• ...and so much more!
  • El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    No one is forcing a person to get a tattoo

Never said that. Note the word "voluntarily".

No information can be pulled up on a person by scanning their tattoo.

I beg to differ. All police reports note "identifying marks, scars, tattoos..." for identifying persons of interest. As you said, tattoos are individualistic, and permanent (for all intents and purposes). A simple quick way to identify someone is by a mark they can't easily change, like a scar, birthmark, or...a tattoo. But, that's not really my curiosity in this. I'm just interested in the psychology of getting a tattoo. As you said, it's a mark of individuality, but aren't there plenty ways to be an individual without the discomfort and permanent-ness of having ink injected under skin? :)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

I beg to differ. All police reports note "identifying marks, scars, tattoos..." for identifying persons of interest. As you said, tattoos are individualistic, and permanent (for all intents and purposes). A simple quick way to identify someone is by a mark they can't easily change, like a scar, birthmark, or...a tattoo. But, that's not really my curiosity in this. I'm just interested in the psychology of getting a tattoo. As you said, it's a mark of individuality, but aren't there plenty ways to be an individual without the discomfort and permanent-ness of having ink injected under skin? :)

Sure, there are a myriad of other ways to express myself. However, I CHOSE to be inked. My tattoos are all religious in nature, so they tend to prompt discussion. I have a cross of spikes, a Lion head with the Hebrew word Judah surrounded by tribal work, and Japanese kanji that means "strive for righteousness".

Personally, I do not believe this makes me more "identifiable" in light of today's age of fingerprints and DNA.

88crxsi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Here's a few of mine. Sleeve still isn't done, the chest piece is far from done. I have two crosses on my lower stomach, but they are just a basic cross. All of my tattoos, but one have meaning. The tribal is just because I liked it. The one on my chest says love hurts with a a knife through a heart. My whole sleeve in short means good luck. The top part of the sleeve is a mechanical arm. That symbolizes my love for cars and tinkering with everything I can take apart. My back is my favorite. It's my last name with camo around it, and two army stars on each side. Prior infantry here ; )

l_33b376f11b15408f988d44aeaa95e6d1.jpg

ingo2.jpg

ingo3.jpg

ingo4.jpg

ingo5.jpg

ingo6.jpg

ingo6.jpg

ingo.jpg

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I've got my family crest on my left forearm, a tribal design on my left tricep, and a phoenix on my right bicep. My left arm will be a full sleeve eventually. The only other thing I know is going on it as of now is a Salvador Dali style melting clock right where my wrist watch would be.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I only have one rite now{an arm band} but will be getting 2 more in Jan or Feb. 13 stars in a circle on my chest and under it will have the date 1776 and Im going to have this put on right shoulder blade,its a heraldic eagle..it says "E Pluribus Unum"{Out of many, one}
    heraldic-eagle.gif

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado

Sure there are plenty of ways. Some people like them some don't. What deeper meaning are you looking for? I don't know if I would get another. Piercings were my thing. When I got my tat I wasn't particularly excited to do it. My ex-wife wanted me to get one with her. At the time she had 4 or 5.

Speed Kills

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Reviving a dying thread, because someone mentioned it in another thread I was reading.

All of these were done by Tony Beuke, Barber's Electric Tattooing (formerly of Beelistic Tattoo, both in Cincinnati).

My first. No, it's not crooked. I have garbage posture. When I stand straight, it's straight.
    l_42cedbe849d3e2ccda8fd78600094e6e.jpg

Second tattoo. Right calf. '08. Hence, my screenname. LONG back story behind this one.
    l_c9309bb27d68684314194870fea18e62.jpg

Right arm, '09
    l_64128140248244e494a300c41e38e6e3.jpg

Left arm, '09
    l_3ac024cf503c4ef28a71ba319dbf3abf.jpg

Side, '09. Still need to find ambition to go get it colored in.....
    l_38cb23e601524d5f8049192e36f9c2cf.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have though a lot about getting one that says WSAR or Woodland SAR or something but don't know..... It has been on my mind for year's....... don't like the idea of it looking like crap when I am 60.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    I've planned on getting once for a long time now, but don't know who I can trust to do it. Will be the only tattoo I get, and I still haven't even found someone who can draw it the way I'd like.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I've planned on getting once for a long time now, but don't know who I can trust to do it. Will be the only tattoo I get, and I still haven't even found someone who can draw it the way I'd like.

What is the tattoo of? What kind of "style?" Indiana has a pretty good spread of great artists. I'm no where near Ft. Wayne but plan on going there eventually to have Jeff Stumpp give me a tattoo.

Top Bottom