NWI INGO Meet & Shoot: Sunday, 14 NOV 2010 - Last 1 for 2010!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Alright hommies...WT@#$%&.... I'm italian, I got family don't you know.... and back on topic, plus 1 as my brothers youngest wants to go so I'm bringing him out. He's been to the range before, but not too many times.... I've got a ammo bearer... to get all this stuff out to the range though so I guess it will all work out for the best...

You won't find a hommie up at 7AM though....

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    GB has family!!! What!!! I though he was some government experiment gone wrong. :laugh:

BTW I got the "holiday card" ready to go. Plus I just wrapped up this little gift for the RO as well.

s7_515901_999_01

Figured its a small token to give him as well.

I'm off to bed c ya all 2morrow!

LocustsOfSteel

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Beverly Shores
    Great event, too bad the anual ice age is going to hold up further meet and shoots till spring.
    Everyone obviously brought there best and favorite weapons, the 25 yard was annihilated and even though i feel bad for the RO i still think that's awesome.
    Clif, Thanks for the ride.:yesway:
    EvilBlackRifle, That was one accurate AR, and i appreciate the left over dogs.:)
    Bob, that was a good cigar, and i will drop by your shop sometime soon.
    Andy, that Win500 rotating cannon of yours got the best reactions:):

Does anyone have any:gotpics:?

I smell like i survived a munition factory fire, time to take a shower, and clean my guns.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm getting ready to take apart my 458 SOCOM to see what the heck happened.

Looks like I broke a firing pin? Definitely bent the detent spring and broke the detent that holds in the recoil assembly and recoil spring. WTF? I have all the parts I need except an extra firing pin . . . but I can probably just steal one of those from another rifle temporarily.

I did have some fun shooting the 6.5 Grendel but that scope was knocked and it was no longer shooting to point of aim. No real biggie, we shot to a point and still got some semi-decent groups.

It was nice to get the Thompson 1927 A5 back out of the safe. And I picked up some new stick magazines and a new 50 round drum too!!!

I [strike]hate[/strike] love you all, especially Andy. You just wait. Luck will follow you.

Hey, I didn't rat you out :laugh:

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Once again a mighty thanks to all you guys and gals today. My 13 year old son was in heaven, I thank everyone who let him shoot up their stuff he had so much fun. Man was it cold, the cigars got mixed reviews which is good, I like to hear the good, bad, and ugly when it comes to my cigars that my company makes. I had a great time, it really was like one big family out there today and I and my son enjoyed every minute of it I really have never met such a great group of people:popcorn:

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Great event, too bad the anual ice age is going to hold up further meet and shoots till spring.
    Everyone obviously brought there best and favorite weapons, the 25 yard was annihilated and even though i feel bad for the RO i still think that's awesome.
    Clif, Thanks for the ride.:yesway:
    EvilBlackRifle, That was one accurate AR, and i appreciate the left over dogs.:)
    Bob, that was a good cigar, and i will drop by your shop sometime soon.
    Andy, that Win500 rotating cannon of yours got the best reactions:):

Does anyone have any:gotpics:?

I smell like i survived a munition factory fire, time to take a shower, and clean my guns.

No problem, It was good meeting and talking to you both. If you guys need anything feel free to call me.

Gunbunnies: remember, if you ever want to make room in the safe, I will hold on to that saiga for you.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    AAR - Donations, Supplies, PVC Stands, & My Experience

DONATIONS
    Pot Going Into Event: $31.30 (jediagh) + $20 (Clif45)

We got 3 donations this time around: 6 + 20 + 20
    LadyGhost + :dunno: + :dunno:
    Sorry to the $20 donors but I did not write down who you were. :faint: Next time I need to write on the bills who is getting me money. Fail on my part. :xmad:

Pot Post Event: $77.30 (jediagh) + $20 (Clif45)

SUPPLIES
    We still have
    - 1/2 case of regular cans of Coke from the OCT shoot.
    - a few napkins left (about 1/8 of the bag is left)

The beef jerky is all gone.

PVC STANDS
    2 stand are still intact no damage (1 was NOT used)

1 stand was damaged & will need new bases (I have PVC to repair it or we can use the destroyed stand)

1 stand was destroyed at the Ts, Elbows, and Bases. :noway:

----
    My Comments on Donations

We left the 25 yard range 95% destroyed. The middle & right boards were already missing 25% when we got there. We left all 3 boards at 90%+ damaged and they will all need to be replaced. No biggie as they have enough boards thanks to our prior donations. Of bigger concern is that we also managed to damaged all 6 of the post. 3 of them are pretty much destroyed to the point that they will have to be replaced.

So for March 2011 we need to take AT LEAST 6 POST for them. I think with the current pot we can cover that. But I do feel bad for the conditions we left the boards/posts this time around. Seems like we sent a lot of brass downrange with the group we had this time.

