• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm actually going to make it a 4x4 trail rig. I have samurai axles n divorced transfer case and Isuzu rodeo engine n transmission. Gunna be on 31 I believe. Gunna try to get it built this winter. Waiting for money to get suspension, thinking coil overs.

Sounds like a decent plan. If money is an issue, use leaf springs, or just use Grand Cherokee coils. Since you're going full custom you would only have to fab/buy the spring buckets, and there are plenty of places to get those cheap. And if it is truly off-road only, you don't have to get the steering issues 100%

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    well i dont think i could cram leaf springs undder it veyr well sense it is a vw bug, plus i do want to be able to drive it down the road to turn some heads. i have thaught about the jeep coils also........i have till winter to figure it out. my b/f keeps saying what he wants to do and usually i dont want to do what he is thinking. he wants to chop off the fenders and make it look baja. i want to leave as much fenders as possible and stay away from the baja look since its not baja its trail buggy rig

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Here's are old race that we turned into a dune hopper since we killed it for third time.

Dimensions
    Chassis BMS TT Chassis
    Wheelbase 125 inches
    Track Width 90 inches
    Weight 5000

Suspension
    Front A-arm, 24” wheel travel, Boxed 4130 Lower, Machined 7075 Upper, BMS 2.5 Race Hubs
    Rear Four Link, 30” wheel travel
    Shocks King shock technology – one coil over, one 5 Tube bypass shock per wheel
    Tires BFG Project 39 x 13.5 x 17
    Wheels BTR 17 x 8 forged beadlocks
    Brakes 4 wheel disc CNC 6 piston calipers and Tubeworks rotors
    Steering Howe 2.75 Truggy Rack
    Fuel 83 gallon Custom Fuel Safe cell

Engine
    Type Olson Racing Engines SBC
    Fuel Delivery & Mgt. Carburated
    Horsepower 800 HP

Drivetrain
    Transmission Culhane TH400
    Rear End BMS 4” Housing with 3.25” Floater Hubs
    Gearing Tubeworks 10” 5.43 Ratio

dsc00059ag.jpg

dsc00058.jpg

dsc00042ti.jpg

dsc00051zo.jpg

dsc00063az.jpg

adam2.jpg

householdercrash.jpg

Here is a quick vid of the Family playing in the sand box last year

Householder Motorsports Glamis New year's 2009 on Vimeo

those last 2 pics made me want to cry!!!!:n00b:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    well i dont think i could cram leaf springs undder it veyr well sense it is a vw bug, plus i do want to be able to drive it down the road to turn some heads. i have thaught about the jeep coils also........i have till winter to figure it out. my b/f keeps saying what he wants to do and usually i dont want to do what he is thinking. he wants to chop off the fenders and make it look baja. i want to leave as much fenders as possible and stay away from the baja look since its not baja its trail buggy rig

I would go with your own ideas. It's going to be your rig, and so it should be what you want. Otherwise you'll get done with it and be dissatisfied.

The wheelbase isn't a problem, Sammy is 80", and VW Beetle is 94.5"

Full fendered, the rear looks like you could accommodate leaf springs. You might have to go w/ coil springs in the front. Other wise the front mounts for leaf springs would be in front of the sheet metal (although you could also mount a bumper there.)

Any way you do it, it'll turn heads.

What I would do is take a side view picture after marking a 1 foot square grid on the door. Make some photocopies, and you can play around with the components. That way you can see how you'll have to lay out things without spending any money. If it were me, I'd buy a model of a VW Beetle, and make a mock up. :D

I'm assuming you'll be building a full frame for it. If the frame you have for it is in good shape, you might consider selling it to a VW restorer. That'll give you extra money to play with. Then build your own chassis and floor boards. And since there's not much room up front, keep in mind you can put the radiator in the back.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    th_August2010067.jpg
    th_August2010069.jpg
    th_August2010068.jpg
    th_JuneJuly2009049.jpg

th_August2010066.jpg

My current project: '93 S-10 blazer, 454 BBC, TH400, divorced 205, 46" claws, 2x4 tube frame, full hydraulic steering, 7100 series bilstein shocks, and a long leaf suspension. Its been 3yrs off and on, I hope to finish it this winter, I just had to many other projects going.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Here is my current project, a 93 Bronco. It currently has 33" BFG MT's, a winch bumper, and winch. I'm installing dual batteries, 200 amp alternator, 4" extended arm lift, and new brake lines (rusted out.) I really need to get off my ass on this one. If anyone wants to come over and help, I'd appreciate it. And as a bonus, if you ever needed the garage space for working on your rig...

garage_pan_001.jpg

Here's the first truck I took off-roading, 75 IH 150. Totally stock.

IMAGE--003----.JPG

My Samurai, 3" lift, 33" tires, geared to match, otherwise pretty stock.

