• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Working in manufacturing. One thing in industry news, is taiwan is trying to break away from the stigma of cheap crap. And trying to improve their quality and reputation. But it is still not the same as the US or Germany standards but trying to get there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Working in manufacturing. One thing in industry news, is taiwan is trying to break away from the stigma of cheap crap. And trying to improve their quality and reputation. But it is still not the same as the US or Germany standards but trying to get there.

Back in the late 1980s or maybe early 1990s when Gerber was still Gerber, they made some knives under the brand Gerber International in Taiwan. I have a drop point lock back that is one of the nicest knives I own in terms of manufacturing quality. It's the oldest knife I have with an AUS8A blade too. It was very impressive work, especially given the reputation of good made in Taiwan back then. It's at least as good as any old Gerber knives and light years ahead of the products marketed under that brand name today.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    False. Again, I work as an engineer in a field that requires tolerances in the low single digit microns with heavy control plans. You can get just as good of manufacturing in Taiwan and China now. Every bit as good as the U.S. or Germany.

It's all about how much money you want to put in it and how much resources (personel, time, equipment and capital) you want to put behind it.

But saying that China and Taiwan are not capable to US and Germany standards is either blatantly wrong or just ignorant on your part.

Obviously you can still buy crap there as well. But that doesn't take away the fact that there is very high quality manufacturing there as well. You can buy crap in the US and Germany as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

When I was a kid Japan had that stigma.

Man how times have changed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    False. Again, I work as an engineer in a field that requires tolerances in the low single digit microns with heavy control plans. You can get just as good of manufacturing in Taiwan and China now. Every bit as good as the U.S. or Germany.

It's all about how much money you want to put in it and how much resources (personel, time, equipment and capital) you want to put behind it.

But saying that China and Taiwan are not capable to US and Germany standards is either blatantly wrong or just ignorant on your part.

Obviously you can still buy crap there as well. But that doesn't take away the fact that there is very high quality manufacturing there as well. You can buy crap in the US and Germany as well.

Ignorant is a bit strong dont you think.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Im a talking about as a whole. And if you can still get a larger majority of inferior products to quality products from there the your statment has no grounds. And also one of the many issues for the new reshoring effort by american manufacturers, other than transportation and lead times. Is quality control. If they majority of overseas is equal in manufacturing, then why is quality listed as an issue in nearly every reshoring article I have read.

Do you need a hug since everybody doesnt agree with you about spyderco knives.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You can't rate one manufacturing facility on the merits or detractors of another.

And it sounds like the information you're reading regarding quality is from companies that don't know much about having robust quality control plans.

Im a talking about as a whole. And if you can still get a larger majority of inferior products to quality products from there the your statment has no grounds. And also one of the many issues for the new reshoring effort by american manufacturers, other than transportation and lead times. Is quality control. If they majority of overseas is equal in manufacturing, then why is quality listed as an issue in nearly every reshoring article I have read.

Do you need a hug since everybody doesnt agree with you about spyderco knives.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Okay just my two cents......I use my knife several times a day....cutting materials, prying up Man hole castings, screw driver, prybar, you name it. I have carried at Cold Steel Voyager for the last 18 years "not the same one, I have lost three over the years" but when it comes to these tasks I would hate to loose/break a $300.00 dollar knife. I know the quality is there but if I am scared to use it for the task at hand what is the point of having it on you? So help me understand the point please. I am sure I am not alone in this...there is a balance between price and quality that tha high end knives have broken.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Okay just my two cents......I use my knife several times a day....cutting materials, prying up Man hole castings, screw driver, prybar, you name it. I have carried at Cold Steel Voyager for the last 18 years "not the same one, I have lost three over the years" but when it comes to these tasks I would hate to loose/break a $300.00 dollar knife. I know the quality is there but if I am scared to use it for the task at hand what is the point of having it on you? So help me understand the point please. I am sure I am not alone in this...there is a balance between price and quality that tha high end knives have broken.

Using the right tool for the job comes to mind. Your knife does a lot for you and that's great. However if they weren't so easy to buy and weren't so cheap you would treat them better. Some knives are multipurpose but most are just for one thing, cutting.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

First page I think I explained it pretty well :twocents:

Top Bottom