• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Three Mouser Cats chomping at the bit to go outside.They have never been cooped up this long.One more day and I can release the hounds.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Three Mouser Cats chomping at the bit to go outside.They have never been cooped up this long.One more day and I can release the hounds.

Our cat is an indoor/outdoor cat. She's been bored out of her mind lately. Now she is keeping her predatory skills sharp by "sneaking up" on her own tail.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

My mousers are a pair of Jack Russells. There's no keeping them inside for days at a time. Normally, they go outside for about 2 hours at time, run and hunt to the point of exhaustion, then come back in, drink, and collapse on the cool tile floor in the kitchen. The last couple days, they keep it to a half hour or less. And when they go out, they confine their hunting trips to the barn. Now when they come in, they run for the couch and burrow under a blanket.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    -23F this morning up here.....but the Subaru started so I had to go to work:(

The furnace has been able to keep up (so far) and we are running a trickle of water out of every faucet to keep the well/waterlines from freezing. So far, so good. Hopefully everything is still that way we I get home tonight!

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    When it warms up to 0° at 5pm it's going to feel like a heat wave from yesterday's -51°+ temps.

Luckily it's been sunny both days and the wind hasn't been brutally strong.

mlouisalbert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Elkhart
    It really has sucked, work had us go in even though there is NOTHING going on. To top it all off the wires car wouldn't start this morning, spent 30 minutes in the cold trying to get it to start which it finally did. Then when she went out to head to work and fill her tank the electronic assisted power steering stopped working so she went back home. I was looking on some forums since it is an 09 VW Tiguan and it looks like it might be a severe cold related issue..... Like Ballstater98 said with that heatwave this afternoon hopefully it will get better later today.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    When it warms up to 0° at 5pm it's going to feel like a heat wave from yesterday's -51°+ temps.

Luckily it's been sunny both days and the wind hasn't been brutally strong.

Im still showing a 56° for Monday. Thats gonna feel 110° warmer than yesterdays wind chill temps

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I've seen the guy across the road warm his cars about every 4 hours. Seems a bit excessive to me.

He must hate gasoline. Or he is using it as a mobile office to get away from the family. Ha

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have been noticing more fire runs over the last few days.

Space heaters running on 18ga. extension cords would be my guess.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Daughter's outside car won't start today. Should I put in on the charger today, while its so cold, or try to hold off until Saturday?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Daughter's outside car won't start today. Should I put in on the charger today, while its so cold, or try to hold off until Saturday?
    I would leave it until Saturday, Unless it is absolutely necessary that it to be started.

Frozen batteries don’t charge properly and can be damaged. Additionally, unless it is cranking really slow, charging the battery isn’t likely to make it start.

If it is carbureted, don’t even bother with it unless you want to have to change the oil and clean the plugs. If Fuel injected it is probably just a combination of oil thickness and reduced battery power because of the cold. Charging it is unlikely to help much with either, and can damage the battery.

Let the weather warm up if possible, thereare a lot of ways to damage a vehicle trying to force a super cold start.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Got home and the wife was complaining about the gas furnace not "keeping up." It was 63 in the house. Fired up a couple of IR space heaters and the vent-less gas fireplace. House got warm but temp quickly dropped again once we shut them off.... investigated and sure enough, furnace not staying lit. It was giving an error code either about inlet or exhaust pressure. Yup, the intake was clogged.

A couple months ago we replaced a window. I keep forgetting to schedule a large item pickup with the trash and it's been leaned up against the back of the house. Now I purposely didn't cover the furnace exhaust, but it was close enough that with the way the wind was blowing, exhaust air was getting trapped behind that old window, turning to snow, and as it fell, got sucked into the intake, eventually clogging it. Cleaned it out, moved the window another couple feet, and the house is getting much more comfortable....

-rvb

Had a similar problem a few years ago. Turned out to be a critter crawled into the intake where i died and plugged it up.
    I now have some hardware cloth covering the opening.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would leave it until Saturday, Unless it is absolutely necessary that it to be started.

Frozen batteries don’t charge properly and can be damaged. Additionally, unless it is cranking really slow, charging the battery isn’t likely to make it start.

If it is carbureted, don’t even bother with it unless you want to have to change the oil and clean the plugs. If Fuel injected it is probably just a combination of oil thickness and reduced battery power because of the cold. Charging it is unlikely to help much with either, and can damage the battery.

Let the weather warm up if possible, thereare a lot of ways to damage a vehicle trying to force a super cold start.

Thank you for the advice sir!

:ingo:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Winter Weather Advisory until 10:00AM Friday

Winter Weather Advisory until 10:00AM Friday

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations of a light glaze expected.

* WHERE...Portions of south central, southeast, southwest and west central Indiana.

* WHEN...From 3 AM to 10 AM EST Friday.

* MAIN IMPACT...Slick untreated roads and surfaces.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions should impact the morning commute.

* AFFECTED AREAS: KNOX ... JACKSON ... MARTIN ... BARTHOLOMEW ... BROWN ... CLAY ... DAVIESS ... OWEN ... VIGO ... GREENE ... SULLIVAN ... MONROE ... JENNINGS ... LAWRENCE

Instructions:
    A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Expect slippery roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving. The latest road conditions for Indiana can be obtained by calling 1 800 2 6 1 7 6 2 3

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I've seen the guy across the road warm his cars about every 4 hours. Seems a bit excessive to me.

He must hate gasoline. Or he is using it as a mobile office to get away from the family. Ha
    My dad used to lay a light bulb on top of a battery. And yes, it was on. Never failed to start.

Top Bottom