• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    the problem with guns is, when we have guns, we look for confrontations instead of avoiding them and if we didn't have guns, that KC Chiefs player & his girl friend would still be alive.

What a sorry P.O.S. He is saying that all of us gun owners (and the rest of America, if they ever get a gun), can't help ourselves, and if we do have a gun, then we are just itching for someone to cross us.
    Totally false.
    Wasn't it the NFL that was promoting violence?
    Saints 'Bounty' System Will Get Hit Hard by NFL - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    A rant from some NFL guy matters why?
    Take a look at how many people watched the game when the ratings come out. All it takes is an analysis of the Kennedy Nixon debate, or a look at the coverage from news outlets over the last ~7 years and you'll soon see how the mindless head in the box can have an effect on public opinion. Obama took a US Senate seat with hardly any governing experience, and took the Oval office with only two more years beyond that, all because he was able to look good on TV. The power of that box is tremendous and the people need to demand responsibility from the press if they don't want it abused.

This is a tragedy, and it's not because of the gun, it's because one man snapped and took his life and the life of the mother of his child, and made several other people witness the former. There is a child without parents now. This didn't happen because of the gun, this happened because one man didn't get the help he needed to have control in those irreversible actions. The NFL needs to be looking at what it can do to help with family needs and mental issues for its players, not spout their mouths about gun control, as was mentioned, this could have just as easily happened with bare hands, knife, baseball bat, rope, bridge, etc.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Take a look at how many people watched the game when the ratings come out. All it takes is an analysis of the Kennedy Nixon debate, or a look at the coverage from news outlets over the last ~7 years and you'll soon see how the mindless head in the box can have an effect on public opinion. Obama took a US Senate seat with hardly any governing experience, and took the Oval office with only two more years beyond that, all because he was able to look good on TV. The power of that box is tremendous and the people need to demand responsibility from the press if they don't want it abused.

This is a tragedy, and it's not because of the gun, it's because one man snapped and took his life and the life of the mother of his child, and made several other people witness the former. There is a child without parents now. This didn't happen because of the gun, this happened because one man didn't get the help he needed to have control in those irreversible actions. The NFL needs to be looking at what it can do to help with family needs and mental issues for its players, not spout their mouths about gun control, as was mentioned, this could have just as easily happened with bare hands, knife, baseball bat, rope, bridge, etc.

Great post on the power of television. I'd rep ya, but I've been cut off... :40oz: :cool:

spqr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    After thinking about this for a while, I've come to the conclusion that the NFL may have encouraged Costas statements in order to take fans's minds off the fact that several NFL players have recently committed suicide and blamed head trauma for their depression and subsequent actions...they went so far as to shoot themselves in the chest so that their brains could be examined for damage! Concussions and head trauma and the subsequent psychological implications have recently been in the news...what better way to distract us than to blame guns for the violence instead of blaming the violence of the sport for the actions of its players?
    I am a football fan, but I am also a responsible gun owner, and if forced to make a decision between supporting a sport that wants to curb my rights or having true personal freedom...I will make a choice and football will no longer have my participation as a fan!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Several thoughts come to mind.

1) Politicizing tragedy: They're paying for the airtime. That means they can broadcast whatever they want, within FCC guidelines.
    2) The NFL needs to do something: Bull. The NFL is one party to an employment contract, indirectly, with those players. Even if we go so far as to call the players employees, is it the employer's responsibility to "do something" for every tragedy that may possibly arise?
    3) That this is the "fault" of the inanimate object, the tool that a person used is beyond ludicrous. We all know the argument there.

Now... I said a bit above that the NFL is paying for airtime. They may indeed broadcast what they wish. However, the part I didn't say is that they will likely pay for the expressing of that opinion a time or two, by way of reduced ticket sales. Good. As is often quoted here, "Stupid should hurt." This however, leads me to another question: I saw a few say so, but how many will withdraw any financial support of the NFL because of their position as stated and as broadcast? By that I mean no further spending on any NFL team, whether to see the game or to buy merchandise or to support their charities or whatever. I saw a few members post to that effect... how many will actually do it? How many will write letters telling them they just lost your business and that of your family

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Because he gets a national audience, and no counterpoint is offered.

Plus expressing personal opinion is not part of his job. Unless we are to construe that said opinion is the position of the network (safe bet).

Then the network needs to air an editorial. I get tired of opinion seeping into 'reporting' at all opportunities.:twocents:

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    It irritates me to no end when people (in this case, that Whitlock moron) claim that the right to bear arms is irrelevant when the government has stealth bombers and tanks. If that is the case, how come we still have troops in Afghanistan? I didn't realize the insurgents had B2s and cruise missiles....

The tragedy inside the tragedy here is that I actually used to respect Costas a lot for his sports reporting. Up until this point he has always been a no-BS type of reporter on interesting sports issues. I won't see him that way anymore.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado

Mainly because a person in a position like that holds the public ear. People that have little or no experience with firearms hear an idiot like this spouting off this nonsense and will blindly believe it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    Costas was gutless to quote the Whitlock article and agree with it rather than come out with the idea as his own.

His last point is that Belcher and his wife would be alive today if they did not have access to a gun...and we know this is true how exactly?

Another knee-jerk reaction to an unfortunate situation. Gee, never saw that coming...sheesh

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I just went hunting yesterday. I bet the quail, deer, and other wild game would agree with him this hunting season! Maybe someone should take him walking through the fields where he can hear guns popping off for miles in every direction.

Butros17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I would say the NFL's problem is less about guns, and more about the thugs they hire as employees.

Let's not make another generalization in an attempt to disprove one.

There are nearly 3000 NFL players active in the league, an overwhelmingly large percentage of them are hard working upstanding people just like any other profession.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Here's the NBC switchboard phone number - 212-664-4444. Call and give them an earfull! I did!

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    A very tragic, heartless and cowardice act indeed. Some people just don't possess the ability to move on and get over their differences and life's trials. This guy talks as if the gun had feelings and it disagreed with the players life.

Top Bottom