• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why would you carry the cheap gun and not the best (be it a Ravine or a Bear or the other way around) you can in defense of your life? It seems to me if your life or your loved one's life depended on it you would want the best tool to protect them in your holster that you could afford.

Hooray, another gatekeeping thread!

What does a bear down in a ravine have to do with this? :dunno:

"Best" on it's own is simply a marketing word.

In this case, we're talking about a carry handgun. So, like the good engineer I am, you need to start with high level needs, get input from all the stake holders, create a set of validation tests, then distill the high level needs into requirements, then explore the solution space and come up with some suitable candidates, then create a trade study based on the requirements and subjective and objective evaluations, then do a sensitivity test to on the winner of that study to determine any possible need for correction...

...all in all, what's "best" for you isn't best for everyone.

Point 2: A handgun is the only thing I use to protect myself and family. Maybe I should put some of that money toward a safer car, or better locks, or insurance, or cameras, or a flashlights, or force on force training... the handgun is a tool, and only one tool.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Please explain "Why cheap not the best"

7eDV9PC.jpg

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    There is nothing wrong with spending money on a gun you like, but from a practical perspective.........

Spending more than the $300 a used 40cal glock costs isn't going to get you a substantially more reliable, combat accurate, or more effective gun. I don't care for the Glock 23 myself but the guy carrying this $300 gun is easily as well equipped as anyone else out there.
    In a defensive situation the guy who spends $3000 on a Les Baer is usually going to fair worse than the guy who spends $300 on a surplus glock and $2700 on training, ammo, and trigger time.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Besides the firearms training, lets not forget the costs of gear. Mags, holster, mag carrier, belt are all nearly as important as the gun for proper daily carry and, heaven forbid, deployment.

When it comes to gun specific gear and accessories, it would be hard to argue with the 9mm Glock platform for the competitive aftermarket and used market availability.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Define best

Define cheap as well. Inexpensive doesn’t mean cheap or it can’t fulfill the role of a carry choice.

I tend to used the terms 'buy a solid quality pistol for a good price and don't overlook used' when suggesting to others when they're searching for the 'right' handgun for them!
    I have a friend who has an 'expensive' $1100 Kimber .45 that is so finicky that it won't feed certain types of JHP ammo, whereas the same individual has a 'cheap' High Point Compact 9mm (her 'bathroom gun') that'll shoot anything you feed it!
    I'm pretty much a Glock or Ruger person and, while I've owned Beretta's (my wife currently has a 92FS), Colt's, H&K's, S&W's, Taurus's, etc...I've pretty much settled in with Glock and Ruger because
    a) they fit good in the hand,
    b) they are 'quality' pistols,
    c) they provide what I want, and
    d) they are at the price point I can manage.
    Keeping in mind that...
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    Value is determined in a time of need...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've tested 3 Canik pistols to over 1,000 rds without cleaning just lube as needed and they were accurate and not one failure. I was able to get the Canik TP9V2 to 2,200 rds before my daughter claimed it as hers. The TP9SF over 1,000 rds and my nephew wanted it so I gave it to him as a birthday gift. I'm currently working on a TP9DA have currently fired 1,200rds through it. I clean and lube out of the box then I start in and lube at 300rd mark. Its 1,200 rds now function is outstanding as is accuracy. 900 rds without any lubrication.

What does it take for you to trust a pistol with your life? Is it brand name? Reliability? Accuracy? Or something else?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've tested 3 Canik pistols to over 1,000 rds without cleaning just lube as needed and they were accurate and not one failure. I was able to get the Canik TP9V2 to 2,200 rds before my daughter claimed it as hers. The TP9SF over 1,000 rds and my nephew wanted it so I gave it to him as a birthday gift. I'm currently working on a TP9DA have currently fired 1,200rds through it. I clean and lube out of the box then I start in and lube at 300rd mark. Its 1,200 rds now function is outstanding as is accuracy. 900 rds without any lubrication.

What does it take for you to trust a pistol with your life? Is it brand name? Reliability? Accuracy? Or something else?

Solid question. Trust. What is this exactly. I think it is different with everybody based on how one thinks of such things.

