NWI INGO Meet & Shoot: Sunday, 14 NOV 2010 - Last 1 for 2010!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Jediagh, You know Indiana residents can purchase rifles or shotguns across the stateline in Ohio without a FFL dealer being involved legally, athough we would have to do it in person... sounds like a road trip anyone....

No one can have too many of these addictive little lead slingers I tell you...

PC environmentalists, really... na... I think we are at the top of the food chain as you all can tell by the way I eat...

road trip, road trip, road trip... you guys should all warm your souls with a hot, dirty, addictive, piece of russian engenuity... the Saiga 12....

Good evening....

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Turnandshoot, you are probally correct about where the bullets were hitting with using the pvc stands at the closer location, if so then no matter what we do if we put them there we would still end up with the grass missing just ahead of the backstops... so probally shouldn't use them for much more than 22 if that then...

Or move them about half range, as they were alittle closer than that... then we might get enough trajectory on the bullet flight to put the impacts into the real backstop, saving the grass and keeping the range looking original/correct...

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    It was certainly a full house. This is one event that I have almost as much fun watching as I do shooting (I did get my "shoot" itch scratched earlier this week at J-P).

gunbunnies, sorry about your sling. It was force of habit to shoot a rifle with a sling and I wasn't about to change that with your Garand. Take good care of the one I gave you, it has a history and I was proud to see it on that old Garand for a change.

melensdad, thanks for the opportunity to shoot those .380's. I had always wondered about those two platforms (KelTec and LCP). They are little tigers. It was an opportunity I wasn't expecting. Thanks.

turnandshoot4, thanks for letting me shoot the sweetest, smoothest .22 I've ever seen.

Finally, thanks to whoever (sorry I forgot your name) had the pretty, smooth looking, blued, lever action rifle in 450 Alaskan. That is one fine rifle and those soft girlfriend loads made it enjoyable.

A cautionary word on the stands and range use in general. I really think this is the most liberal DNR range available to us at the moment. I suggest we tender that relationship. I've used Willow Slough, Jasper-Pulaski and Kingsbury. I don't think any of those other ranges would let us do half of what we get to do at Winamac.

I'm a newcomer (only two shoots this year) so I don't want to seem like I am stomping on anyone's good time. The concern lies with the condition in which we leave the range after we visit. Yes, it is a shooting range and things are bound to get hit but some caution and restraint should be evident throughout our visit. I would say that repeated occurances of destroyed posts, gouges outside the designated impact area (yes, that is a posted term) and debris fields of shattered PVC will eventually get us banned as a group. I wasn't among the last to leave so I hope everything was put back in good order at the end of the day. I would just hate to see a good thing come to an end.

Not being one to focus on the negative, here's my suggestions.
    • Place a target stand all the way to the left and designate that position for new shooters and shooter lite's (anyone that doesn't want to do a lot of heavy metal blasting). This would allow the new shooters to be coached without being pelted by brass or blasted by concussive discharges on both sides.
    • Place the other stands on the right side of the range and have varying heights that will accomodate shooters based on height.
    • Instruct each shooter to select a target based on where the final impact of his shots will be (preferably the berm).
    • No cross firing (shooting diagnally across your position at a target that is not directly in front of you). All kinds of safety issues with this one. This should really be a no no.
    • Don't be afraid to make changes as the need arises.
    Everyone likes to blast away. Let's be smart, safe and respectful about it so that we'll always be welcomed back.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    When I bought my AK, it jammed every third round. I had just taken it out of the box and gone to the range. Strip it down, clean the cosmoline out of it, scrub the hell out of it with Windex. Oil it up, rub it back down, and put it back together. 40 years worth of dust and preservative were jamming my gun.

Lots of people will probably flip at the thought of using Windex, but anyone in the know about old military firearms will agree.
    yep used it alot, If you guys shoot corrosive ammo here a good trick as well. Take yhe wood off after shooting it, strip it down. Now find a 5 gal bucket, fill with the hottest water you have, add 1/2 cup baking soda and a tsp of dish detergent. Now throw all the metal stuff in there for an hour. flip the rifle over if the barrel is sticking out of the bucket then let it dry and clean as you would. i put 120rds through the tantal and tried this last night. I have no rust at all on it. after the last time i shot it(60rds) it was starting to rust when i got it home. and had to clean it a few times after that. Not a problem at all now:rockwoot:

As for the stands. anyone who has used them before knows that this would happen. I think it would be better if we just moved the operation closer next time and forgo the stands all together.

Woodrow what was going on with your ak? i didnt know you were having problems or i would have been right there to help.

