NWI 2010 Meet & Shoot End of Year Review.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    First of all Mike (Andrea, Mikea, catmanjoea, and all of his other names) has always been opposed to JP. He is 7 minutes away from the Winimac range, who wouldn't be opposed to somewhere else?

Jedi, you have done a great job getting everyone together, spamming people, and general organization of all of this. Much of this wouldn't have happened without you.

"Now back to why Winamac? It's the only range (public) I have gone to. I have heard all sorts of "bad" stories about the other ranges in our area (JP, Willow..) about unsafe handling, overcrowded, nazi ROs, etc."

There are bad stories about any range. I personall HATE Kingsbury because I'm being babysat and Willow Slough for the same reason.

JP can get crowded. The RO at JP will not allow anyone to place anything but paper down range. Same as Winimac now I'm sure.

"and at Winamac as you can see we "owe" the range the day we go since we are so many"

What I am saying is that JP we will not "own" the range. It is large enough to have everyone there plus some. Set the grill up in the parking lot that is 20 times bigger than Winimac.

First...

Thanks buddy in case there were any mods who missed my Arshole stage.... LMAO

Second...

I am not opposed to any other ranges, for what I had originally planned Winamac was ideal. It was a few somewhat close friends getting in a day of real world practice. GOW an I have met a couple times at both Winamac and NPC ?? and both times we have sighted in and fixed other problems with firearms and blasted through some ammo.

The covered shooting positions are a blessing when trying to zero. Keep my large frame out of the hot sunlight. (for those that don't know myself and GOW together exceed the Cargo capacity of most small pickups).

It is relatively shielded from wind also making zeroing easier.

For the current group it needs to be somewhere else!!!!

The Halloween shoot from 2009 was designed more as a social gathering and a chance to waste some ammo and that is why I chose JP for that.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have attended 3 shoots...and I never felt safety was a problem although it is always a concern, especially with new people in attendance.
    The biggest concern was too many people at the line and the biggest danger was getting hit with other peoples empties.
    Also I don't like the idea of no centerfire rifles at the 25yd range. The bench on the far right should be designated as either pistol or rifle.
    The reasoning being ...an AR or AK can throw the empties too far and might hit someone on another bench.
    I also think that when there ar a lot of people there we should be shooting in groups...maybe 30 min. a group.
    As far as Safety... I am all for it.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    First...

Thanks buddy in case there were any mods who missed my Arshole stage.... LMAO

Second...

I am not opposed to any other ranges, for what I had originally planned Winamac was ideal. It was a few somewhat close friends getting in a day of real world practice. GOW an I have met a couple times at both Winamac and NPC ?? and both times we have sighted in and fixed other problems with firearms and blasted through some ammo.

The covered shooting positions are a blessing when trying to zero. Keep my large frame out of the hot sunlight. (for those that don't know myself and GOW together exceed the Cargo capacity of most small pickups).

It is relatively shielded from wind also making zeroing easier.

For the current group it needs to be somewhere else!!!!

The Halloween shoot from 2009 was designed more as a social gathering and a chance to waste some ammo and that is why I chose JP for that.

Yeah...we planned a cookout and all....but it was too darn cold.
    Hard to hit a target when you are shaking

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Winimac is kind of a haul, not that I've actually driven there. JP would be closed and a bigger range would be better. That way we dont totally occupy any one firing line. On the other hand taking the Centerfire rifles to the longer ranges could thin out the hoard on the 25.

I do like the idea of JP though or even Willow slough.
    Fact is, unless somebody buys a crapload of land our options for ranges are limited.

i like the jp idea, i go there all the time, but willow slough? hell no!! i will never set foot in that range ever again, period!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Again anyone have an arieal of JP?

Google gives me this but not sure where the range is at?

5822 N. Fish and Wildlife Lane, Medaryville, IN 47957 - Google Maps

pics anyone?

Based on google maps JP is only 15 min less of a drive than winamac?

Just take the aerial of Winamac and remove everything nice and stick the skeet range next to it...

Just kidding. JP is a dump compared to Winamac but for the size of the group I think it is best. Besides I love their chicken wire backstops.;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just take the aerial of Winamac and remove everything nice and stick the skeet range next to it...

Just kidding. JP is a dump compared to Winamac but for the size of the group I think it is best. Besides I love their chicken wire backstops.;)

Is this it?
    range-dnr-jp.png

If so is it 25, 200, 100, 50 and the grass to the right the skeet range?

I don't see any covering? is there?
    Are there benches? Are they the same like Winamac minus the covering?
    Lots of parking I see.
    Where is the RO house?
    What about bathrooms? Do we have any? It's the portable kind right?

