• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Wow, that really sucks. I've got a couple of hawks now from him, hope they hold up a little better than that. He seems like a decent guy, so my guess is he'll make it right.

Just to add, those Fiskars machete things are awesome. I have the Gerber version and have beat the living hell out of it.

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Holy crap, man. Glad that was just a limited test run rather than needing to to make survival shelter/fire. Like they say, I guess: Two is one, one is none. (I'll avoid the great temptation to bring the name into the pun. :))

Good luck with the warranty.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Yea, the metal inside the break sure don't look at all 'right', to me.

I could be mistaken (that happens alot :D)..... but that looks like it may have been some Hickory wood you go into chopping. And that is some real hard* wood!

* So 'kudos' to your other choppers!!!

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Great outing and as others said bravo for being a great dad. As for the hawk well fuggels :) I bought a warhawk from 2hawks at the 1500 (that guy must have outfitted half of ingo :) I am sure he will make it right but still very concerning keep us updated.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It is a definate bummer on the hawk. But, the day outside with your daughter is goingto be with you the rest of your life. She is a lucky young lady.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    It is a definate bummer on the hawk. But, the day outside with your daughter is goingto be with you the rest of your life. She is a lucky young lady.

naw I'm the lucky one. she is a great kid and the day out with her makes any broken blade worth it.

2hawks did have a great show lol and I'm sure he will make it right. hopefully I'll know soon what's going to happen with it.

thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate you checking out the thread.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    thats just a typical catastrophic failure for steel. Somewhere there is a crack or imperfection on the outside of the metal.

If you can get a GOOD large macro closeup of the steel, I can probably tell you where the initial failure point is, and what caused it.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    thats just a typical catastrophic failure for steel. Somewhere there is a crack or imperfection on the outside of the metal.

If you can get a GOOD large macro closeup of the steel, I can probably tell you where the initial failure point is, and what caused it.

as in the steel was just bad or that I did something wrong? I'll try to get a close up but all I have is the Iphone.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    no, as in there was a crack in the steel somewhere, and with you beating on it, the crack grows and eventually it will grow far enough it completely brakes. The crack could have come from anything.

Could also be a heat treat issue, but then were are still talking about micro cracks internally.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Looks like a good time grunt - and a lot less blood than the last outing! It's always good to get the munchkins out. I'm working on getting a daybag set up for my 6 year old so we can get out.

IMG_0688.jpg

Sorry about the 2Hawks, but what is this thing? :wwub:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Looks like a good time grunt - and a lot less blood than the last outing! It's always good to get the munchkins out. I'm working on getting a daybag set up for my 6 year old so we can get out.

Sorry about the 2Hawks, but what is this thing? :wwub:

that is a jk belt hawk and it's a beast. It was a favorite among all 3 of us out there.

I read 2hawks website and all their hawks are cast heads. I'm not sure how that effects strength but I'm guessing they are not as tough.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    they are called "stress risers". a micro fracture, an imperfection in the steel, a void, a corner that is too square, too steep a drop off from one point to another..... all can cause "stress risors" or point that wil fail first, and usually way before, other points on the same part or piece. there is a ton of things that can just be a "fluke".

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Temperature has a big effect on the chance for brittle fracture also. Here is an article that discusses it, but the gist is in the abstract.
    Brittle Fracture and Impact Testing: Part One :: KEY to METALS Articles
    "Abstract:
    Three basic factors contribute to a brittle-cleavage type of fracture. They are
    1. a triaxial state of stress,
    2. a low temperature, and
    3. a high strain rate or rapid rate of loading."

As you can see a pre-existing flaw and the combination of low temp and rapid load probably contributed to the failure.

Top Bottom