Suspect that the biggest damaged was caused by the high number of shotguns we had on the range this time. The SG drums/sticks were fun but I suggest next time we leave them at home until the end of the season. They do too much damage to everything.

Comments on Supplies
    The "pop from Mexico" was a big hit. In terms of non-food supplies we are OK (napkins, plates, foil, cups) about 50% in inventory. I need to get with melensdad to figure out how much he spent on meat and propane this year as he has done the bulk of the buying for that. We need to look into spreading that cost around a bit for next year, me thinks. I know hot dogs are cheap per pack but it does add up over the months. Plus we have added to the menu now to include: polish, red hots, and burgers.

Comments on PVC Stands
    Hum... Hum... SOME OF YOU WERE VERY BAD BOYS! :noway: The stands did work when used with the handguns but alas they just can't take the beating of the shotguns. Yes blasting at the cardboard and making big holes it in is fun but alas the PVC and cardboard mess left behind is a bit too messy. I asked Clif45 to take the stands with him. Not sure at this point if they should come back or not. Reason being that we left long lines in the grass leading up to the backboards where bullets went a flying. Not sure the extent of the damage we did to the grass since it's dead due to winter. But alas since some were not shooting straight but downward it caused issues.

Yes the stands work but we need to either police ourselves or just have the last 2 on the far right and ONLY for pistols while the stand and person are STANDING!

Comments Admin Wise
    I think everyone got a chance to sign the holiday card for the RO, whose name BTW is Lowell Kraft (thanks to SCREAM evilblackrifle for finding out). I gave it to him along with the wrapped gift on our behalf and told him thank you for everything he has done since we have been coming in March.

---
    My Experience
    Well I finally got my 10/22 (1st one) sighted! :rockwoot: Looks like I might have a future gunsmith in the house. If you recall this 10/22 was the first one I put the TechSights on & my daughter was the one that took of the std. sights with a hammer by telling me "Daddy just hit it hard" as she gave the hammer a big swing onto the 10/22. She is 5 BTW. Nearly freaked me out but she got the sights off. Well in any case in the last 2 meets the gun kept shooting down and to the right no matter how much I tried to adjust the sights. Used Remington Golden Boy and Federal.

Well prior to this meet I gave her a rubber mallet and told her to hit the sights once. She did and when using the federal it was now just shooting downwards a bit. Clif45 gave me some mini-mags and that did the trick. A few more adjustments and it was finally centered. Used the federal again and same result but every now and then a bit off. So looks like the 2nd hit with the mallet did the trick. Plus using the CCG??? mini-mags brand of ammo on it.

Ruger MK3 finally got to put some quality time with this little gun. Sent close to 300 rounds this time. The golden boy rem is a piece of junk for this gun as I noticed every 5th round it would not fire. My AR-7 would love the golden boy so I still have about 1 bulk box left that I'll go thru but when using the federal it was all fine. Just need to practice some more with it. Hopefully cleaning it this time won't kill me. LOL!!

AK-47 saw very little action this time around. 30 rounds. :( I brought it more so that my co-worker could try it out. MeAndMyXD also tried it since his brand new WASR-10 was giving him issues. MeAndMyXD that really sux of your brand new gun. Hope you can get it fixed. Blythes should be able to do something for you I hope. Keep us posted on that please.

Moss500 finally got some limited time with it and it was good. Thanks Clif45 for helping me deplete the shells I brought for it and the Saiga. I would like to get a pattern test of the Buck 00 next time as I have never done that and this is my HD gun. :faint:

THANKS
    Gunbunnies thank you for bring out the drum it was fun but it does make for shooting the saiga sort of akward (hand wise). BIGGER thanks for bringing the M1 Garand! 3 rounds and hearing the "pling" was all I really wanted to do from it. The round is big but it did not feel bad on the recoil due to the weight of that gun. NICE, NICE, NICE!!! Perhaps one day I might be able to get me one if only I could afford to feed it. :( Lastly the .30 carbine was a nice treat to shoot. Off course it's like a LEGO gun cause stuff keep falling off of it. :laugh: Still good shoot for $5. :)

Turn&Shoot the "man riffles" you let me shoot. WOW! Especially the scoped 1 that was nice, nice, nice.

GhostofWinter, Clif45, GB and Melensdad thank you for bring your gear so my co-worker could shoot it. They liked everything they were able to shoot and from what I heard from them they want to come again in MAR since they still have a ton of ammo left and they both liked it. It's a long drive for them from Chicago but well worth it she told me.

SPECIAL THANKS FOR THE SEASON
    I want to do a ghetto "shout out" to melensdad for bring out his little grill and being the cook at the majority of the meets. Without him we would be starving 1/2 thru the day out there. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I also want to thank Clif45's pickup :) for hauling plywood and other supplies to so many of our events. Hum.. oh yeah thank you 2 Clif. ;) Seriously without your handy work it would make my life a bit harder in terms of hauling stuff.

