids that did it, and told him of the shotshells all over the sidewalk, 4 houses down..............he didn't care).

Anyway, IIRC somebody was popping a 9mm in the back yard and most must have gone close to vertical. But drunkard popped one at low angle and whacked a house at 2nd story.

Funny, bunch of hispanics lived a couple blocks down, and the cops just let 'em blast every NYE. Ridiculous. Big enough houses around, I was shielded from them............but not any morons across my street.

As for CGF............the military did a study on it. Probably a little better than what Mythbusters put out (they have flubbed other stuff).

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Gravity only affects vertical velocity. Horizontal velocity is affected only by air resistance.

Bull:poop:
    And
    Bull:poop:

Cuz science.

Gravity affects trajectories. Trajectory eventually causes a strike of the earth. Hence gravity will cause velocity to cease. Real world empirical physics. Not theoretical.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom