Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is burning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Over $1,000,000,000 raised to rebuild it. Seems like a lot of folks want it back.
    I would think so, but of course a lot of the money is coming from a couple of billionaires. I saw some interviews over the weekend with those yellow vest protesters. They are very angry that the money isn't being given to them instead. They seem to strongly believe they are entitled to the rich peoples' money.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ahegnjvthst21.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would think so, but of course a lot of the money is coming from a couple of billionaires. I saw some interviews over the weekend with those yellow vest protesters. They are very angry that the money isn't being given to them instead. They seem to strongly believe they are entitled to the rich peoples' money.

That is a mindset that will end us.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That is a mindset that will end us.

I think a lot of them just don't know/see the difference between "private money" and "state money".

It would be shocking if the state spent 1 billion to rebuild Notre Dame when they are saying that there's not enough budget for other stuff (rebuild roads, hospital, school budget, housing for the poor etc).

Billionaires can do whatever they want with their own money.And so can non-billionaires.
    That dude who gave 200 million could have spent it on buying yet another mansion, or on getting hookers (how many do you get for 200 million? :faint:) ... I would have been fine with that too. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think a lot of them just don't know/see the difference between "private money" and "state money".

It would be shocking if the state spent 1 billion to rebuild Notre Dame when they are saying that there's not enough budget for other stuff (rebuild roads, hospital, school budget, housing for the poor etc).

Billionaires can do whatever they want with their own money.And so can non-billionaires.
    That dude who gave 200 million could have spent it on buying yet another mansion, or on getting hookers (how many do you get for 200 million? :faint:) ... I would have been fine with that too. :dunno:

You are right. This group (world wide) only sees the money and what they can do with it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

scarier version is that they DO know the difference, but believe all that "excess" wealth should belong to the state where it can be re-distributed, benefiting them.....

-rvb

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    scarier version is that they DO know the difference, but believe all that "excess" wealth should belong to the state where it can be re-distributed, benefiting them.....

-rvb

Well you probably have a mix of both, folks who do know the difference and folks who don't.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

Even non-millionaires commonly share this mentality. For example, the belief that the expense of such lavish places of worship should be first given to the poor. But I am tempted to ask such a person what percentage of their own income do they give to charity, especially those who have a $65K pickup parked in their garage.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Even non-millionaires commonly share this mentality. For example, the belief that the expense of such lavish places of worship should be first given to the poor. But I am tempted to ask such a person what percentage of their own income do they give to charity, especially those who have a $65K pickup parked in their garage.

View attachment 76543

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

John 12:8

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Now they're complaining that the billions of dollars should be spent on cleaning up trash in the ocean.

All I learn from the discussion is that it reveals the extent to which people hold their beliefs. Apparently, billions of dollars are being donated by those who hold belief in God, culture, architecture, or philanthropy.

Apparently, those who believe in the environmental cause are unwilling to sacrifice as much of their own earnings for their cause.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A French newspaper revealed that it was common for workers to smoke on the roof of Notre Dame.

Two private security guards were supposed to be on site 24/7, only one was there that day, and he called the fire brigade 35 minutes after the smoke alarm went off.

Top Bottom