GhostOfWinter & AuntieBellum/Bubba a big thank you to your 3 for having starter guns (handguns and rifles) and ammo for the new shooters I brough thru out the year. At the start of the year I have zero guns to show the new shooters and depended heavly on you 3. THANK YOU!

Andre no I have not forgotten you. Thank you for introducing us to the range back in March 2010. Some may think you are a ghost but I know better. :D

END OF SEASON & 2011
    I hope everyone had a great time this season. I had a :ar15:and look forward to 2011 and another 9 months of meet & shoots! :rockwoot:It was great to finally be able to put faces to some of the names on INGO and to get to meet even those lukers that never seem to post but are always at the events. :D

I'll be PMing you all at the end of FEB 2011 with dates to vote for MAR 2011 when we re-start. Also in the next few days be on the look out for a post about a letter/idea for the range for next year.

Some of us would like to donate some picnic benches for the range (25 and/or 50 yard) range area so we have a place to seat and eat. There are a serious of issues we need to overcome (permission, the tables, where, do we need cement, etc...). I'll be opening up a new post in a few days with the idea and what I would like to do (contact manager at range) and what we may need to do. I'll make a ref to it on the NWI INGO group as well as the offical NWI INGO status thread. The post will appear in the break room most likely.

Well I've been at it for a while now (WAKE UP!) time to put the little ones to bed and then it's off to clean the guns. YEAH RIGHT! Heck no. Them babies can wait. I need a shower. :D

ps.
    I will ask the MOD to close this thread in 48 hours so get your AARs in if you have any.

ps2.
    I got pictures but need to upload them. Later tonight if not tomorrow.

ps3.
    & no I did not get a video of the SCREAM either. :( Sry EvilBlackRifle we could of made you a famous YouTube sensation. :laugh:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Wifey and I had a tremendous time. Seeing her pop that damn 400 gr Smith was about as bad as it gets. She makes me proud. Thanks so much Andy, it was great to see you out today.

CigarBob, it was interesting trying the maduro Big Butt. The natural are about all I smoke, so I appreciated something new. I don't know if it was as good, but it definitely wasn't bad, and I could see firing one up now and again.

GeronimoJoe, sorry about that Mosin Nagant that wouldn't work with Russian ammo (?!). I never had that problem before, but I believe (hope) a little oil would help. On a brighter note, you are no longer the only one who breaks melensdad's guns in creative ways.

Ghost, thank you for the .45 bullet. Between the one you had and the one melensdad promised me, I'm a quarter of the way to being cocked and locked.

As to the PVC breaking and making a mess...come on, was it really that much of a surprise? I hate to say "I told you so," but... Even with pistol, give them one or two sessions and they will be gone. That's why people shoot steel. And the no shotguns on the range idea? A majority of people were firing shotguns, and everyone was having fun and being safe. We have more than paid for any boards or posts that were damaged, I mean come on, it's a firing range. Let's not start assigning arbitrary rules. We shoot up the wood, we replace it, more so than anyone else down there I am sure. I don't think that it gives us special privilege, but I won't be restricted either.

Brothers and sisters, today was a really great time. There is a well-defined dynamic and we all know and appreciate each other. We have different ideas, but are united through common ideals. You are all a great bunch of people and I look forward to starting back up next year. I'll be standing by with my AR and my donation. As for March, put me down for +1 with several 1911s (.45), and a WASR-10!

Have a great New Year everyone. Until then, I'll be seeing everyone on here.

Mahalo!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well I am happy again. I was pretty disappointed with the problems I had with the 458 SOCOM today. Turned out that the problem was my detent pin. Upon examination (I found the pin inside the gun) part of it had sheared off and part of the buffer tube had sheared/worn also. That allowed the detent pin to shoot out (and into the lower), it also allowed the spring to pop up, which was subsequently damaged by the recoil assembly and spring.

I've replaced all the springs, inserted a new detent, reinstalled everything and its all function testing like it should. The problem seems to have been caused by the MagPul UBR buttstock installation I did late this summer. The UBR uses a completely different type of buffer tube that is proprietary to MagPul's UBR stock, the very end of the threads seemed to give way and that allowed the detent to rise up and shear apart??? At least that's my theory.

I still have to sight in the scope, but I may be able to do that tomorrow. I had hoped to do that at the INGO shoot today and then let people shoot this gun. Oh well, there is always the next INGO shoot.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well the target stands ... I really didn't think the RO would let us use those but there they were and it's just a fact of life if you put something down range it's gonna get shot... Unfortunately we probally won't get a chance to use them again, if Jediagh can bandage them back together with his drama kit...

