• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Not a snark. Just saying, hand gun....knife....ammo....guess which 2 win.

I had some very nice knives at one time but the 2nd "X" took care of that when she left.

I chose poorly.

Understood, because you personally place more value and enjoyment in owning those items over a higher end knife, however there are a lot of people that will purchase high end knives over a firearm and firearm related items. Everyone is different with what their passion may be, but one thing that is a fact, whatever their passion is, that is what they will spend the bigger money on. Example: I know a few people that are into electronic gadgets, they own firearms and knives, they will spend thousands on the latest greatest high tech gadget/equipment, but won't spend more than $300 to $400 on a firearm, and will not spend more than $50 to $100 for a knife. :twocents:

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have to admit the guns/optics/mounts have taken an upturn again for me and it's left knives behind, but at least for a knife I don't analyze every little thing about it before I get it like I do the others, I just inspect the fit and finish and the market a little bit

Good knives are a better investment though

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Along these line, "custom" and "handmade" do not always equate to superior construction, worksmanship, and tighter tolerances than a production knife. Shops like Chris Reeve's produce a more refined product overall than some of the much more expensive custom knives I've seen.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    Thanks for your opinion. But it's not a fact.
    If it's not a fact then it's a far better supported opinion than yours. If Spyderco's higher end knives were on par with CRK Spyderco would win manufacturing quality awards at Blade. But they aren't, so they don't. One could say the same about Zero Tolerance, whose knife I chose over anything CRK offer because of features I wanted. Don't confuse features and materials with manufacturing quality.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Not a snark. Just saying, hand gun....knife....ammo....guess which 2 win.

I had some very nice knives at one time but the 2nd "X" took care of that when she left.

I chose poorly.

I realize that my ZT isn't in the high-end custom category, but it was still in the price range of some pocket guns.

My line of thinking was that I am so adamant about only carrying firearms that meet certain quality requirements, why not extent that same principle to my EDC blade, which in reality will get much more real-world use than my carry guns.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ok then, like I said, take other examples if you wish. How about Lionsteel? Manufacturer of the year award last year. Tons of knives WELL under CRK prices. They make some fantastic knives under their name, for DPX, and I believe make/made one of CRKT's high end offerings.

If it's not a fact then it's a far better supported opinion than yours. If Spyderco's higher end knives were on par with CRK Spyderco would win manufacturing quality awards at Blade. But they aren't, so they don't. One could say the same about Zero Tolerance, whose knife I chose over anything CRK offer because of features I wanted. Don't confuse features and materials with manufacturing quality.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ok then, like I said, take other examples if you wish. How about Lionsteel? Manufacturer of the year award last year. Tons of knives WELL under CRK prices. They make some fantastic knives under their name, for DPX, and I believe make/made one of CRKT's high end offerings.

How many manufacturing quality awards has Lionsteel won?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You mean you can buy a knife that costs less than $400!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! What have I been doing wrong all these years!!!!!!!! Heck until I got my Dan Wesson my MSC was more expensive than any gun in the house.........

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Does the quantity of awards matter, or the fact that they bested CRK last year? My point is, there are other knives that are every bit the amount of quality you get from CRK for a good chunk less money.

How many manufacturing quality awards has Lionsteel won?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It was manufacturer of the year, and wasn't specific to the Tispine. I believe they won the award mostly because of their "Solid" line, which is all like the Tispine with monolithic "Solid" handles. Most are made of Titanium, however, they do have some aluminum versions that are around $200 and are equal in fit/finish and quality.

They also were the manufacturer for the CRKT Hijinx, which was knife of the year last year.

He has you there......2014 BLADE Show Knife Of The Year® Award Winners | Blade Magazine I believe it was for the Ti-Spine witch is totally badass but on par with CRK, quality and price wise.

I'm not sure, but I'd bet it was their first last year winning manufacturer of the year.

I was asking a serious question. Not trying to be snarky. This time.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    I agree, Lionsteel is a great manufacturer. And now you've reached the other side of the coin, which is materials used at that level of manufacturing quality. The DPx knives have D2 blades, which is a lower cost and easier to heat treat steel. Even then, the DPx knives with Ti front and rear handles are $300. The Lionsteel Ti mono-frames are $375, which is nearly the cost of a Sebenza; and they use Sleipner steel, which is just Uddeholm's slightly improved version of D2. The TiSpine is $385, and is sized between the large Sebenza and the $350 small Sebenza. The TiSpine also uses Uddeholm Elmax, which is a slightly better steel than the Crucible CPM S35VN that CRK uses. The Lionsteel manufactured CRKT Hi Jinx is closer to the size of a large Sebenza, and has the IKBS ball bearing pivot. But the Hi Jinx goes back to Sleipner steel for the blade, and it cost $400.

So, if anything, Lionsteel has proven that if you want equivalent quality AND materials to CRK get ready to pay near CRK prices.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    On the other side of the equation, you have the people that can't afford any knife more than a Gerber Bear Grylls, and so put down more expensive quality knives, and argue that Hi points are just as good as....me personally have MANY knives worth waaay more than most ALL my guns (Glocks are cheap). My Hamilton and Tag Huerer watches are more expensive than Timexes, but I have the means to buy what I want, so I do. Same goes for Wines and Whiskeys, Whisky's, and Bourbons Evan Williams will get me there, but Jefferson Presidential tastes batter doing it!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I realize that my ZT isn't in the high-end custom category, but it was still in the price range of some pocket guns.

My line of thinking was that I am so adamant about only carrying firearms that meet certain quality requirements, why not extent that same principle to my EDC blade, which in reality will get much more real-world use than my carry guns.

Can not disagree.
    But I need Boolitz....:)

Top Bottom