• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    What I don’t like is a used gun or car or anything used dealer attempting to sell something for way more than it’s worth.
    I guess taking advantage of people is just something I just don’t care for.

Brad, I have to disagree. No I don't sell firearms (or really anything else), however I don't see where a seller is "taking advantage" of anyone by publishing any price he wants to ask for an item! No one is forced to purchase that firearm or a used car for any price. Granted there are people that will way overpay for items just because they are too lazy to determine what an item is worth. Before the internet I could see someone being ignorant of values of an item, but today in 20 to 30 minutes you can search the internet and see what ANY item is selling for at multiple sites. I believe that if a person pays a price that is over market value it is their problem, not the sellers. I feel the same way about people that purchase firearms from others at a way below market value. I don't believe someone should take advantage of a person forced to sell because the owner passed on (and I haven't), but if a person purchased a firearm for $800, decides he doesn't like it and offers it to a buyer for $300, I don't blame a buyer for purchasing it at way below market value!

I have an acquaintance, that buys firearms when he gets money, then runs out of money and sells them. He has done this numerous times. I have purchased some from him at below market price as he wanted to sell them immediately. I didn't need the firearms and would not have paid market price so he lowered the price until I couldn't resist. I don't believe I took advantage of him.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Brad, I have to disagree. No I don't sell firearms (or really anything else), however I don't see where a seller is "taking advantage" of anyone by publishing any price he wants to ask for an item! No one is forced to purchase that firearm or a used car for any price. Granted there are people that will way overpay for items just because they are too lazy to determine what an item is worth. Before the internet I could see someone being ignorant of values of an item, but today in 20 to 30 minutes you can search the internet and see what ANY item is selling for at multiple sites. I believe that if a person pays a price that is over market value it is their problem, not the sellers. I feel the same way about people that purchase firearms from others at a way below market value. I don't believe someone should take advantage of a person forced to sell because the owner passed on (and I haven't), but if a person purchased a firearm for $800, decides he doesn't like it and offers it to a buyer for $300, I don't blame a buyer for purchasing it at way below market value!

I have an acquaintance, that buys firearms when he gets money, then runs out of money and sells them. He has done this numerous times. I have purchased some from him at below market price as he wanted to sell them immediately. I didn't need the firearms and would not have paid market price so he lowered the price until I couldn't resist. I don't believe I took advantage of him.

Well said. In thart case, if a person is irrisponsible enough with their money that they have to sell something really fast just to pay a bill or something like that, there's no reason to feel bad.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I agree that if a person pays $20-50 or even 100 over what you get a firearm form a cheaper location that’s fine.
    I too know of idiots who buy weapons,tv’s,jewelry ect. then run out and sell them at 50% of original price that’s on them.
    The point I do not feel is right is when a person has a Hi Point and wants $ 450.00. Then tells the person that it’s worth that much.
    Greed is ok to point after than saying that they did not know so ”screw em” is not ok or right.
    This Sensitivity over the subject is due to a elderly widow on the block who paid $16,000 for roof on about a 1,600 Ft ranch.
    Yep its crap work that leaks.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I get what you are saying but I modify all of my guns. All of them and not one is Bastardized as you say. I do sell/trade them on occasion when someone wants to step into that world. I seldom if ever break even as I know what goes with building a HotRod anything. You do it because you want to. Not to make any money at it because that is tough to do. You will seldom if ever see any of them in the classifieds.
    Stippling a Glock is not what I am referring to. You are right on this one.

There is a thread on another forum where the OP asks if he should buy a base 1911 for $700 and put $1500 in customization or just buy a semi custom from the git go. If you buiy a $700 dollar gun and customize it the thing is still basically a $700 gun and maybe a tad more. If you buy a $2000 one it will still maintain most of it's original price. I agree with their consensus.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a thread on another forum where the OP asks if he should buy a base 1911 for $700 and put $1500 in customization or just buy a semi custom from the git go. If you buiy a $700 dollar gun and customize it the thing is still basically a $700 gun and maybe a tad more. If you buy a $2000 one it will still maintain most of it's original price. I agree with their consensus.

You are on point here.

I just bought a used but in great shape Springer RO. $680
    Already have initial parts in the Mail. $480
    Intended machine work and re-color probably $300 possibly more.
    Then there will be a set of custom Grips or VZ's depending. Lets put $100 on this.
    My labor in this......No return. As I am building this one as a hand me down Legacy for my Daughter this is priceless. I have recently finished 2 others for the boys. None of them are alike. Each is unique. This is one advantage of doing a custom or one off. It is yours and yours alone. If that means anything to someone. Lots of folks just want to own something high end and have the show off points. No worries at least they are in the game.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Had a SHOCKING Armslist experience this morning.

