PEOPLE, PLEASE STOP FOR SCHOOL BUSES!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I doubt this is the first time she's driven this road at this time of day. I doubt this is the first time she's seen a school bus. As someone who takes care of children, I doubt she has never thought of their welfare before.

This act of negligence is unconscionable, especially given her circumstances. She wasn't doing her best, and this wasn't just a freak set of circumstances. She ****ed up as bad as a person possibly can, and her life is over now.

I have buried a child, but God has blessed me with 2 more, which helps. Her pain is absolutely meaningless compared to that of these parents. They have 3 huge holes in their hearts that will never be filled. They will be reminded of their loss, when they look at each other and see their children, when they walk past empty bedrooms, when they sit in a quiet house, when they eat a quiet meal, when they lie in bed knowing there are no children to tuck in first. When plans go unfulfilled, and hopes and dreams are lost. The pain NEVER fades, it only becomes less constant. You learn to live with it, but it's always there.

Every second of every day until the Lord takes them home to be with their children again.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I used to drive school bus. I would plan my route so that I always picked up the kids on the right side of the road. No kids ever had to cross the street.

School buses have huge red lights up top and a stop sign that pops out on the left side. Kinda hard to miss. I still had cars blow past me every day.

Some may say that this woman isn't a monster, that it was a mistake, etc. But in my opinion, anyone who blows past a school bus with its red lights on is a monster. They have no regard for the safety of any of the children on board.

The pain that she feels every day for the rest of her life isn't nearly what she deserves. A family lost 3 kids because she thought she was more important than anyone else on the road. Whether she was distracted, or did it intentionally, she still had no regard for the safety of anyone else on the road.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This has always bothered me. Who decided it's a good idea to stop a bus and have children cross the street in the dark? Why don't the bus drivers modify their route so they can stop and pick the children up curb side?

In some areas, that isnt practical. Dense neighborhoods for example. In the immediate area of my home, about 6 kids catch the bus at 2 stop signs at either end of my block. seeing how they walk to the stop, that bus making one pass down one street as it heads through the hood, just my little AO, would require that the bus pass my house no less than 3 or 4 times to hit the kids on both sides of the 3 streets. That would be a nightmare. Not to mention the MUCH longer bus route, increased fuel costs, wear and tear on the busses, etc.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    In some areas, that isnt practical. Dense neighborhoods for example. In the immediate area of my home, about 6 kids catch the bus at 2 stop signs at either end of my block. seeing how they walk to the stop, that bus making one pass down one street as it heads through the hood, just my little AO, would require that the bus pass my house no less than 3 or 4 times to hit the kids on both sides of the 3 streets. That would be a nightmare. Not to mention the MUCH longer bus route, increased fuel costs, wear and tear on the busses, etc.

I agree that in urban/suburban areas, kids should go to a bus stop that is on the RH side of the road. Same for drop offs.

In rural areas, that is not possible. If you live on a state highway, there are no "safe" crossing options. Having the bus stop traffic is probably the best bet. Obviously it doesn't always work, but more often than not, it does.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree that in urban/suburban areas, kids should go to a bus stop that is on the RH side of the road. Same for drop offs.

In rural areas, that is not possible. If you live on a state highway, there are no "safe" crossing options. Having the bus stop traffic is probably the best bet. Obviously it doesn't always work, but more often than not, it does.

It also doesnt help that kids are kids and forget to look both ways before crossing the street. That probably plays a little bit of a role here too. (not that Im blaming them as some might accuse)

I saw one guy on my neighborhood FB group demanding a new state law requiring buses to pick up kids on the side of the street they live so they never have to cross the street. That would increase urban bus routes by an hour or more. And dont forget with busses driving around more, statistically that increases the chance that those kids will be involved in a bus accident now that its a 2+ hour ride for the farthest kids.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Popped up on my News Feed this morning, what can you say? Even money says this isn't the first time she blew past a stopped school bus. I see this all the time in Indy. Some people when they see the bus slowing down to stop the will speed up to get around the bus before the arms deploy.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    This has always bothered me. Who decided it's a good idea to stop a bus and have children cross the street in the dark? Why don't the bus drivers modify their route so they can stop and pick the children up curb side?

