• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    There are examples out there with old guns you can no longer get yes. As churchmouse said if its a current weapon, being made today, its used the day you take it home and its lost value. If it hasnt lost value why the hell would i buy your used crap when i can buy a new one for the same price.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If it is in really good shape and shows as good as new with all the documents I'll generally feel like I'm getting a good deal if it is 20 or 30 under the cheapest available new price. This is for Glocks, mp, etc if it has scuffs scrapes bruises or spray paint I'm generally not interested.

Most used great condition CZ's I'm happy to buy at around the 20 to 30 off mark, but I've paid closer to retail for oddballs. I like the Omega trigger so I've paid very close to retail on used omegas rather than wait for the next run.

I want at least 100 off of Sig's, because other than the 1911s I'm unimpressed. I would like a 226 Sao legion but I'm not coming close to retail, personal value sort of thing.

AR15s are the wildcard today. You can regularly pick up a Colt 6920 for under 8 but used everyone wants over 9 and often into the 1k mark with cheap optics. It is difficult as a seller to keep up with all of the sales on ar's tho.

Five-seveN's always seem to keep their value and increase in value if you trade one off.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Damn is it your listing lol. I mean come on. A) if i wanted pretty much any firearm out there i could buy it. B) not calling out people on this level of insanity just leads to more insanity. The pricing in the classifieds here is a joke at times some are fair. But i still say the best is the guy i offered full asking price to said ill be up to get it and he decided not to sale it after it had been listed for two weeks. Though looking at his history he does it all the time. That sorta stuff just wastes everyones time. if they want to go after people on this board for crap they should start there. If someones a little high on something fine. When your over double what the firearms worth well.

I'm just saying that people can ask anything they want for something and it's a waste of time to fret over it. If someone buys up all of the local stock in .22lr and then tries to double the price because they've cornered the market, then that is wrong in a lot of ways. But when someone is selling a commodity item like a G17 and wants double the value, who cares. Either they really don't want to sell it or they have no idea what it's real value is. The market will pay a price that is fair in the end. That's the beauty of unmanipulated capitalism. For instance, I have a Glenfield Marlin 25 that my father bought for me back in the 1970s. On a good day, it's probably worth $125. But, if someone liked it and asked me to sell it to them, I think they'd have to offer over $3000 before I'd even begin thinking about it. Would they think that I'm a thieving asshat? Probably, but as the owner of the item, it only need to consider what it's worth to me and not what it's worth to a buyer.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Without quoting anyone, I'm starting to see a theme here. Sometimes, depending on the buyers attitude, the price is not going to be discounted.
    Without being elitist, I've been known to have two prices in mind. You're a known person, you get the BIN price. You're a known gunshow "aisle dealer" or have a personality disorder, you are NOT going to like my price.
    Having met some folks on INGO as a buyer and a seller I've been pleasantly surprised. Never met a bad one.

Forgot to quote Busted, he is a wizard.
    "Well I bought a Phillips & Rodgers Medusa revolver in the mid 90's for around 650 and sold it a couple years ago on GunBroker for 3,200. I'd say that was a pretty good investment. Also the Smith and Wesson 76 I bought for 2,200 are now going for 7,000. There's several examples out there, but your not going to find it with the run of the mill Glocks, Springfields XD's, Sig's etc. You got to look for the unusual, plus condition, condition, condition. Boxes and manuals always add value. I don't understand why people throw that stuff away."

Cbrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    brownsburg
    Well I bought a Phillips & Rodgers Medusa revolver in the mid 90's for around 650 and sold it a couple years ago on GunBroker for 3,200. I'd say that was a pretty good investment. Also the Smith and Wesson 76 I bought for 2,200 are now going for 7,000. There's several examples out there, but your not going to find it with the run of the mill Glocks, Springfields XD's, Sig's etc. You got to look for the unusual, plus condition, condition, condition. Boxes and manuals always add value. I don't understand why people throw that stuff away.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think there are any new firearms on the market today that will be worth triple or quadruple the initial cost in 20 - 30 years?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for the reply.

Do you think there are any new firearms on the market today that will be worth triple or quadruple the initial cost in 20 - 30 years?

In all of that those are now collectors and not current offerings. Ingo is not a serious collectors site.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Hilarious how people think the AR market is screwed up. Just because some cheap China made parts and a flood of low end guns hit the market doesn't mean my 1000 dollar plus rifle isn't worth anything. That's funny right there.

If that's truly the case I'm going shopping! Pick me up some Barret and Noveski.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Isn't the free market wonderful?

People are free to choose their selling price...

And people are free to choose their buying price.

Best of both worlds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hilarious how people think the AR market is screwed up. Just because some cheap China made parts and a flood of low end guns hit the market doesn't mean my 1000 dollar plus rifle isn't worth anything. That's funny right there.

If that's truly the case I'm going shopping! Pick me up some Barret and Noveski.

This does not diminish your rifles worth it just adds a degree of difficulty if you should choose to move it/them. I have several in the safe that I will set on until all this gets settled. I do not have the big name rifles but all mine a builds with serious parts and do to my own insanity am upside down in them.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

Church has covered it below. It doesn't make your 1k gun worth nothing but does make it worth less. All depends. I have seen a couple DD factory rifles go under the 1k Mark.

If yours is a home build or rock river factory it is not equal to that DD or as you put it Noveske.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I've met a lot of people who overpaid while passing a background check. In fact I watched probably 10 or 15 at the last 1500 I went to. One that stands out was a P07, I was close enough to hear the final price at 600, that is 100 dollars more than you can regularly get them from gallery. I set the pistol I was considering down and walked away. There is a large percentage of gun purchasers who just believe they are getting a good deal because they are not indoctrinated into the culture and market. You see it on used car prices on craigslist too, people pay it because they think used means they are getting a good deal. This guy will sit on this glock for a while, but I see no reason to think he is illegally in possession of a firearm from an overpriced ad.

Why did you walk away? Because you thought the guy was getting ripped off? I’ve never bought from Gallery, but after seeing their fees added in their prices don’t seem that great a lot of times.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I watched a study done on human nature a while back.
    This researcher set himself up in an open air mall and began carnival barking.

He said he was going to raffle of a $20 bill.
    What ever the selling price ended up, that is what he would sell it for, even for a loss.
    There is only one caveat.
    Not only does the highest bidder win the $20 bil, but the person who ends up bidding second place still has to pay!

O.K. Ready? Here we go, and the bidding began.
    Two or three people thought they'd get a fresh $20 for cheap, so they bid low, then someone would out bid them, and they would bid again.
    Soon I think it became more of a situation of, "I don't want to come in second, and have to pay for nothing", so they would bid again...

In the end, the highest bidder got a brand new $20 bill for only $29! but the second place guy was also on the hook for $25!
    Then everyone was told this was a study on human nature and they were all given their money back.

It was an interesting example of how people let themselves get sucked into a bad situation, realize it, and still dig the hole deeper!

Not everyone on this planet are Mensa candidates.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Why did you walk away? Because you thought the guy was getting ripped off? I’ve never bought from Gallery, but after seeing their fees added in their prices don’t seem that great a lot of times.

I buy off of gallery regularly, we have two competitive shops in the Columbus area that make for some great deals after fees even. I walked because it wasn't a rare pistol I was looking at, so I just felt that I'd be happier putting my money into a shop that didn't have salesmen gouging the uneducated. I do the same at brick and mortar shops too. I honestly don't remember or didn't look at the sign on the booth so I'm not trying to smear anyone.

I believe in fair prices for quality used firearms. I will likely never shoot out a barrel on an ar, so if it is a quality factory piece I'll come close on retail, if it is a quality home build from a quality person I'm very likely to give asking if it is under what I would pay for the parts individually. Used doesn't mean run out, especially in modern firearms.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    If you hurry up, RIGHT NOW........IN THIS MOMENT.!!!! You my friends can buy your very own $400 custom spray painted Moisen with custom Monty Carlo stock and bent bolt.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Could you provide some examples? I can think of only 1 firearm I have in my possession that is worth more than I paid for it, and only because its over 100 years old.

Not trying to call you out on anything, but interested to hear what you purchased and have recouped your money on.

very recent examples; Saigas and VEPRs but those are artificially induced inflation.

Ive said it before and will say it again I do not believe you shot your AK/AR and most handguns 'less than 100 times' I accidentally shoot that much each time I go out. So on any current production guns I'm not paying near MSRP, if I can go get it under MSRP new in most (non bass pro) cases

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This could be a Special Purpose LE Edition carried by Melvin Purvis to take down Dillinger making it a rare Glock collectors item.
    Might have blood from a Spotted Owl on it too.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    After looking I'm finding ammo secondhand to somehow magically double in price... I don't understand how green tip can be had from brownells at .25 a round and when people offer it in a trade they expect .75cents to $1 per round???? Maybe the fact they opened it and poured it all into a harbor freight ammo can that has had some unknown goo dripping on it making it as sticky as the booth at an old waffle house ups the value. Selling ammo may be a nice buffer for my 401k

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I watched a study done on human nature a while back.
    This researcher set himself up in an open air mall and began carnival barking.

He said he was going to raffle of a $20 bill.
    What ever the selling price ended up, that is what he would sell it for, even for a loss.
    There is only one caveat.
    Not only does the highest bidder win the $20 bil, but the person who ends up bidding second place still has to pay!

O.K. Ready? Here we go, and the bidding began.
    Two or three people thought they'd get a fresh $20 for cheap, so they bid low, then someone would out bid them, and they would bid again.
    Soon I think it became more of a situation of, "I don't want to come in second, and have to pay for nothing", so they would bid again...

In the end, the highest bidder got a brand new $20 bill for only $29! but the second place guy was also on the hook for $25!
    Then everyone was told this was a study on human nature and they were all given their money back.

It was an interesting example of how people let themselves get sucked into a bad situation, realize it, and still dig the hole deeper!

Not everyone on this planet are Mensa candidates.

There are many studies that show people are very motivated to avoid loss. Often more motivated to avoid losing something (taking a loss) than they are by obtaining something that would benefit them (reward).
    A lot of sales training incorporates these themes to the seller's advantage.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I find it funny that anyone has to make a whole thread about price butthurt in the classifieds? I guess the run to 50 musta cost ‘em a lot?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom