• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    ‎"We thought Bob Costas was smarter than that. Only fools blame tools instead of human failings. Shame Bob ... Blaming guns for crime is like blaming helmets for headbutts." -Ted Nugent

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Let's not make another generalization in an attempt to disprove one.

There are nearly 3000 NFL players active in the league, an overwhelmingly large percentage of them are hard working upstanding people just like any other profession.

I disagree. I would say they have more problems than the general population. Find a town of 3000. How many murder suicides, how many arrests for organized dog fighting, how many arrests for gun fights at bars?

The NFL has a disproportionate number of thugs over the general population. The NBA is no better. Much of that comes from star athletes being catered to for far too long.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I disagree. I would say they have more problems than the general population. Find a town of 3000. How many murder suicides, how many arrests for organized dog fighting, how many arrests for gun fights at bars?

The NFL has a disproportionate number of thugs over the general population. The NBA is no better. Much of that comes from star athletes being catered to for far too long.

Hence why I'm not a fan of the NFL...college football is much better

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Costas digs deeper

So Much Fail, where do I start?

Bob Costas: I Was Talking About The "Gun Culture," Not Gun Control | RealClearPolitics

Even if you had that you would still have the problem of what Jason Whitlock
    wrote about and what I agree with. And that is a gun culture in this country. It
    demonstrates itself in different ways. It demonstrates itself in the Wild West,
    Dirty Harry mentality of people who actually believe that if a number of people
    were armed in the theater in Aurora, they would have been able to take down this
    nut job in body armor and military style artillery. When in fact almost every
    policeman in the country would tell that you that would have only increased the
    tragedy and added to the carnage.

So, everybody who owns a gun has a "wild west-dirty harry mentality". Check.

Armed Citizens during a murdering rampage by a single sociopath will only increase tragedy & cause more carnage. Check.

What kind of Scared Sheeple Utopia does this guy live in?

It also plays itself out, and Jason Whitlock had some insight into this. It
    plays itself out in the inner cities where teenage kids are somehow armed to the
    hilt. And it plays itself out, and this I know the whys and wherefores of, in
    the sports world, where young athletes are disproportionately armed.
    Stricter gun laws will convince "inner city teenage kids" to not break the law. Check.

Even if all those guns were obtained legally, you can't have 65 guys in their 20s and 30s, aggressive young men, subject to impulses without something bad happening.
    Guns make professional athletes kill people at a higher rate than guns make the general public kill people. Check.

But give me one example of a professional athlete who by virtue of his having a gun took a dangerous situation and turned it around for the better. I can't think of a single one. But sadly, I can think of dozens whereby virtue of having a gun, a professional athlete wound up in a tragic situation.
    We need to outlaw gun ownership for professional athletes. Check.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Even if he is talking about culture, this incident was a tragedy indeed but it's irrational for them, and anyone in the general public, to assume and give the false impression that everyone deals with their problems in this same manor.
    The number of people that support this logic is astounding and uhh, somewhat sheepish and scary.:runaway:

Butros17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Evansville, IN

I seriously doubt it. The professional athlete involved in an arrest makes the national news. Joe Schmoe might get a 50 word mention in the daily local paper. How many gun related incidents are there nationally each year? Drug arrests? Dog fighting rings?

How many actual gun incidents have there been in the NFL this past year? Belcher, Junior Seau....

My mother lives in Petersburgh, probably an approximate population of 3000. Also considered by many the nerve center of meth production in the state. How many NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL players have been arrested or charged with manufacturing methamphetamines?

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Costasfamilyportrait.jpg

Top Bottom