Hum.. where would we grill? Not much area "behind" the line to talk/smoke/mingle. :dunno:

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI

JP is a dump compared to Winimac....but the nice part is the fact that you don't have to carry your stuff out to where you are going to shoot. Just take it to and from your trunk.
    We should try it sometime and let everyone decide if they wanted continue there.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I agree....but if you say no centerfire rifles at the 25yd range...to me that means I can't zero in my scope there either.

At the last few shoots I haven't seen ANYONE zero a Centerfire rifle at the 25. I saw one guy zero his AK at the 50. Jediagh gas been zeroing his .22s, and that's about it. I guess that's what I mean, no Centerfire rifles at the 25 unless you have the express purpose of zeroing and moving out.

That's where a nice polite (INGO)RO comes in handy.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    At the last few shoots I haven't seen ANYONE zero a Centerfire rifle at the 25. I saw one guy zero his AK at the 50. Jediagh gas been zeroing his .22s, and that's about it. I guess that's what I mean, no Centerfire rifles at the 25 unless you have the express purpose of zeroing and moving out.

That's where a nice polite (INGO)RO comes in handy.

"gas" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Correct @ NOV's shoot I think I was the only one who was zeroing in the last of my 10/22s. In OCT or perhaps SEP we did have someone "Old Guy" I think is his name who had a new AK with a scope that was using the 25 to zero it in. I know bubba zeroed his 10/22 back in the summer on the 25 before moving to the 50 to fire away with it. Other wise we have had lots of 10/22 on the 25 shooting at getting into the applesseed mode position.

I'm not firearm savy by any means and perhaps I don't venture to the 50 more because I don't have the equipment to see that far down range. The binoculars I have aren't that powerful beyond the 25 yard range. So for me shooting the 10/22 and AK on the 25 while laying on the floor or sitting cross leg is good enough for me in terms of being able to shoot and see where it lands. The concept that my 10/22 and AK can reach BEYOND the 25 yard mark is one I have to get use to I guess. Yes it sounds silly to some but at event events is the ONLY time I get to shoot the SG/AK that I owe since there is no other place around me area to do so. It's all pistol and .22 caliber rifle only.

I don't have an issue with keeping the .22 rifles on the 25 yard since they are "soft" noise wise and it appears that (the noise) is the issue that some have. Cassing flying is going to occur no matter where you are at. Everyone firing AR/AKs on the 50 at the same time is going to be the same issue of noise and flying casses everywhere.

So what **IS** the core issue we are trying to get at with the AK/ARs on the 25? Is it noise? It is cases flying? Is it something else?

Perhaps investing in some group binoculars that are for the 50/100 yard range would be a good idea? Group buy maybe? Anyone have recommendations on such an item? I LOVE GB's tripod green scope. You can see the 50 like if it was right in front of your nose! But that little scope is $350 i think. So perhaps something less expensive? Something that we can use on the 50 to be able to see.

Sure some of you don't have this issue with the scopes on your rifles but not all of us have a scope nor want a scope on our rifles.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    So what **IS** the core issue we are trying to get at with the AK/ARs on the 25? Is it noise? It is cases flying? Is it something else?
    I'd say those are issues with the rifles, but I think overcrowding the line is the biggest one.

And by all means shoot rimfire at the 25 all day long, that makes sense.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I wasn't going to chime in here, as I think everything that needed to be said has been said. I seen one major boo boo, and it concerned my 500. Not sure who it was but they seemed rather unfamiliar with revolvers. I gave some overview on loading and unloading, the mechanics and such. I also explained the recoil would be to knock an unsuspecting person to the ground. I watched over him as he loaded the 500 with one round, instructed as to which the counter clockwise motion of the cylinder and watched directly behind him as he fired his shot. After the shot was fired he held the 50 down, looking to me like he was about to unload, but then preceeded to turn to the left and sweeping 451 with cylinder closed. I reacted by grabbing the gun and positioning it back down range, as I did that he apoligized because he instantly knew he was in the wrong. I felt after that no other words needed to be said by me on that matter. And I do applogize to you 451 as I know nobody ever want to be muzzle swept with any weapon, exspecially one with a barrel you can drop a quarter in. I didn't notice any other saftey violations around me.

The stands were nice to try out, maybe something that we could bring out depending on the group size and only for hand guns. The group we had was to large for the stands. When we have a large group like that, shooters should be allowed to walk down range like last time and shoot directly at the backdrops. I did see some angle shooting(shooting from the left bench into a stand one stall over, which prevents the back stop from doing its job) which should be a no no, but as soon as I saw it it was stopped. not sure if anyone said something or they just were done shooting at the time.

