• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Here is a thought to put out. Cheap or inexpensive firearms for one my not be for others.

My uncle is a multimillionaire he's a gun nut as well. He doesn't own anything that's less than $2,000 firearms. The majority of his firearms are collector, or commemorative firearms. So pretty much anything under $2000 he considers cheap, inexpensive and not worth owning.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The more bear you have, the less cool you are. To be really cool, you have to have less bear.

iu

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I's gots me sum purdy guns, but a Glock il gets a boolit in da air faster dan I can lern foniks. No wun can say I'm slow.
    Nots dat I'll ever needit, unless I hav to use it, like ta talk ta people n stuf.

The gun that needs invented just for me,
    Smith and Wesson pro series 1911 commander size with no safeties.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I looked. They have one. The grip safety will have to go. Now I'm trying to convince myself I didn't see it. :bash::spend:

You can eliminate the grip safety function. My 10mm 2011 has a pinned grip safety.
    Not sure what the issues are with the thumb safety.

I am going to pin the grip safety on the 1911 single stack steel gun when it comes up on the list rotation.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I will say I didn't post what I was trying to ask. I hear a lot of the time "I won't carry my high dollar gun because it might get take if in a shooting", "I shoot it so much better than anything I own". Why would you carry any other gun you own if that is the gun you shoot the best.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I will say I didn't post what I was trying to ask. I hear a lot of the time "I won't carry my high dollar gun because it might get take if in a shooting", "I shoot it so much better than anything I own". Why would you carry any other gun you own if that is the gun you shoot the best.

UH....yeah…….:):

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    UH....yeah…….:):

Hey, maybe I goaded him into it. :):

Why would you carry any other gun you own if that is the gun you shoot the best[?]

Well, I shoot my .22 LR with a big red dot better than my .45 ACP.

Maybe you can't find a good holster. Maybe you want something smaller, or bigger, or more reliable, or with a larger capacity, or with an attachment rail...

There's manifold reasons why.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One reason is the one I shoot the best might be a real pain in the ass to carry. It is big and heavy and I am a dainty flower.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I normally carry a DW Valor Commander I have no concern about my pistol being “taken” if I am above ground it did its job.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I'm not familiar with a Ravine or a Bear, though I do know of a Les Baer.

Cheap? No way. I define "cheap" as poorly made, sub par components, cutting corners.

That is different than "inexpensive". While it is true one get's what they pay for, you can find quality for less expense. And secondly, "inexpensive" is different for people. $100 for something may be expensive for me while some Wall Street tycoon could add a couple zero's and still call it inexpensive. I own a $3500 bicycle but would never spend $500 for a watch.

Best is a totally objective term. That is why advertisers can say something is the "best". It can't be defined by any set of criteria.

I do have a motto; The best is just good enough for me. But in reality my best is someone else's mediocre. I used to try to own the top tier products in everything I have, but as I grow older and my bank account is not growing I have come to realize that I need to match the quality with how I intend to use it.

Short story long, for a carry firearm, I will have something that has proven itself to me to be dependable. If it is not, I won't carry it. And I can shoot it well enough.

But when friends ask me about what gun to buy, I usually say a Glock 19. I don't own any Glocks, but if that friend likes the feel of it and can learn to shoot it, then I don't see that as a bad decision.

Tell us more about the bike. . I ride a lot. But only about $2500 invested in my bike.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Why would you carry the cheaper gun and not the best (be it a Ravine or a Les Baer) you can in defense of your life? It seems to me if your life or your loved one's life depended on it you would want the best tool to protect them in your holster that you could afford.

when I see the commercials for Les Bear and the guy is grinding on a part with a die grinder and the narrator says they are holding tolerances far superior to a CNC machine.... I roll my eyes and shake my head.

TacOpsGuy320

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Greenfield
    I think ultimately as a general rule you get what you pay for. "Best" is a relative term. For a handgun that you are going to carry you better make sure that its a gun that is reliable and that you know how to use it. You need to be comfortable with it so when you are in a high pressure situation you're not worrying about the firearm but managing the situation.

Top Bottom