• Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Or or a liar AND an idiot.

Plenty of proof in the world the two are not mutually exclusive.

Obama_Fiscal_Cliff-0e5c7-588-copy-1024x682.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No disagreement here. My problem in the other thread is that one individual who styles himself an expert on the subject was arguing that I am required to definitively know the intentions of the (presumably active and approaching my position) intruder which would literally require clairvoyant powers or else interviewing the intruder, neither of which is going to happen. As I see it, the intruder actively breaking in and approaching my person within the house is an entirely different situation from an unresponsive drunk on the couch sans trousers presumably snoring sounding like a Harley Davidson.

I don't know which responses you are talking about, but there's a difference in "make sure the target is a threat" and "interview the target about his intentions." You're making it sound like a lot more detailed than anyone I saw was indicating. I've cleared plenty of houses. I've found people in them on occasion, and on one of those occasions the person was armed. I've taken the slack out of the trigger before figuring out a robbery suspect had pulled a cell phone out of his waistband and not a pistol (his partner ended up having the pistol) going from "shoot" to "no shoot" in a split second because the situation as I perceived it had changed. I've came *real* close to shooting my reflection in a mirror. I've ambushed and snatched a burglar out of a window as he was halfway out crawling back out of a house. In short, I've been confronted with a multitude of shoot/no-shoot decisions in real life, both foreign and domestic. I've never asked them to sit down for tea and I'm not Mrs. Cleo. What I am is trained and observant. I don't need psychic powers to read body language, to scan for weapons, etc. Neither do you. You instinctively know some body language that indicates a threat. None of that comes into play if you shoot at shapes in the dark, regardless of if the person is half in a window or on a sofa. So let's be clear that determining if someone is a threat is not the same as having to interview or rely on psychic powers. This doesn't mean anyone is going to be 100%, but its a lot better for everyone involved than not taking the time to see if you perceive a threat.

Also, lets's stop introducing evidence you would have in one scenario but not the other if you acted the same. Determining someone is unresponsive surely takes more observation than determining someone is your relative. I don't think you were one of them, but several folks were absolutely against even using a light. How are you determining the guy is an unresponsive drunk asleep on the couch and not a deranged serial killer who is reloading after killing your neighbors if you're just looking at a shape in the dark? It is intellectually dishonest to assume you would just know he's no threat but would just assume the stepdaughter in the window was a threat.

In the end, they are the same scenario. The fact that one is in the window and one has made it to the sofa is semantics in the topic at hand. Do you take the time to identify a target and verify a threat in your house or not?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Officers tell us they struggled to wake up the man but, once they did; they say he appeared intoxicated and wasn't wearing pants nor did he know where his pants were. 23 year-old, Wesley Nickens was arrested for unlawful residential entry. He's being held in the Vanderburgh County Jail on a 500 dollar bond.

I hope they gave him some pants to wear. And now...there's a good chance we have a new case of a missing wallet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CSB...

I actually lost my pants once. OK, so my PJ bottoms. Woke up one morning a couple weeks ago in my bed. Pantsless. I had a few beers the night before, but no more than usual. I found them in the dining room next to the back door. :scratch:

The only thing I can think of is the dog woke me up and I was hot and stepped out of them while I was letting her out to do her bidness. :dunno:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I've been drunk before, so drunk I couldn't walk straight, but I've NEVER lost my pants!

How do you lose your pants?

On my 21st birthday I woke up naked and wet. So stuff does happen.

My boss locked himself out of his hotel room in his underwear while drunk. He decided to sleep on the couch in the lobby until the nice officer helped him back to his room.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've been known to enjoy the "occasional beer" from time to time...of all the things I've done, waking up with no pants is not one of them. :laugh:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I know of a man (brother-in-law of a friend) who shot a dude dead, in his own house, who was naked and doing it with his wife. Got 10 years for it.

Personally, I would just drag the the pantless man out the back yard, and put him face down in the creek. Why waste a bullet?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I know of a man (brother-in-law of a friend) who shot a dude dead, in his own house, who was naked and doing it with his wife. Got 10 years for it.

Personally, I would just drag the the pantless man out the back yard, and put him face down in the creek. Why waste a bullet?

I've never understood that. Why shoot the dude? It's the wife who's cheating on them.

Top Bottom