• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cranduit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I usually like to buy a new pair every 4-5 years even if I don't need to. I've had M-frames, Eye Jackets in the 90s and E-wires and Whiskers in the 00s. I was recently looking at everything since it was about new sunglasses time (mine were dirtyish from almost every day wear), getting tossed around without the bag (a tradition I start after a year or 2) got them some scratched lenses, and just general worn parts. I bought a nice new pair of C-wires late last year but determined I liked my old Whiskers still and returned the C's and got new lenses and nose/ear pieces.

I probably tried on 50 different pairs of RayBans, Revos, Maui Jims, whatever was at the store, and nothing fit me quite right (except one pair of Revos if they made the right color combination of frame/lens) so back to the Oakleys I went...they just work for me.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've owned quite a few pairs of Oakleys; from M-frames way back when they were cool, e-wires, half-jackets (a few pairs of those) bottlecaps, gascans and few others that I can't even remember the model name. As much as I like the look of the metal framed ones, mine have had about 1/3rd the lifespan of the plastic ones. I always end up bending or breaking them. The plastic ones have enough give to stand up to my clumsiness.
    Right now I'm loving my Split jackets for everyday wear along with shooting. They're even easier to swap lenses than the half jackets. Black iridium for normal wear or really, really sunny day shooting, VR28s for shooting in most conditions, and some clear vented lenses for indoor or lowlight.

<wearing them in avatar

header.png

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have worn Oakleys since 1993. Excellent glasses and use a pair as my range glasses. No issues with fogging and meet ANSI standards. Some models fit differently and not well since I have a bump from a broken nose. When I do find a style by Oakley that works, I stick with it.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Good choices! I have "wires" that look a lot like the ones you posted. I think mine are "Square Wires" but mine are black/black. And I have Flak jackets in black/black that I wear running. I love em both and will buy more Oakleys if needed. Come to think of it, I even have Rx computer / reading glasses on Oakley frames.

Are normal Oakleys, like the Flak jacket, suitable for shooting? I'd really prefer to wear them instead of the $8 safety glasses.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have had half jackets, straight jackets, gas cans, and im now on my second pair of carbon fiber flak jackets.

I wouldnt buy another brand of sunglasses, just like I wouldnt own any other breed of dog but a pitbull.

The only reason this pair is my second, is someone liked them more than me, so the second time around I got polarized lenses with my name engraved in them...

I REALLY want a pair of C-Sixes...but if i get a pair, ill probably never be able to buy another gun again.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I stopped by the Mall *shudder* last night and tried on quite a few pairs of Oakleys. I really like the Flak Jackets and think I'll be picking up a pair. For wires I liked the Whiskers. They didn't have any Splinters.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Thanks. You would be hard pressed to find a non-formally trained dog who is as well mannered and tempered as she is. My GF's sister raves about how great of a job I did with training her, and always hates it when I say that's just how she is. (A Pit Bull that's not a killer? OMGNOWAI!)

303288_10150325290291851_507266850_8584103_500463087_n.jpg
    Where you guys on holiday in Britain when this pic was taken?

My 10 yr old Whiskers are beat up & in need of new lenses..

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have a pair of S.I. M-frame SOF operator's and they are "ok"... It's my first pair of Oakley's and I didn't get to pick which ones I got. As these are for work, I get what I get... They definitely aren't comfortable when shooting, so I'd rather wear tinted safety glasses. But for normal wear they are ok. I don't see the benefits of the extra price tag though. I can buy a $3 pair of sunglasses at a mall kiosk and they will last me about the same time before they get scratched up.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    i have owned oakley since 2004, and i still continue to buy a new pair every other year....i just love the quality and how fitting they are!

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i like the polarization..i like that i can "break" my gascans and just snap them back together, theyre also very light weight...overall good glasses

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I wear the Half Jackets myself. I have been a fan of Oakley for sometime. Though, I went through two pairs from the time I graduated basic to probably 2 years in. I can not remember what style they where, but they did not last long. Then I bought a discontinued style for $60 and they lasted 2 years or so, still have them. Just bought the Half Jackets last year, so we'll see how they hold up.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I have had multiple pair, including half jackets, 5's, oil rigs, and a couple others I can not recall. The half jackets were my firs pair about 10 years ago and I still have them and wear them now. Lol. I have replaced the lenses, and ear/ nose pieces a few times over the years but still going strong.

I would like to have a pair of the nano wires, but don't want to spend $300 for a pair of sun glasses. Lol. I will find a pair of nicely used ones eventually.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have been wearing A-Wire's for over 10 years. They are a great company. My first pair of a-wires hinges were getting weak and i sent them back. They replaced them minus the cost of lenses. After having polarized and non-polarized now i will buy the polarized every time from now on. I prefer the metal framed glasses. I also have a pair of prescription spoke 2.0 that are great too.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I have had the FlakJacket pair in black fro about 2.5 years. They are GREAT. They fit under a hat and stay on very securely. They are also darn near indestructible (except the lenses). The HD Polarized lenses really make a difference too. I have 20/13 eye sight so I always speak HEAVILY on protecting your eyes. It's definitely worth the money.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Just saw this thread Evan. I have the flak jacket xjl's....and LOVE THEM. They are comfortable, fit very securely, and are one the best purchases I've made in years. Just go back and look at my magazine cover and see how they turn me into an instant operator: :rofl:

They do fit under hats, but are a little wide if you like to bend your brim much. They do fit nicely up under some ear pro though too.

I also purchased the clear lenses so that they can serve dual range purposes. Indoors and things like FNS really don't help my poor eyesight with tinted lenses...you know...kinda makes it hard to see and hit targets (wink, wink)...that is what I blamed it on anyways. The ease to transition between lenses is cake...30 seconds and I'm ready to roll.

Speaking of poor eyesight....ironically I am headed to a consultation in a couple of weeks to see if I am eligible for the surgery....I need it bad!

Let me know if you have specific questions and i'll do my best to answer.

Top Bottom