IMG_20030804_0140.JPG

And my last off-road vehicle, Jeep Cherokee. That had about 4" of lift. Never did get it regeared. Kept breaking U-Joints at Badlands.

IMG_20050401_6759.jpg

Dam Keith! I have total shop envy. I've built a few Bronco's in my time. They are a great platform. Good luck with the build

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Dam Keith! I have total shop envy. I've built a few Bronco's in my time. They are a great platform. Good luck with the build

Thanks. I keep wishing the garage was bigger, of course. Yeah, the Bronco should be pretty tough once I get it set up. Just need to get off my ass and in the garage.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Thanks. I keep wishing the garage was bigger, of course. Yeah, the Bronco should be pretty tough once I get it set up. Just need to get off my ass and in the garage.

I'd love to have a bronco like that, have always wanted one. Right now thinking more carbureated truck both for work/offroad, and SHTF.

If my neighbor's ex husband hadn't already taken it with him I'd take pics of his offroad toy. Its a 78 Lincoln Town Car up on a older bronco frame with a FI 5.0 and automatic. He built it so his now ex wife could offroad with him when he took his truck out. Now he just primarily uses the lincoln. I'm not sure how high it is sitting up. But the tires are at least 38"s and it was hard for even me to get into. Full interior too :):

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I wonder how well those air cooled bugs do in the mud......???

I'd love to have a bronco like that, have always wanted one. Right now thinking more carbureated truck both for work/offroad, and SHTF.

If you are thinking along the lines of EMP's then you will aslo want to get rid of the electronic ignition if said vehicle has that.

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    th_August2010067.jpg
    th_August2010069.jpg
    th_August2010068.jpg
    th_JuneJuly2009049.jpg

th_August2010066.jpg

My current project: '93 S-10 blazer, 454 BBC, TH400, divorced 205, 46" claws, 2x4 tube frame, full hydraulic steering, 7100 series bilstein shocks, and a long leaf suspension. Its been 3yrs off and on, I hope to finish it this winter, I just had to many other projects going.

If you ever do get this finished it wont go where my ifs is due to ridiculous size. What a waste of fabrication.... I like functional trucks not junk in the garage for years, mine has been all over the place wheeling...guess you cant say that..

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you ever do get this finished it wont go where my ifs is due to ridiculous size. What a waste of fabrication.... I like functional trucks not junk in the garage for years, mine has been all over the place wheeling...guess you cant say that..

I know a guy here in indy that had or still has an 90's Suburban with max legal light and max legal height swampers on it......

He drove it on the roads all the time and was just LOUD (tire noise)....... he was able to drive a lot of girls in it at the same time haha.....

If he likes it then who cares... you don't see people laughing at or insulting your stuff.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Are you aiming for something that will look like this?
    IMG_0152.jpg

Not mine, just took a pic of it at the jambo.
    No offense, but that is a monstrosity. I think a Baja bug would be a ton of fun, but having a beetle with 38", 44" ....tires is just not good. That thing looks like its going to tip over standing still. not mine though, so to each their own, have fun.:)
    -on edit, I rescind my tip over comment. the more I look at it, the more I realize it couldn't tip over, as the tires themselves weigh more than the rest of the vehicle. He better have something with power, it takes a lot of motor to turn tires that big.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Here is my junk on the going over the top of RockFace at the Badlands. Anybody want it? I think it may make an appearance in the classifieds.

IMG_8668.jpg

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I'm not going to get into a pissing match about 4x4's on a gun forum. If you'd like to go over to colorado or pirate to discuss your "superior IFS" compared to over sized junk I'll be glad to see you there.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm not going to get into a pissing match about 4x4's on a gun forum. If you'd like to go over to colorado or pirate to discuss your "superior IFS" compared to over sized junk I'll be glad to see you there.

I dare you to post the pictures you posted here, on Pirate. Hilarity would ensue.

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Actually that is kinda what I have in mind. But I'm only putting 33 at most on mine. I would like triangulated 3 link in front n 4 link the back 2 coil coil overs. I don't want a bans. I want a trail rig :) motor in the front and 4x4!

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide

I dare you to post the pictures you posted here, on Pirate. Hilarity would ensue.

You guy's, Don't ruin a perfectly good thread based on one's taste. Just respect each others right to build what they want. Anyone who's ever put together a purpose built Vehicle/toy knows what a major expense and pain in the *** it is. Just try to help each other out for the common cause.....And by the way, I've been in the "offroad" industry for many many years. Pirate is made up of all the people who have been rejected from the industry. In fact, I don't see that site being around too much longer due to behind the scene shadiness. Now back to our regular scheduled program!

6 more weeks

YouTube - 40TH TECATE SCORE BAJA 1000 by CACTUS FILMS

Top Bottom