• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    So as I was reflecting on how downright balmy it feels at 7F, I reflect once again on the eternal truth that you don't run water pipes in exterior walls. None. Never.

If you're on an unheated crawl....I'll say a prayer for you as it gets warmer.

My wife wants me to add a wall faucet over the dogs' water bowl, as they tend to go through more than a gallon each day. It would be on an outside wall after running through an unheated crawlspace.

I can't see it actually happening.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    On a Positive note....... it is POSITIVE today. First time since Monday? ...Tuesday?
    I might start my car tomorrow or maybe Sunday.

Oh.... Remember to check for leaks when it officially thaws out. Or geysers. You'll know..... :(

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My wife wants me to add a wall faucet over the dogs' water bowl, as they tend to go through more than a gallon each day. It would be on an outside wall after running through an unheated crawlspace.

I can't see it actually happening.

That does not seem like a recipe for happy times. 2 years ago, I had a "frost proof" sillcock freeze and break that ran from the heated basement out the back of the house. There was no insulation around the sillcock inside the wall. We didn't discovery it until spring the first time we tried to use the faucet....which promptly spilled water over 1/3 of the basement.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Definitely out of the vortex here. The light powdery snow that fell last night is now wet and slushy. Hopefully it'll be gone by tomorrow.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If you inflated your tires for the frigid temps, you may need to deflate them a little this weekend.

When you think about it only makes sense, especially since it's Superbowl weekend and Tom Brady and the Partriots are playing. :D

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I survived! I started the Yukon yesterday. I let it fun for about a half hour. Tried to start the PT Cruiser. It might have started if I would have tried a bit harder. It turned over fairly slow. I think the battery is about 5 1/2 years old. It is one I bought for my other Cruiser. It started reasonably easy this afternoon. It's been idling for about 10 minutes. I will replace the battery if it gives me any more issues.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I just saw a clip on fox59 news about salting the ice. 'Use less, watch your pets paws, etc.' They finished it up by saying that "It's equally important to pick up and dispose of the salt after the ice is gone."

WTF? Really? :rolleyes:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I just saw a clip on fox59 news about salting the ice. 'Use less, watch your pets paws, etc.' They finished it up by saying that "It's equally important to pick up and dispose of the salt after the ice is gone."

Never heard that one before. you suppose to mop up the water or do a contaminated soil removal?
    I could make a fortune on spill kits

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

At certain temps salt doesn't do a lot but give a grip surface. But it is still useful. Some ice melt products do have chemicals that can irritate pets paws (had this issue with one of my pups) and it can be harmful and or toxic. As far as cleaning up the salt, I agree, WFT!!

I do buy the "pet safe" stuff.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Earlys-Spring.png

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    My water lines are still frozen... I got a drip from my faucets, my toilet works, but the shower has no water whatsoever. I have a kerosene heater going at it under my house now, so hopefully that does the trick.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'd prefer not to pay someone for help lol.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My water lines are still frozen... I got a drip from my faucets, my toilet works, but the shower has no water whatsoever. I have a kerosene heater going at it under my house now, so hopefully that does the trick.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'd prefer not to pay someone for help lol.

Let your inside faucets drip whenever the outside temps are in the teens.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    Let your inside faucets drip whenever the outside temps are in the teens.

Sadly I had a constant stream of water going in the faucets. I think Its due to living on a farm plot with no wind blockage in any direction and the fact that we were in the negatives for so long with some wind hitting us pretty hard. I think I'll be planting some pine trees along the boarder of my yard this spring to help block some wind. I also think I will also go out and re-insulate my pipes with something better.

Top Bottom