I had a blast out there today, you are all a fine group of fellow shooters that I have become fond of spending time with on the range... The next three months are going to feel long, and I will look forward to the March 2011 Meet and shoot for sure...

By the way, I think the Saiga 12 was a hit... I'm very happy that you guys were launching lead out of her enjoyed her also... This thing is addictive, as I believe Clif and Ghost will second... since I had to keep Ghost from trying to take her home with him at the end of the day... So in that vane here's a place where you guys can get one of your own for like 460.00 I believe, and then we can reconviene in March to level another backstop... ou ra...

https://www.mdarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=14

Melensdad, things just break from time to time, I really missed the chance to fire that 460 Socom, maybe next year... It sounded like it had a real bark and some bite to go with it...

Jediagh, the grass was all dead already... it will grow back don't worry...

There was no live strands of grass hurt or killed during the NWI meet and shoot event, all grass that was present was already dead and therefore in no danger at any time...

Later...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OK back now that I've showered and had time to think if I missed anything. Typically of me to miss stuff. =)

Big thanks to all the money donations throughout the year that allowed us to bring a boat load of plywood to the range. =)

I'm sure I have missed other things but I'm beat and the bed is oh so calling my name!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well the target stands ... I really didn't think the RO would let us use those but there they were and it's just a fact of life if you put something down range it's gonna get shot... Unfortunately we probally won't get a chance to use them again, if Jediagh can bandage them back together with his drama kit...
    Ah but that is why we have "handy Manny" clif45! I gave him the PVC targets so that he can work on bringing them back to life. ;)

So in that vane here's a place where you guys can get one of your own for like 460.00 I believe, and then we can reconviene in March to level another backstop... ou ra...

https://www.mdarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=14
    Oh I think I know what I would like Santa to bring me. :D

Jediagh, the grass was all dead already... it will grow back don't worry...

There was no live strands of grass hurt or killed during the NWI meet and shoot event, all grass that was present was already dead and therefore in no danger at any time...

Later...
    Hum.. you are starting to sound like one of those PC environmentalist. :laugh:

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    I had a good time although I got there late. The new WASR 10 problems was a little disappointing but toward the end it seemed to fire fine. I will pay a visit to Blythes tomorrow to see if they can help with the problems.

Thanks jediagh for letting me try your mag and your AK.

Thanks GB for taking a look at my WASR and for the advice hopefully I can get it taken care of tomorrow.

It was nice meeting all of you cant wait to make it down there again. Although I dont think I can wait til March.:D

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Just to play devil's advocate
    Comments on PVC Stands
    Hum... Hum... SOME OF YOU WERE VERY BAD BOYS! :noway: The stands did work when used with the handguns but alas they just can't take the beating of the shotguns. Yes blasting at the cardboard and making big holes it in is fun but alas the PVC and cardboard mess left behind is a bit too messy. I asked Clif45 to take the stands with him. Not sure at this point if they should come back or not. Reason being that we left long lines in the grass leading up to the backboards where bullets went a flying. Not sure the extent of the damage we did to the grass since it's dead due to winter. But alas since some were not shooting straight but downward it caused issues.

Yes the stands work but we need to either police ourselves or just have the last 2 on the far right and ONLY for pistols while the stand and person are STANDING!

If anyone liked shooting their pistols at 25 feet instead of 25 yards they should take note here. A couple more shoots like this and a PVC stand will be an NO GO no matter how nice we are to the RO. The grass was tore up due to shooting at the PVC. An even shot at 25 feet was a low shot at 25 yards. So EVERY shot at the PVC landed 3-6 feet in front of plywood.

This is why we can't have nice things.

As to the PVC breaking and making a mess...come on, was it really that much of a surprise? I hate to say "I told you so," but... Even with pistol, give them one or two sessions and they will be gone. That's why people shoot steel. And the no shotguns on the range idea? A majority of people were firing shotguns, and everyone was having fun and being safe. We have more than paid for any boards or posts that were damaged, I mean come on, it's a firing range. Let's not start assigning arbitrary rules. We shoot up the wood, we replace it, more so than anyone else down there I am sure. I don't think that it gives us special privilege, but I won't be restricted either.

Yes, I was suprised. Any handgun shooting I saw was ON TARGET. I saw some excellent groups with handguns. I think the targets would be in good shape had it continued.

Later...

Flame suit on.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I The new WASR 10 problems was a little disappointing but toward the end it seemed to fire fine. I will pay a visit to Blythes tomorrow to see if they can help with the problems.

When I bought my AK, it jammed every third round. I had just taken it out of the box and gone to the range. Strip it down, clean the cosmoline out of it, scrub the hell out of it with Windex. Oil it up, rub it back down, and put it back together. 40 years worth of dust and preservative were jamming my gun.

Lots of people will probably flip at the thought of using Windex, but anyone in the know about old military firearms will agree.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom