PEOPLE, PLEASE STOP FOR SCHOOL BUSES!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    It was her facebook page. A really sad thing. Looks like the girl was doing good in her community. Tragic.

It is sad. People on FB are even calling for the death penalty. I hate tragedies like this especially, where the innocent die and the guilty party, even though accidental, is left to live with it the rest of their lives. Who of us hasn't done something careless in our younger days that could have had a tragic outcome? I can think of a few times myself. My heart goes out to all involved.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Just slow the **** down! There is no need to be driving that fast on city streets.

very true, speed limits in the citys aren't 55 mph.... this happened on a State Rd with a speed limit of 55 mph.

There is no excuse for this. I talked with my daughter earlier today, she lives in Rochester, knows of these families affected... this has devastated the community. My son in law wasn't on call for Fire today, or he'd have been on scene.

Pray for the families, pray for the first responders, many of the fire responders are volunteers, pray for the community.

This is a devastating tragedy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    very true, speed limits in the citys aren't 55 mph.... this happened on a State Rd with a speed limit of 55 mph.

There is no excuse for this. I talked with my daughter earlier today, she lives in Rochester, knows of these families affected... this has devastated the community. My son in law wasn't on call for Fire today, or he'd have been on scene.

Pray for the families, pray for the first responders, many of the fire responders are volunteers, pray for the community.

This is a devastating tragedy.

I have a few friends that were Fire EMT 1st responders. I used to get calls all hours of the night when they had these situations and were on the scene. They all had to move from those positions. I can not even begin to imagine how widespread the hurt goes from this.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    As someone that works in the field, I'm not a driver nor do I ever want that task, this is the worst thing that can ever happen. My heart goes out to the families involved, I pray for them and the driver that hit them.

Put your phone away when driving. Train your kids to look twice before crossing the street. Look for the big ugly National School Bus Glossy Yellow twinkies. Stop when the stop arm is out. Carry on with your life.

Stopping-for-busses_2.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    This has been the talk in the house all day. The girl was arrested at her business so she made it to work somehow. The curve before the bus stop is mild. There's a caution bus stop sign on the curve. There's a clear field of view way before the mailboxes across from the trailer park. The damage on the truck is severe. I can't see it any other way as the driver being totally at fault, clear field of view and marked on the road way, and all the damage on the truck. I wouldn't let my kids cross a highway by their selves but that's just me.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's confusing, but I don't think she left the scene. Her vehicle shows in the news foto near the bus. Massive front end damage. Really terrible.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Arrested at 4pm at work.

at a church, caring for children. when she was released from the scene, someone came and took her there. she didn't hide, she didn't run. I am sure she will take responsibility for her actions. no matter what the law can do to her, she's already done to herself much worse, and will, every day for the rest of her life.

If I hadn't talked to my daughter today, learned a bit about this young lady, I wouldn't have the compassion I do for her.

I'm so angry she plowed these children down, but she isn't an evil monster.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    at a church, caring for children. when she was released from the scene, someone came and took her there. she didn't hide, she didn't run. I am sure she will take responsibility for her actions. no matter what the law can do to her, she's already done to herself much worse, and will, every day for the rest of her life.

If I hadn't talked to my daughter today, learned a bit about this young lady, I wouldn't have the compassion I do for her.

I'm so angry she plowed these children down, but she isn't an evil monster.

Thank you for the added info and insight. It's always so easy to believe the worst in people when we chose to ignore the truth. As you said I doubt seriously that anybody will ever punish her as bad as she will herself.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    That you for the added info and insight. It's always so easy to believe the worst in people when we chose to ignore the truth. Ad you said I doubt seriously that anybody will ever punish her as bad as she will herself.

it is very easy to believe the worst in people. The Mom and Grandma side of me wants to see this young woman strung up and given to those she has hurt the most, the parents of these poor babies.

I have grandbabies the age of those twins. to think about life without my babies because of an avoidable accident, well, it just kills me. I would want that person dead. I really get it, I do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    it is very easy to believe the worst in people. The Mom and Grandma side of me wants to see this young woman strung up and given to those she has hurt the most, the parents of these poor babies.

I have grandbabies the age of those twins. to think about life without my babies because of an avoidable accident, well, it just kills me. I would want that person dead. I really get it, I do.

In our all to average daily routines it only takes 1 moment, 1 distraction. Just 1 and so many lives are put at risk or lost. This is something we tend to loose focus on. I know I do. Thinking of all that has to be done and get lost in that only to snap out of it and look in the mirror. I just covered a mile or more with no recollection of it. Most all of us do this. Or the distractions. Stereo system that block out the world. Phones, I-pads, TV's in our cars. It only takes 1 moment.

Now that said how in the name of any Holy Deity you may worship can you miss a ****ing school bus. How. That is what twists me up here.

Like any person with a soul I feel the pain in this. I hugged the girls last night. I thought of those lost in this tragedy. My heart and prayers go out to those affected.
    I will have some level of trouble praying for the woman that did this. But I should. But not today.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    As someone that works in the field, I'm not a driver nor do I ever want that task, this is the worst thing that can ever happen. My heart goes out to the families involved, I pray for them and the driver that hit them.

Put your phone away when driving. Train your kids to look twice before crossing the street. Look for the big ugly National School Bus Glossy Yellow twinkies. Stop when the stop arm is out. Carry on with your life.

Stopping-for-busses_2.jpg

This has always bothered me. Who decided it's a good idea to stop a bus and have children cross the street in the dark? Why don't the bus drivers modify their route so they can stop and pick the children up curb side?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Now that said how in the name of any Holy Deity you may worship can you miss a ****ing school bus. How. That is what twists me up here.

Only way is by not looking at the road except in peripheral vision (to not run off it) while attention is fully diverted by the device in her hand that's probably not above dashboard level. Multi-tasking while not paying attention to the most important task. To hit those kids as hard as she did it's fairly obvious that she wasn't even looking. Texting while driving is attempted manslaughter every time someone does it. I see them wandering over the roads most every time I drive; those of us who pay attention now need to do so even more diligently.

I have been involved in my share of metal rendezvous, one put me in the hospital...it was an early lesson in inattention on my part (talking to friend, ran a stop sign...saw it pass his window; but hey, it was early Sunday morning and the streets are empty right?) and speeding in town (other driver doing 135 in a 35; but hey, it was early Sunday morning and the streets are empty right?). It was an early lesson in SHUT UP AND DRIVE!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This has always bothered me. Who decided it's a good idea to stop a bus and have children cross the street in the dark? Why don't the bus drivers modify their route so they can stop and pick the children up curb side?

It's probably a time issue. Can you imagine the route if they were picking up every student at their driveway? In town going back to picking up children at a bus stop might be an answer but then of course you have kids walking in the dark to the bus stop. The simple truth is you can't idiot proof anything, you can come close but the almighty dollar rears its ugly head and people start screaming. Imagine the cost of equipping every bus with traffic cams? I live in a rural area and several of the bus drivers out here pull across the road blocking it with their bus!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's probably a time issue. Can you imagine the route if they were picking up every student at their driveway? In town going back to picking up children at a bus stop might be an answer but then of course you have kids walking in the dark to the bus stop. The simple truth is you can't idiot proof anything, you can come close but the almighty dollar rears its ugly head and people start screaming. Imagine the cost of equipping every bus with traffic cams? I live in a rural area and several of the bus drivers out here pull across the road blocking it with their bus!

Cameras are very low cost these days, and many buses have them inside the buses. There are other considerations, depending on if the video is uploaded to the cloud, or kept local, but wouldn't think the camera cost itself would be prohibitive.

Top Bottom