• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    hit a rock and ricochets. as bad a shooting into the air in my opinion, just go to the range and do it right.

Or, if you're one of the fortunate ones who have the land to have a proper backstop, have at it. I don't have the land for that. But there's a guy who lives across from me who has a range set up on his property. He was out shooting on New Years. Probably out in the country it's not as dangerous to shoot straight up.

But dayam, not in the city. C'mon. What the hell is wrong with these people.

The link I posted above was for a 2 year old hit, presumably, by celebratory fire. Granted, it is in a neighborhood that is often in the news for shootings and other violence anyway. I imagine it's dangerous enough to live there without idiots shooting into the air in an urban neighborhood. But then it may have been just the normal gunfire, and not celebrating new years.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I often shoot celebratory gunfire...from a Hawken .50 loaded with a wad of paper towel. I actually bought it from an LGS on the way to the store to pick up fireworks and it's price was less than a good sized box of paper boomers.

It turns out the PO had dry charged it and it had a ball that needed removing, probably why the LGS said he didn't know anything about BP guns and moved it cheap. It has gone boom on many a holiday since then.

I would not do that with bullets though...

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I often shoot celebratory gunfire...from a Hawken .50 loaded with a wad of paper towel. I actually bought it from an LGS on the way to the store to pick up fireworks and it's price was less than a good sized box of paper boomers.

It turns out the PO had dry charged it and it had a ball that needed removing, probably why the LGS said he didn't know anything about BP guns and moved it cheap. It has gone boom on many a holiday since then.

This is interesting. I never thought about how reenactors using BP guns shoot "blanks" so to speak.

Does the paper towel blast out or what?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The knuckle dragging numb-nuts in and around my neighborhood (65th & michigan rd) were doing magazines dumps with everything from pump shotguns to semi auto rifles, and some of them kept it up until 2AM. Lots of complaints on a neighborhood forum from kessler blvd up to harcourt and 86th st. I wonder what percentage of them are felons?

There was some discussion of driving around and videoing the jackasses next year for the prosecutor's office.

I do Armed Security, at 21st Amendment, on Michigan Rd., and heard that, when leaving .....

Sounded like a war zone .....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I do Armed Security, at 21st Amendment, on Michigan Rd., and heard that, when leaving .....

Sounded like a war zone .....

I [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] know I did that gig many moons ago. LOL and I dont recall the celebratory gunfire back in the 00s.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I used to do this too, back when I had a muzzle loader (and back when I actually was awake at midnight :):).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This is interesting. I never thought about how reenactors using BP guns shoot "blanks" so to speak.

Does the paper towel blast out or what?

Yeah, there's nothing left behind but powder residue. Still need to follow basic explosives safety principles...like not pointing at people...but it makes a most satisfying and better than fire crackers kaboom and impressive smoke clouds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have an acetylene cannon. It does not actually fire a projectile but man it is freaking loud. 4" sch. 80 PVC about 4' long capped on one end.
    It seriously rattles the walls. Last year was the last time we set it off.
    I might be awake at midnight but the truth is I just do not really care anymore. Just another freaking day.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The South Bend media was working hard to remind people of the $2500 fine for firing a gun in the city... I guess the gang bangers aren’t aware they are breaking this law when they are shooting people.

Top Bottom