I love coming out for these events and i forgot to pay for the wood. jediagh If i could get with you soon i would like to payup for the pleasure to come out.

Bob and Rob thank you guys so much. I really feel like you guys help make these events so awsome!

turn and shoot thank you, now im lusting after that cz and the 22lr kit:laugh:

I forgot who it was but the gentleman with the 500sw.THANK YOU! i went to sleep with a smile on my face last night thinking about that.:ar15:

jediagh thank you also, if it wasnt for you i doubt this would ever have happened.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    As for the stands. anyone who has used them before knows that this would happen. I think it would be better if we just moved the operation closer next time and forgo the stands all together.

Woodrow what was going on with your ak? i didnt know you were having problems or i would have been right there to help.

Nothing wrong with my AK, brother. I was commenting on someone else's post from last night. When I first got it, it had problems, but after stripping it down, no worries.

I share the same sentiment on the stands. The DNR guy didn't like them to begin with and made special allowances because of who we are. If you want to shoot close up, designate a time to do so and walk up to the back stands. As to post or board damage. We have been replacing them. Ranges are going to get damaged. Period. As long as we aren't being malicious or negligent, and we repair or replace any marks we make, there is nothing more we can do. Me personally though, I don't like the idea of bringing the stands to the range.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    By the way, who was it who unjammed my CZ VZ58. I was in the middle of cooking when that happened, started to play with it, someone went for a screw driver, tapped something and it went right back to working again. But I forgot to say thanks.

OH and I really want one of the SAO factory tuned CZ 75 competition pistols in 9mm. That was SWEET!!!

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    By the way, who was it who unjammed my CZ VZ58. I was in the middle of cooking when that happened, started to play with it, someone went for a screw driver, tapped something and it went right back to working again. But I forgot to say thanks.

I believe it was Sparky241, the above poster. A really sharp guy, he, being infinitely smarter and more prepared than I, actually brought his tools. What's more, he was able to diagnose and repair the issue almost immediately.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008

OH and I really want one of the SAO factory tuned CZ 75 competition pistols in 9mm. That was SWEET!!!
    that would be me:cool:

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    I believe it was Sparky241, the above poster. A really sharp guy, he, being infinitely smarter and more prepared than I, actually brought his tools. What's more, he was able to diagnose and repair the issue almost immediately.

im an ak guy. i built one and own 2 with another yugo kit im waiting to get the receiver for so i can build it as well. god i love these things but they are addictive.:D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    that would be me:cool:

I thought so, but forgot to say thank you. Things were sort of hectic with the burger flipping and the hot dog rotating and the sauerkraut stirring . . .

So THANK YOU

Now you've got me searching for a 9mm conversion barrel!
    I know they make 9mm guns because today I checked the CZ custom shop website.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    OK...time for me to post my AAR. Yes LadyGhost and I were able to make it this time. The last few months I have either had to work or was at the NFA day proceedings. I'd like to take a few moments to thanks a few people that have taken something that was first started by myself and another and care for it and nurture it to the point it is now. Jedi, Without you being the diehard cheerleader and type of guy you are there would not be a monthly shoot like there is now. Last year there were only two meet and shoot events that I am aware of (one in the spring and one on halloween). You took it upon yourself to make this the success it is now. I thank you for all your tireless effort.

Turnandshoot4, Byron you and I were saddled with the shoot on halloween 2009 by circumstances and it was a success I think. (it was bitter cold but we had a decent turnout nonetheless.) It was good to see you were able to make this shoot, although you did get a bit lost and needed directions to find the place. LOL

Melensdad, you have been a tireless proponent for both INGO as well as our second amendment rights. With you bringing not only your cool toys to shoots as well as the grill you have also helped make these what they are now. I find it refreshing to that you were and are willing to host OC events at your cigar shops. I mean afterall we ALL know that anyone that carries a gun is going to go crazy and shoot everyone!

There are so many more like Clif45 who has helped with the plywood and post for the range, and bubba and auntibellum who have been promoting not only INGO and shooting sports in NWI but also Appleseed as well. Andy219 you and your mobile handcannon are a treat as well (with or without the scream) Gunbunnies for bringing out the saiga and the garand.

I can't think of anywhere else a person can say 'I would LOVE to shoot XYZ, but I don't have one or know anyone that does' and someone in our group not only has one (usually several someones LOL) But are more than willing to bring it to the shoot and let anyone that wants try it out.