Safety is a number one priority, but as in this shoot and others, I feel we INGOers do a pretty good job of policing ourselves. As to the guy who said he sat back at a shoot and didnt make himself known, said people would percieve us as an unorganized group of monkeys with guns. I could see that coming from people who are scared of guns and anti gun people, but I cant see people who enjoy shooting percieving it that way. In the past shoots we've had people nit incvolved with INGO come and join use, I don't think they would happily join us for **** chat and shooting, if they seen use that way.

Turnandshoot, not exactly sure if your one post was entirley directed at me bringing the 500. I'm thinking you wanted to use me as an example. But I don't like half sticks of dynamite, if all I wanted to do was make noise, I wouldn't have bothered shelling out a weeks pay on a bang stick. I like big bore handguns. And yes they hurt me, but I like it, which is why I save my few shots of the 500 until I'm done shooting for the day. I bring a couple boxes of ammo with because I know the 500 isn't exactly a popular caliber, and alot of people want to experience the thrill that comes with firing one. After fireing it some people love it, some people hate it and one guy screams like a girl that just had her pigtails dipped in the inkwell at school.

As for all the other concerns I use these meet and shoots not to hone my skills, but to meet new people that have the same interests as I do. And also catching up with a few people that I consider my friends. Shooting different firearms of interest to see what I should add to my list of wants and shooting the breeze. When I need to practice up and hone my skills I head out to the range by myself or jsut a couple people. I try to get in practice every chance I get, these events to me are for social gathering were some shooting takes place.

If everyone wants to have a honing your skills shoot, with drills and the like thats cool. But I never thought of these meets as that. I enjoy the meet and eats also, but the meet and shoots are by far my favorite thing. I love the atmosphere, commorodity and seeing everyones firearms of choice in action. I don't care wether they're loud, quiet, fast, slow, ugly, pretty or whatever. It's a great event to behold, sure there are some no-nos going on, but anytime you have a large group theres always going to be something or somebody that makes someone uncomfortable. But this event as with the rest I've been to have gone pretty well, and I think we do a pretty good job of policing ourselves.

Depending on the turn of events and such, for next year I may or may not attend. If I do rest assured I will continue to bring my 500 along with any other big bore handguns I happen to aquire in that time frame. If anybody doesn't like big bore handguns, no problem you don't have to shoot them. if you do want to shoot them or any of my guns you all are more then welcome to them. I think we are all a great group of people and I have no problems with anyone. Although the suggestion of having me bring a half stick did irritate me a little.

That is all, have a nice day!:ar15:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I don't think that a rifle shooting a pistol bullet should be any kind of a problem, infact it would be quieter than a pistol shooting the same bullet.
    So...what are we saying here? No shotguns shooting slugs or buckshot at the 25yd range either?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Perhaps investing in some group binoculars that are for the 50/100 yard range would be a good idea? Group buy maybe? Anyone have recommendations on such an item? I LOVE GB's tripod green scope. You can see the 50 like if it was right in front of your nose! But that little scope is $350 i think. So perhaps something less expensive? Something that we can use on the 50 to be able to see.

Sure some of you don't have this issue with the scopes on your rifles but not all of us have a scope nor want a scope on our rifles.

You can make do with a 20 dollar set of bino's at fifty yards if you don't have a spotting scope, heck a used 10 dollar rifle scope will work hand held. Also you never have to wait more than a couple minutes for a break in the action on the fifty to walk down and check your targets.

But if you want a regular spotting scope that can be used for a variety of things...not just at the range all you need do is look online, for example...

Amazon.com: Barska® 20 - 60x60 mm Waterproof Spotting Scope: Sports & Outdoors

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Sportsman-20x50mm-Compact-Spotting/dp/B000SHUO8S"]Amazon.com: Bushnell Sportsman 20x50mm Compact Spotting Scope: Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

Or a monocular for 11 bucks Tasco Monocular 10x 25mm Rubber Armored Camo - MidwayUSA and a cheap tripod for 10 bucks [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Innovations-Aluminum-Tripod-Innovative/dp/B000ZD0CXW"]Amazon.com: Alpine Innovations D-Pod, Mini Aluminum Tripod with Innovative Tilt Head: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame] and a hose clamp and you are set with one that will fit easily in with your gear.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Is this it?
    range-dnr-jp.png

If so is it 25, 200, 100, 50 and the grass to the right the skeet range?

I don't see any covering? is there?
    Are there benches? Are they the same like Winamac minus the covering?
    Lots of parking I see.
    Where is the RO house?
    What about bathrooms? Do we have any? It's the portable kind right?

Hum.. where would we grill? Not much area "behind" the line to talk/smoke/mingle. :dunno:

No Ro house the guy sits in a pickup truck....there is a porta potty though. No covering...just benches.

Top Bottom