Saw a nice little firearm listed for a price that might be a little high but the gun was nearly NIB and a somewhat low production run. Nothing I needed but something I've wanted. We had a pleasant negotiation and the seller came down to a price that was 30% less than the cheapest online price. We chatted on the phone and email before agreeing to a meeting this morning. He was coherent and articulate on the phone without suggesting a midnight meeting in an empty industrial park.

We both showed up ten minutes early. Gun was exactly as presented - maybe better - without a hint of use. Exchanged cash/gun/bill of sale and bid each other a Merry Christmas.

You just gotta weed through the junk, scammers, pie in the sky sellers, buyers that low ball (ouch - that hits close to home) and be willing to move on if the vibe is bad...fair deals and good people are to be found.

...oh and if you see my wife - I was Christmas shopping this morning...HA!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    INGO again, sellers who don't leave feedback. I do have a lot of positive feed back as a seller and buyer but I always leave feed back. I sold a gun and they got their feed back, I never did. Same with buying. I leave mine, never get any back. I would guess I am ten or so less than I would be if folks gave feed back, I guess though, mine speaks for itself so I really shouldn't worry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    INGO again, sellers who don't leave feedback. I do have a lot of positive feed back as a seller and buyer but I always leave feed back. I sold a gun and they got their feed back, I never did. Same with buying. I leave mine, never get any back. I would guess I am ten or so less than I would be if folks gave feed back, I guess though, mine speaks for itself so I really shouldn't worry.

Thanks for reminding me. I needed to leave feedback myself.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I try and leave feedback. Even if it is something simple like Good Seller. I get concerned when someone has sold 10 items and no one wanted to comment. To me it is more like saying thankyou. I have one person right now that said they wanted something, I sent my phone number, and haven't heard a thing. That irritates me more than lack of feedback after the deal. I'll even text back thank you when some one cancels through a text. Just courtesy. You make friends by showing yourself friendly.

I put a high price out there often. But hopefully not high like a retail price. I know that when I lived in Illinois I paid too high a price too often. I do not get upset when someone makes an offer. I may say no, but don't get huffy about it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Had a SHOCKING Armslist experience this morning.

Saw a nice little firearm listed for a price that might be a little high but the gun was nearly NIB and a somewhat low production run. Nothing I needed but something I've wanted. We had a pleasant negotiation and the seller came down to a price that was 30% less than the cheapest online price. We chatted on the phone and email before agreeing to a meeting this morning. He was coherent and articulate on the phone without suggesting a midnight meeting in an empty industrial park.

We both showed up ten minutes early. Gun was exactly as presented - maybe better - without a hint of use. Exchanged cash/gun/bill of sale and bid each other a Merry Christmas.

You just gotta weed through the junk, scammers, pie in the sky sellers, buyers that low ball (ouch - that hits close to home) and be willing to move on if the vibe is bad...fair deals and good people are to be found.

...oh and if you see my wife - I was Christmas shopping this morning...HA!

What is this sorcery? psyko

Actually most of my Armslist experiences have been reasonable and friendly. It's car sellers that are the real nightmare.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I agree with you. If you're going to use the INGO classifieds, you should have to use the feedback system. Generally, within an hour or so of the deal, I'm leaving feedback. There have been a few times that all I get is crickets from the other end. That's more than a little frustrating.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with you. If you're going to use the INGO classifieds, you should have to use the feedback system. Generally, within an hour or so of the deal, I'm leaving feedback. There have been a few times that all I get is crickets from the other end. That's more than a little frustrating.

Lazy. Period.
    A lot of those same folks leave the ads open as well. When I look at this some have never closed any of them.
    The classy's are free folks. Please use them with respect.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Lazy. Period.
    A lot of those same folks leave the ads open as well. When I look at this some have never closed any of them.
    The classy's are free folks. Please use them with respect.

Yep, I completely agree. Once you've been on the board long enough to know your way around, there's really no excuse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, I completely agree. Once you've been on the board long enough to know your way around, there's really no excuse.

Granted there are a lot of members that do not post up a lot and mainly only stop in to buy/sell something. Even with that follow the simple rules. They are in place for well thought out reasons.
    "AND"....if you get called on it for not adhering to them do not send the staff a snarky PM. This will only get a like and same response with a time out attachment.

Top Bottom