This is largely up to the local district's policy. In the city it is easier to route this way than out in the rural areas. It may be 10 or 20 miles to reroute to get this done. It also is generally not at the driver's discretion to make this change, at the same time they can have influence on how their route is planned.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Popped up on my News Feed this morning, what can you say? Even money says this isn't the first time she blew past a stopped school bus. I see this all the time in Indy. Some people when they see the bus slowing down to stop the will speed up to get around the bus before the arms deploy.

This is where I disagree with having the 8-light system, 4 amber and 4 red, the amber are to provide warning that a stop is coming up, and it is legal to pass with the amber lights on. Hurry up and go around, half way around the bus and the stop arm deploys- slam on the brakes or run it like a stop light. I've also seen buses sit for 5 minutes with the amber lights flashing and at a complete stop, waiting on a student. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How in the WORLD do you kill 3 kids and then go to work? Hell if I even just saw that accident happen I would go home and be a wreck the rest of the week.
    Different people handle trauma differently. Probably on autopilot because she didnt know what else to do. :dunno:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Different people handle trauma differently. Probably on autopilot because she didnt know what else to do. :dunno:

Probably in shock. She worked at a church, it's probably the only place she could think to go. The reports that she was "arrested at work" make it sound like she left the scene of the accident like nothing happened. I usually go to work as much as possible even after a death in the family, etc., it's the only way I can stop tormenting myself with my thoughts or grief.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have a few friends that were Fire EMT 1st responders. I used to get calls all hours of the night when they had these situations and were on the scene. They all had to move from those positions. I can not even begin to imagine how widespread the hurt goes from this.
    My wife worked on the ambulance at a firehouse fulltime. There are some funny stories but the bad stories are very bad. You must have the right personality to do those jobs. Same with the military. Or you dont last long and even the right people get ****ed up after so long of doing it. Constant bad will really **** you up

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Probably in shock. She worked at a church, it's probably the only place she could think to go. The reports that she was "arrested at work" make it sound like she left the scene of the accident like nothing happened. I usually go to work as much as possible even after a death in the family, etc., it's the only way I can stop tormenting myself with my thoughts or grief.

That makes sense. I think I would head for a church to.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is where I disagree with having the 8-light system, 4 amber and 4 red, the amber are to provide warning that a stop is coming up, and it is legal to pass with the amber lights on. Hurry up and go around, half way around the bus and the stop arm deploys- slam on the brakes or run it like a stop light. I've also seen buses sit for 5 minutes with the amber lights flashing and at a complete stop, waiting on a student. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I used to run into this pretty regularly except that the bus would be moving towards me with the ambers flashing for a measured 1/4 mile at low speed. You couldn't tell where he was planning on stopping or if. On more than one occasion I saw this game going on almost as if he were daring drivers to pass him and when he did he'd hit the brakes and throw the red lights on. The ambers should be like a stop light arrangement, they're on for a specific time then the reds come on.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I follow a bus on 252 every morning. When it gets into Morgantown it stops. Usually waits a while for kids to get on. By now there is a long line behind it. It pulls forward one house and pulls over to the side to let cars by. Why doesn't it just stop there in the first place?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I'm not quite sure why she was allowed to leave the scene to begin with. I didn't read anything about the incident other than initial report of the basics of what happened, but she should have been taken by LE straight from the scene to a hospital for a drug/alcohol screening.

My wife worked on the ambulance at a firehouse fulltime. There are some funny stories but the bad stories are very bad. You must have the right personality to do those jobs. Same with the military. Or you dont last long and even the right people get ****ed up after so long of doing it. Constant bad will really **** you up

EMTs/paramedics don't get the credit they deserve for dealing with the things they do day in and day out, that is for sure. I'm convinced you need a sense of humor that most other people just don't get to do it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm not quite sure why she was allowed to leave the scene to begin with. I didn't read anything about the incident other than initial report of the basics of what happened, but she should have been taken by LE straight from the scene to a hospital for a drug/alcohol screening.

EMTs/paramedics don't get the credit they deserve for dealing with the things they do day in and day out, that is for sure. I'm convinced you need a sense of humor that most other people just don't get to do it.

I can't imagine that she wouldn't have been. In fact, if she wasn't, some heads should roll. There's a reason it's statutorily required.

Top Bottom