I would say you could trust those Caniks by virtue of round count/reliability/accuracy. They "EARNED" it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tend to used the terms 'buy a solid quality pistol for a good price and don't overlook used' when suggesting to others when they're searching for the 'right' handgun for them!
    I have a friend who has an 'expensive' $1100 Kimber .45 that is so finicky that it won't feed certain types of JHP ammo, whereas the same individual has a 'cheap' High Point Compact 9mm (her 'bathroom gun') that'll shoot anything you feed it!
    I'm pretty much a Glock or Ruger person and, while I've owned Beretta's (my wife currently has a 92FS), Colt's, H&K's, S&W's, Taurus's, etc...I've pretty much settled in with Glock and Ruger because
    a) they fit good in the hand,
    b) they are 'quality' pistols,
    c) they provide what I want, and
    d) they are at the price point I can manage.
    Keeping in mind that...
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    Value is determined in a time of need...

As much as I do not like the G**** line up I will never make an argument not to own one. There really is no argument to be made.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Duty/Stake your life and the life’s of others on weapons.

1. Trusted manufactures that have major contracts around the world with Mil/Leo they have been tested and proved in the real world.

Glock, FN, Walther, CZ, S&W, H&K, Sig, Colt, Beretta

2. Second tier manufacturers often copy designs and do not have major contracts with Mil/Leo in 1st world countries most are tested on the you tube by questionable people.

Ruger, Taurus, Canik, Springfield Armory, Rossi, Charter Arms, RIA, Kimber, Bersa,

3. Yeah ok they are firearms

Kel-tec, Hi-Point, and other stuff

Trust you life on what you want but understand others might depend on your choice as well I hope you made right choice if you save my life.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Duty/Stake your life and the life’s of others on weapons.

1. Trusted manufactures that have major contracts around the world with Mil/Leo they have been tested and proved in the real world.

Glock, FN, Walther, CZ, S&W, H&K, Sig, Colt, Beretta

2. Second tier manufacturers often copy designs and do not have major contracts with Mil/Leo in 1st world countries most are tested on the you tube by questionable people.

Ruger, Taurus, Canik, Springfield Armory, Rossi, Charter Arms, RIA, Kimber, Bersa,

3. Yeah ok they are firearms

Kel-tec, Hi-Point, and other stuff

Trust you life on what you want but understand others might depend on your choice as well I hope you made right choice if you save my life.

Very few of those (if any) are over $600.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Very few of those (if any) are over $600.
    Yet you will see folks that still refuse to delay gratification and skimp on life saving gear. Amazon sells an assload of $15 CAT knock-offs compared to the $30 NAR’s. A guy will spend $350 on a Death Dealer 21, $.39 on a sausage sack fits all holster, and talk the dealer into selling him loosies to fill his mag , 2 hollowpoints and 14 ball rounds. Then he’ll use his $1200 phone to upload pics and vids to the ‘gram. The $150 gun you have is better than the $500 Glock you don’t is a bull**** straw man argument. People are too ****ing cheap to spend money on lifesaving equipment. That’s why all these other companies even exist. The race to zero is real.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Yet you will see folks that still refuse to delay gratification and skimp on life saving gear. Amazon sells an assload of $15 CAT knock-offs compared to the $30 NAR’s. A guy will spend $350 on a Death Dealer 21, $.39 on a sausage sack fits all holster, and talk the dealer into selling him loosies to fill his mag , 2 hollowpoints and 14 ball rounds. Then he’ll use his $1200 phone to upload pics and vids to the ‘gram. The $150 gun you have is better than the $500 Glock you don’t is a bull**** straw man argument. People are too ****ing cheap to spend money on lifesaving equipment. That’s why all these other companies even exist. The race to zero is real.

I believe you just described the guy I worked with last night. Subcompact xd9 in a very worn out oversized nylon holster that was literally coming apart at the seems with a Rohm 22 revolver tucked into his vest. I enjoy my job due to the fact that I work alone alot but honestly worry when I have a coworker because of this mindset.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

tard.jpg

JustinApex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Indy North
    I know some people that can afford essentially any commercially available firearm available in the world. Their justification for carrying a "cheap" side arm is that if they are ever forced to use it then when it is confiscated as evidence and "misplaced" in the evidence room they aren't out much.

This is why I stopped carrying a P7.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

now you sound like me.

Top Bottom