• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've worn Oakley's since I could afford my first pair before I headed off to college...many many years ago (Oakley Razor Blades :D )

My current Oakleys are Splinters with Black Iridium polarized lenses.

MeatHoffer.jpg

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    :twocents:

I have owned many pairs of oakley glasses including M-Frames, Flak Jackets with the photochromic lenses, Half Jackets, Polarized Juliets and Non-polarized Juliets.

While I like the look and feel of the Juliets, they have one factor that is very annoying. They have specialized rivots on the bridge of the nose that losen after a few months of wear. These are not something torx or metric that you can tighten on your own. If you want them tightened, it will cost you around $100 for service through Oakley. For something that cost $350-$400, that really bothers me!

I really likes the Photochromic lenses. Makes for a very versitile set up! I would like to get a pair of the Half X but scared to pull the trigger on another high priced pair of Oakleys!

:twocents:

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I still wear my 10 year old M-frames every time I shoot.

Maybe one of you guys can help me with this question: Are all Oakleys ANSI rated? The website doesn't seem to be clear on it. A friend that just got into shooting asked me that after I recommended he pick out some Oakley glasses to protect his eyes on the range.

Anyone have any way to tell which ones offer the ANSI protection?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As bad as I am with regular sunglasses (losing them, sitting on them, dropping them, etc), there's no way in hades I'd shell out for Oakleys. But at the range, that's all I've worn for years. SI M-Frames "Hybrid" 3-lens array:
    F0AB4B36-3048-812A-2EAC138E773335CA.jpg

Me wearing them:
    shooter_g34_case.jpg

DSCN0568.jpg

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    As bad as I am with regular sunglasses (losing them, sitting on them, dropping them, etc), there's no way in hades I'd shell out for Oakleys. But at the range, that's all I've worn for years. SI M-Frames "Hybrid" 3-lens array:

Honestly, my dad used to ruiinn cheap sunglasses. $10 a month. I believe he even melted a few with a soldering iron. Until he got oakley's. He realized spending a good chunk of cash would teach him responsibility and how to take care of things.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Honestly, my dad used to ruiinn cheap sunglasses. $10 a month. I believe he even melted a few with a soldering iron. Until he got oakley's. He realized spending a good chunk of cash would teach him responsibility and how to take care of things.

That's true...plunking down a pile of bills for a pair of polarized Oakleys will certainly make you take really good care of them!

In the many, many, many years I've been wearing Oakleys I've only crushed one pair under my butt and I'm fairly certain that a pair of polarized Whiskers have washed ashore somewhere around Tampa by now! :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My wife and I spent Monday evening downtown, and I got a chance to visit the new Oakley store in the Circle Center Mall. I tried on many different pairs of sunglasses and I finally narrowed it down to the two that I'll be buying (1 for sport, 1 for casual).

Polarized Flak Jackets in black

Polarized Tightropes, also in black

14462.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful advice I received in this thread. You can follow the progress on my LASIK procedure in this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/199359-my_lasik_experience_start_to_finish.html

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    The surgery is great, my son had it done a number of years ago and it worked great. But Oakley can accommodate, in prescription lenses, those who choose not to get surgery. My lineless bifocals below:

picture.php

I have those same frames, and love them. :cool: I had transition lens put in them, so they are my every day indoor/outdoor glasses.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Bet those weren't cheap. :D

No they weren't cheap, but the company I worked for back then had a ridiculous vision plan that covered $450 for just the frames. ...I don't know where in Hades you can find $450 frames. The biggest cost to me was paying extra so they'd be transitions. My next set of glasses will probably be the $6.95 ones from Zenni Optical. :@ya:

Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive Eyeglasses, Rimless Glasses[from]=6&price[to]=10&pd_nav=single

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have a set of M frames that I bought in 03, worn to Iraq (in 04) and most the time since then. Recently got a new pair of half jackets, used at the range today. Both have the lens from the standard issue site. Great deal, especially since I wear either set of them everyday just about, and all the time. Great things, still have the lens that stopped a piece of shrapnel from hitting my eyes.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My Tightropes came in today. Felt good to be back in polarized Oakleys.

The Flak Jackets are on a 3-week backorder, so I'm waiting patiently.

I think I need to take another trip downtown to the Oakley Store to find some sturdier cases.

Top Bottom