PEOPLE, PLEASE STOP FOR SCHOOL BUSES!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How in the WORLD do you kill 3 kids and then go to work? Hell if I even just saw that accident happen I would go home and be a wreck the rest of the week.

This is truly hard just to follow. But I am drawn to this thread. I have lost a son. He was no child but I lost him all the same. And no, you never get fully over it. Surviving his passing and all that life threw at us in a short few years took every ounce of strength we could muster.

I have spent my adult life getting my kids up and off to school. Getting them ready for what the world will present to them. 2 sets. 1st marriage and and all the way through the 2nd. Now I greet my 3 Grand daughters every school morning with a breakfast I prepare. (they live next door) and take them to school. It is a very special time for all of us. Just the thought of this being stolen from me makes me cry. Yes, real tears. I know the loss but nothing at this tragic level. I am not sure I could survive what that family is experiencing right now. Is there even that much strength to be gathered. I do not want to find out.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    On our drive to work this morning we were stopped behind a school bus with the stop arm out. I told the wife if anyone in the on-coming lane goes by that arm. I'm doing a u-turn and following them while you are calling 911. Watching the report last night on the news put me in tears.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Probably in shock. She worked at a church, it's probably the only place she could think to go. The reports that she was "arrested at work" make it sound like she left the scene of the accident like nothing happened. I usually go to work as much as possible even after a death in the family, etc., it's the only way I can stop tormenting myself with my thoughts or grief.

I've heard, from reliable people, of her phone call to 911, and to a friend who is a 911 dispatcher.
    She was in a total state of shock. Beside herself with the tragedy that had just happened. I still don't know why she didn't heed the lights, the stop arm. I do know the first call came in at 7:05am. My daughter left her home at 7:20 am and she said it was pitch black then.
    I am sure she was taken for her blood test, then released.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've heard, from reliable people, of her phone call to 911, and to a friend who is a 911 dispatcher.
    She was in a total state of shock. Beside herself with the tragedy that had just happened. I still don't know why she didn't heed the lights, the stop arm. I do know the first call came in at 7:05am. My daughter left her home at 7:20 am and she said it was pitch black then.
    I am sure she was taken for her blood test, then released.

Seems to me that school bus red lights would be easier to see in the dark.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Perhaps part of the solution is to not have daylight savings so late in the year. And not to hold morning events involving children (like school) in the dark.

Human activity has been regulated by the sun for 10,000 generations. What makes us think daylight savings is a better idea?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

I agree.

I am not excusing her, nor will I ever. I know we don't know all the facts. I know that bus stop is on a dangerous S curve. I know Tippy Valley has NOW changed that stop to be in the trailer park, like the parents had asked for before this happened.

I called my granddaughter this afternoon, I just had to hear her beautiful little voice. She is 6 years old, she would ride the bus to school if my daughter didn't chose to take her. My heart is breaking for all involved.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    This is truly hard just to follow. But I am drawn to this thread. I have lost a son. He was no child but I lost him all the same. And no, you never get fully over it. Surviving his passing and all that life threw at us in a short few years took every ounce of strength we could muster.

I have spent my adult life getting my kids up and off to school. Getting them ready for what the world will present to them. 2 sets. 1st marriage and and all the way through the 2nd. Now I greet my 3 Grand daughters every school morning with a breakfast I prepare. (they live next door) and take them to school. It is a very special time for all of us. Just the thought of this being stolen from me makes me cry. Yes, real tears. I know the loss but nothing at this tragic level. I am not sure I could survive what that family is experiencing right now. Is there even that much strength to be gathered. I do not want to find out.

I've spent a few years raising a grand daughter too. I understand exactly what you mean about the bad thoughts. Learned I had to cut those off at the start. Paw paw has a far too vivid imagination informed by too many decades of watching the world turn to poo.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is going around FB. Not sure how much truth there is to it.