Cigarbob, I am glad yor son had a great time. Seeing kids experience the joy of safe shooting always brings a smile to my face. To see the lights turn on and the excitement and joy it brings to them. I think that this is the main reason for having these shoots. To expose new people to the fun and joys of shooting in a safe and controlled manner. Many of us either have their own personal ranges or belong to a provate range. But getting together with the group is more about a social gathering in my eyes than a trip to the range. I shot very little, well except the saiga-12 I fell in LOVE with it, I think I spent more time BSing with folks than anything else. I had a great time and am looking forward to the next and the next and the next :rockwoot:

Ok I think I'd better close this epic post real soon here. I want to say that there are very few people that I call my friends this is a very hard title to earn, but that many of those people happen to be among this particular group. I thank you for a fun year and look forward to what the next ones have in store for us. We have accomplished so much in so short of a time. Can't wait to see what happens next year.

Greg

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    I thought so, but forgot to say thank you. Things were sort of hectic with the burger flipping and the hot dog rotating and the sauerkraut stirring . . .

So THANK YOU

I know they make 9mm guns because today I checked the CZ custom shop website.

thats no problem, after all that you have given ,im glad i was able to help. Beside i like fixing most guns.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I sent the following to jediagh and he said I should post it here...

Just a few observations...

I saw some atrocious gun handling Sunday, I mean stuff that was so bad if it had happened at my home range you would be told to give up your membership card and you would be banned for life. Three time I had guns pointed at me including one guy who fired 1 round out of the 500 and then turned and point it it dead at me from 5 feet with his finger still in the trigger guard! Other bad things...

people playing with guns behind the firing line
    people turning on the firing line without clearing guns first
    too many people on the line at one time
    people downrange with uncleared guns on benches
    people handling (and in one case loading) guns while people were down range
    and people were sweeping each other with gun muzzle constantly

I know we go there for fun but if we keep up these extremely dangerous gun handling violations someone is going to get shot sooner or later. Also the I wa s talking with Mr Kraft (the RO) and he felt much the same as I do, the centerfire rifles have no place on the 25, especially when there are that many people using the range. In fact he said he will be speaking to his boss about adding a rule prohibiting them from the 25. The fifty yard line is just a few steps away. I know I let a few shoot my CETME on the fifty...folks didn't seem to mind walking over there to do so. I can see using pistol caliber carbines and 22 rifles on the 25 but what does shooting an AK or AR on the 25 proof other than you can make noise? Shoot some good groups on the 50 or 100 instead and show us you can do more than make noise. I would bring a bulletin board to post targets on, that way you could earn bragging rights for best group of the shoot.

Next year I would like to see us keep doing our shoots but with safety and a bit more organization used. I would enjoy running some simple drills with handgun on the 25, maybe something like the El Presidente. I would be happy to provide targets and timer to do some fun drills.

I would also like to see the benches kept a bit more usable, most were so covered with gear and guns they were unusable by shooters. I know we have new shooters coming to the meets, it would be nice if they could use the benches to shoot 22 rifles and then be able to retrieve their targets and see how well they did.

I don't want you to think all I saw were the negative things. I know several folks took advantage of the longer ranges to see how well they could shoot their rifles, some folks displayed impeccable gun handling habits, and some seem to genuinely want to spend some time improving their skills. It just would be a good things to encourage the positives and limit the negatives. I know Mr Kraft was more than a little nervous at times, he spent more time watching our range than he ever has before and he told me he was very uncomfortable with the rifles on the 25 especially when people were right at the edge of the concrete with handguns at the same time.

I think it would be a shame to be asked not to come back but I think we were close to having that happen last Sunday. If we expect to be welcome at that range we are going to have to start showing some professionalism and etiquette. I have fun...generally, when guns aren't being pointed at me...and don't want this monthly event to end. We are responsible for our actions. In discussion with the RO having groups like ours there is not anything the have really had to deal with before so we have been pushing the envelope a bit. We have pushed it to the tearing point in my opinion and we really need to dial it back a bit.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    FYI...

Please us this thread for the safety discussion
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...and_shoot_end_of_year_review.html#post1450328

as well as any more ideas good/bad/ugly in 2010 and for 2011 season.

The reason is
    1) this thread will be closed in 24 hours by the MODs since the event is over
    2) we need to only post AARs in here since the event is over and yes we always slip on that.
    3) We have some talking to do about things that we did good, bad, and ugly in 2010 and what we want to do in 2011.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    ... I know we go there for fun but if we keep up these extremely dangerous gun handling violations someone is going to get shot sooner or later. ...

Folks, this is the part of post that should stand out to all. I hope we all keep this quote in mind when responding (here or in the new thread). I hope nobody is offended and we're all big enough to listen. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom