• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I’m glad he said it. A retired Supreme Court Justice just stated that the gun control these people are after violates the 2d Amendment.

There will be no repeal.

Who needs a repeal?

You now have a "Wise Latina" and a, uh...Elena Kagan on the court to define / interpret / clarify what Scalia's "individual right to own a handgun for home defense" _doesn't_ include.

If you're not worried...you're not paying attention.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    You know, I sometimes think we are doomed; then I run into the most unlikely allies. I am 32 years military, and I see lots of kids, at least to me, that are pro 2A. Computer nerds, supply guys, grunts, kids down the road from me, and I think that sometimes we focus on the negatives that we are bombarded with on news/social media. There are a lot of “us” out there and not all old like me. Gives me hope. Plus my own kids of course.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale

At age 97 he's just trying to sell a few more copies of his book, "Six Amendments: How and Why We Should Change the Constitution."

I've looked through it and one of his amendments would be to modify, not repeal, the second amendment. He wants to modernize the language of the 2nd to specify that people have the right to keep and bear arms "when serving in the militia" meaning that only military personnel would get guns. Sounds like a totalitarian state to me.

FWIW, his other amendments would be as follows:

- Amend Article VI to eliminate the "anti-commandeering rule" so that state and local officials can be forced to work for federal authorities when new laws and procedures are enacted. This came into play in the 90's when they passed the AWB and tried to force local authorities to run background checks for the feds. Lots of local cops said, "not my job" and the court upheld that argument.

- New amendment to eliminate political gerrymandering when redrawing district lines so that a political party can't create illogical districts in order to preserve its own power. Creating districts based on ethnic or cultural groupings would be allowed but not political lines.

- New amendment to allow the restriction of campaign contributions. Currently the argument is that the 1st amendment allows people to contribute whatever they like to whomever they like.

- New amendment to eliminate the concept of "sovereign immunity" which basically says that state governments are immune from being sued for failure to follow an act of Congress. This would be interesting in light of California's status as a sanctuary state.

- Amend the 8th amendment to abolish the death penalty by specifically defining capital punishment as "cruel and unusual."

Pretty dry reading, not exactly Shakespeare, but its interesting to note how a liberal legal mind thinks. And Stevens was nominated by Nixon.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    At age 97 he's just trying to sell a few more copies of his book, "Six Amendments: How and Why We Should Change the Constitution."

I've looked through it and one of his amendments would be to modify, not repeal, the second amendment. He wants to modernize the language of the 2nd to specify that people have the right to keep and bear arms "when serving in the militia" meaning that only military personnel would get guns. Sounds like a totalitarian state to me.

FWIW, his other amendments would be as follows:

- Amend Article VI to eliminate the "anti-commandeering rule" so that state and local officials can be forced to work for federal authorities when new laws and procedures are enacted. This came into play in the 90's when they passed the AWB and tried to force local authorities to run background checks for the feds. Lots of local cops said, "not my job" and the court upheld that argument.

- New amendment to eliminate political gerrymandering when redrawing district lines so that a political party can't create illogical districts in order to preserve its own power. Creating districts based on ethnic or cultural groupings would be allowed but not political lines.

- New amendment to allow the restriction of campaign contributions. Currently the argument is that the 1st amendment allows people to contribute whatever they like to whomever they like.

- New amendment to eliminate the concept of "sovereign immunity" which basically says that state governments are immune from being sued for failure to follow an act of Congress. This would be interesting in light of California's status as a sanctuary state.

- Amend the 8th amendment to abolish the death penalty by specifically defining capital punishment as "cruel and unusual."

Pretty dry reading, not exactly Shakespeare, but its interesting to note how a liberal legal mind thinks. And Stevens was nominated by Nixon.

This liberal legal mind seems to be agitated because the Constitution gets in the way of what he perceives to be "good government" policy. This read like a liberal statist wish list.

Reminded me of an article from The Onion a few years back about making the Bill of Rights more "manageable:" https://www.theonion.com/bill-of-rights-pared-down-to-a-manageable-six-1819566691

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    We have all known all along that the ultimate goal is to take away our guns. I have noticed that the anti-gun rhetoric has turned largely from "we are not coming for your guns" to "repeal the second, make guns illegal".

Stevens, in all his stupidity, is also for repealing many other amendments. He, and those that think alike, see the constitution as nothing more than something in their way of running a government the way they think is best.

Luckily for us the constitution is there to protect us from the likes of Stevens. They can cry and complain all they want, but the 2nd isn't going anywhere.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I saw this article posted on social media by a former classmate. Who also happens to work at PP.

How on earth is this even a legitimate thought?

i don't understand this line of logic.

It's really the only argument for gun control that I have any respect for.

It acknowledges that the 2A is an impediment to any future, and probably most current, gun control laws.

That's a good thing.:yesway:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Saw a stat (FWIW) that only 1/5 American adults are in favor of repealing/amending the 2A.

I'm ok with that number. (Plus, the blurb I saw didn't clarify how many of those would like to see it amended to include stronger protection for gun rights.) ;)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    March of our lives performer arrested of gun crime in 2017.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/new...-gun-crime-in-2017/ar-BBKK7rO?ocid=spartanntp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree that only those without sin should throw stones and all that, the gun crime was an asinine technicality that many of us bemoan: he has a permit to carry in another state but carried in California which does not recognize the other state's permit. I do find it a bit ironic that someone who does/has carried and has a permit is participating in such events. Goes to show, money/popularity > morals and principles.

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    I do find it a bit ironic that someone who does/has carried and has a permit is participating in such events. Goes to show, money/popularity > morals and principles.

That was my point in posting. A guy that owns a gun...a permit to carry...is singing in support of the March of Our Lives fight for stricter gun control laws. You’d think the organizers of the event would have vetted their performers a little better. I guess there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Justice Stevens has been wrong on many issues of legal or Constitutional significance, particularly in the final dozen or so years of his tenure. Nice to see he's retained his form in retirement. Please, sir, go away now.

Top Bottom