She apparently thought it was a farm tractor. As much as I drive and see these on the road, I could kinda see how the bus could be mistaken for a tractor. Especially in the state of mind she would have been in with her dad having a heart attack......if that's true.

It's tragic regardless. 2 families destroyed. I just hope her punishment is less than some 3 time DUI scumbag that kills someone while committing thier 4th DUI.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is going around FB. Not sure how much truth there is to it.

She apparently thought it was a farm tractor. As much as I drive and see these on the road, I could kinda see how the bus could be mistaken for a tractor. Especially in the state of mind she would have been in with her dad having a heart attack......if that's true.

It's tragic regardless. 2 families destroyed. I just hope her punishment is less than some 3 time DUI scumbag that kills someone while committing thier 4th DUI.

Regardless of the reasons. She screwed the pooch. Yes, people can get off the rails. Anonymity of the keyboard brings out the inner butt-head in far to many people.
    I have made what I call the terror run to the hospital on more than a few occasions and in that it only heightened my awareness. But I have been licensed to compete in a few different racing series so the skills are there. I understand there was a curve. But at that dark hour a well lit up stopped school bus tends to light up the area. If you do not have the ability to panic drive..........do not drive panicked. Easy to say. Harder to do. So many lessons here. So many.

Again.....it only takes 1 small moment. Just 1.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    One thing doesnt make sense in the fb post. She was allegedly rushing to see her father who was undergoing emergency surgery, but once let loose by the police she goes to work instead of to see her father. Im not sure on this one but i guess its possible

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I got rear ended a few years back and it was early in the morning and dark.
    The person that hit me was a young girl on her way to work. She was putting on her make up, dome light on, and looking in the rear view mirror. I could see how you could miss school bus lights under similar circumstances.
    I saw her coming and told my son to drop down in the seat.
    She got indignant when I suggested that she do her make up at home and leave for work earlier. Said she didn't have time.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I can't even imagine what it's like for a family to have three children one minute, and no children the next.

Something like this very similarly happened in my family. Several years ago I lost my four sisters in a single car accident. I had lost one of my older brothers less than a year prior in another car accident. Within one year we went from nine of us kids down to four. To this day I am amazed my parents were able to hold it together, but they did. In fact in made them stronger. They turned to church and concentrated on us four boys who were left. I admire my parents more than I can say. I could have never had better parents and I only hope I can be as good of a father as my dad.

My prayers go out to this family. May God watch over them and help ease their pain.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    As an adult and former motorcycle rider I have learned to expect drivers to screw up on a regular basis. Children cannot be expected to have that same awareness. That’s why there are often crossing guards near schools even at 4 way stops and traffic lights where drivers are “expected” to stop. Frankly I’m surprised this type of tragic accident doesn’t happen more often especially on dark rural roads with a 55mph limit with children crossing an active traffic lane apparently without assistance from anyone who realizes that just because the red sign says stop that the oncoming headlights aren’t going to comply. Just the smallest change in the chain of events and all this never happens.
    It’s too easy to say the lady screwed up and move on. Mishawaka has no buses and kids somehow get to school. Other districts route buses to only pick/drop on residence side of the road. I regularly wait on a parent who walks their child across the road to deposit her child on the bus steps and the arm stays out until she is safely back across the road. This didn’t have to happen!!! I find myself angry with everyone remotely related to this event except for those precious children.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Thought it was a Tractor? Ok here is a news flash if you are not capable of operating a motor vehicle you don't do it period. If your not in a frame of mind due to duress you don't drive. No excuses here period.

Praying for their families.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    One thing doesnt make sense in the fb post. She was allegedly rushing to see her father who was undergoing emergency surgery, but once let loose by the police she goes to work instead of to see her father. Im not sure on this one but i guess its possible

Well, things changed when she killed three people. She was trying to be with her father (in waiting room probably) but suddenly her crisis was worse than his and she sought solice where she could

the scene I was at no one was talking to the lady that hit the pedestrian. It was odd

Top Bottom