• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Have they ever thought about partnering up with local agencies? When I went through rifle school at CPD, we had 4 in my class. We easily could've have 5 or 6 more. If IMPD has the time, and a instructor willing to watch after your people, I pretty sure our PD would welcome the interaction.

We don't allow progressive thinking south of 96th.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Did you see where Denny said they can't carry them during their probationary year?

I did. Assume two classes of 50 this year, and 2 rifle schools of 20 this year and next. 100 vs 80 in the same timeframe. I have no dog in the fight. I have my rifle. It makes perfect sense to me to have recruits trained on rifles and shotguns. I'd love to see them run a rifle school a month until everyone that wanted a rifle got one.

I'm enough of a cynic/realist to know that ain't happening. If they stopped the recruits from getting rifles, they would not add rifle schools. That's not how this dept operates.

As individuals, I 100% understand wanting a rifle. From an organizational standpoint, the department is always going to look at what works for them, not the veteran officers.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Also, didn't they switch the definition of the probationary year? I know when we came on, it started at graduation from the Academy. Thought I heard it switched to starting when the Academy started.

I absolutely may be wrong on that. Hard to keep track of all the rumors.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well that sucks. There should be an allowance as x1.5 isn't much difference and doesn't make the firearm deadlier. Who made up these rules? Criminals aren't going to care what LEO's optics are.

Guys like me made those rules. No magnification means a true 1x. It has nothing to do with making the firearm deadlier nor do we consider the opinions of criminals. It has to do with co-witnessing iron sights to the optic (required), not requiring exact eye relief (think gas masks or shooting support side), not reducing the FOV, allowing for both eyes open to encourage better situational awareness, etc..

I'm obsolete so my opinion no longer matters but a patrol rifle deployed in an urban LE role is a different animal than the missions our troops use theirs for. What may be good for one does not necessarily mean it'll be good for both.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Also, didn't they switch the definition of the probationary year? I know when we came on, it started at graduation from the Academy. Thought I heard it switched to starting when the Academy started.

I absolutely may be wrong on that. Hard to keep track of all the rumors.

A year after FTO. I have to do monthlies then a yearly with recommendation to retain or not for all my rookies.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Money invested in yourself. Back in the day long long ago, when I was going to patrol, my money went into the best, better than I could afford. That was a Model 19 S&W and then a Model 66 S&W. Off duty and plain clothes was a Colt Commander in 38 Super. Which drew consternation in the 70's. When we began to wear vests in the mid 70's I purchased a point blank vest and it was just under $200. Huge money in the mid 70's.
    My father explained it in the best way, If your life could depend on it you must have the most reliable there is, If you need it, it must perform no exceptions.

I clearly remember one person who purchased a revolver that at that time had a retail of $88.00 and change, it misfired almost every other round at the range. It was an import and that company now makes very good firearms. But at that time they had a tendency to be a trot line weight, but could not even do that well.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I’m more thinking about the quality of the rifles, not the quantity. I’m all for more, but just think the more should come from vets, not recruits.

I can't find fault with adding a week of training to the academy to have new recruits leave with the rifle school under their belts. In the long run, I suspect that will put more rifles on the street despite the fact that they can't carry them for a year ( I don't know how often you have range for your officers, but hopefully the rookies shoot the same course of fire with their rifles so they don't sit for a year in a closet ). It's one of those things that should probably have been that way the entire time, but wasn't.

We have the opposite problem on or department. Most officers with more than ten years are constantly trying to give up their patrol rifles so rookies can have them. They look at it as just another piece of equipment they have to maintain that they'd rather not.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I guess earning positions, promotions, and new gear is a thing of the past. I'll be back, headed to the academy to find a recruit to take my spot on EOD.
    Did you ever get a FT slot? I mean, if you’re gonna let a newbie take your spot it had better be a full time gig? Can’t have them doing cool **** only half the time!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I guess earning positions, promotions, and new gear is a thing of the past. I'll be back, headed to the academy to find a recruit to take my spot on EOD.

How hard is it to cut the red wire?

Seriously, though, you shouldn't have to earn being issued (or be able to carry/use your own) basic equipment. A patrol rifle should be considered basic equipment. While I actually understand the older guys feeling slapped in the face because new recruits are getting something they don't have, putting rookies through a carbine class makes sense. It makes more sense if it doesn't come at the cost of officers with some time on not getting the same class.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Depends on if you are colorblind.

That reminds me of a story. A few years ago I was out in the field with a gentleman from the DNR. He was trying to hook up a coffee maker he had taken out of his hotel room to his truck battery via an inverter with alligator clips). He was using NVGs because he didn't want to turn on a flashlight for some reason. Let's just say you can't tell which color wire is what using NVGs and the coffee maker didn't work after that.

It may not be as funny now, but it was hilarious then.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    That reminds me of a story. A few years ago I was out in the field with a gentleman from the DNR. He was trying to hook up a coffee maker he had taken out of his hotel room to his truck battery via an inverter with alligator clips). He was using NVGs because he didn't want to turn on a flashlight for some reason. Let's just say you can't tell which color wire is what using NVGs and the coffee maker didn't work after that.

It may not be as funny now, but it was hilarious then.

That is pretty funny!

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Guys like me made those rules. No magnification means a true 1x. It has nothing to do with making the firearm deadlier nor do we consider the opinions of criminals. It has to do with co-witnessing iron sights to the optic (required), not requiring exact eye relief (think gas masks or shooting support side), not reducing the FOV, allowing for both eyes open to encourage better situational awareness, etc..

I'm obsolete so my opinion no longer matters but a patrol rifle deployed in an urban LE role is a different animal than the missions our troops use theirs for. What may be good for one does not necessarily mean it'll be good for both.

Makes sense.

Then MRO/MRO patrol would work with low mount.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My stepson was going through the ISP academy in 2012 when I found out he wasn't going to be issued a carbine, which surprised me. I don't recall the exact details, but at some point I found out that there were certain specifications for a duty rifle. I emailed the local post (Sellersburg) that I wanted to buy him a duty rifle for a graduation/Christmas present, and they responded with the email address of an ISP armorer. We corresponded a few times, but it was clear that their requirements weren't as stringent I'd I'd thought they might be. I ended up giving him an AR that I built based on a Rock River upper/lower and a BCM barrel, which he used as his duty carbine for years. I think he's now using a Sig with some flavor of Sig Romeo RDS that was provided by the ISP.

Top Bottom