• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Got the Springfield edge. Glock 43. She’s doing great , southwest side is her duty station. Proud of her.
    Southwest? You do know there is an INGOer known for PIT maneuvers in the Southwest District.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    i had a rookie come in the shop one day he'd gone to rural king, and bought the bushmaster that was on sale, that came with a primary arms red dot sight (the cheapest one they make) and was asking why the red dot went out everyother time he pulled the trigger...he told me who he was, the nephew of the chief of police (who had been on the swat team too!), to which I asked "did you ask him before you bought this rifle?"...thankfully he replied "no why?"...I said "ask him what you should buy!"

I asked him if he'd but the cheapest vest he could?...if he'd but the cheapest boots he could?...if he had to buy his own ammo, would you buy the cheapest ammo you could?...he replied no, to which I asked the why did you buy the cheapest rifle you could???

my choices would be (in this order)
    1 Daniel Defense
    2 Rock River Arms
    3 LMT
    4 Larue
    5 build it myself! ...that way I know the parts weren't sourced to the lowest bidder!, you're buying a rifle to defend yourself and others!, your not buying a range toy that if you have a problem with you can take home and fix when you want, or have time!

the saying is "buy once, cry once!", if your looking to buy her one, why not ask her how much she was planning on spending, if she replies 500 or so, tell you you'll chip in the rest so she can get a rifle she can trust her life with!

the read im getting off your question (and I might be wrong) is you might be shopping for her, that's why I said pool your money, and if you've got money left over, use it for the aimpoint or eotech!
    I'm with #5 because I know what parts are going into it and that gives me more trust. Of course after at least 2k rds without cleaning it and no failures I approve of it. I do lube them as needed I just don't clean them until the 2k mark. Thats after a 500rd brake in. After brake in it gets cleaned and lubed. Then the 2k test.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    At the risk of extending the life of a necro thread I would like to have a conversation about the utility of LPVOs in a law enforcement context.

Firstly, am I to understand that so long as the lpvo is a true 1x, it's good to go?

Secondly assuming that it is. I would almost consider the utility of a 6x, or even 8x zoom to be of the utmost advantage. The ability to crank down on a lever and gain more clarity on a situation from 50m can't be over looked in my opinion.

That being said I wonder if there are
    Statistics regarding how frequently a patrol rifle is deployed on a suspect where there would be an opportunity to crank down vs the advantage in speed gains of a proper dot?
    I don't anticipate using an lpvo to take 400m shots in a LE context, but utilizing the zoom as a device to gain information, or place more accurate shots at

I think that If I were going to spend the money on instructing recruits I would actually prefer that they learn on an LPVO. That way everyone coming out of the academy has an understanding of how to use that particular tool. Going from an LPVO to a dot is do much easier than the other way around.

I say all of that to say that vortex razors, and primary arms platinum series LPVOs are great for duty use.

Edit: for the purposes of the thread I wholeheartedly recommend DD, BMC, and lantac as super solid for duty use
    Edit 2: wrong product name.
    Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Available to LE only, so if you're wanting to gift it to her that'll be an issue if you aren't sworn as well: https://geissele.com/super-duty-le-16-black.html

I use this as my patrol rifle, topped with an Aimpoint PRO: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-mp-15t but if I was just starting out the one above is probably what I'd go with.
    What is it about this rifle that makes it "LE only"? It does not appear to be select-fire? Are there other features that limit its distribution, or is it the manufacturer's preference?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Available to LE only, so if you're wanting to gift it to her that'll be an issue if you aren't sworn as well: https://geissele.com/super-duty-le-16-black.html

I use this as my patrol rifle, topped with an Aimpoint PRO: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-mp-15t but if I was just starting out the one above is probably what I'd go with.
    How often do rifles get deployed and used against criminals in your lifetime as an officer and in your department as a whole?

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    How often do rifles get deployed and used against criminals in your lifetime as an officer and in your department as a whole?
    In my area it's rather rare. Most officers in my city don't have patrol rifles. The county ERT (comprised of all agencies who want to contribute in the area) gets called out maybe once every 3 months in a rough year.

There is an officer locally who's had the misfortune of being shot twice. Once in his capacity on the ERT and a second as a Sgt on the scene of a hostage scenario.

That's absolutely an outlier though. Most officers around here can go their whole career without drawing their side arm. Let alone being in a place to deploy a patrol rifle.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In my area it's rather rare. Most officers in my city don't have patrol rifles. The county ERT (comprised of all agencies who want to contribute in the area) gets called out maybe once every 3 months in a rough year.

There is an officer locally who's had the misfortune of being shot twice. Once in his capacity on the ERT and a second as a Sgt on the scene of a hostage scenario.

That's absolutely an outlier though. Most officers around here can go their whole career without drawing their side arm. Let alone being in a place to deploy a patrol rifle.

I was wondering about that our sheriff deputies have them. I ask several if anyone has used them. They said in practice and training only. Of course it is Ripley County so not a lot goes on here.

So when you see Leo trade in rifles they would probably be in great condition mechanically speaking to buy. Not worn out like most GI issued rifles.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    I was wondering about that our sheriff deputies have them. I ask several if anyone has used them. They said in practice and training only. Of course it is Ripley County so not a lot goes on here.

So when you see Leo trade in rifles they would probably be in great condition mechanically speaking to buy. Not worn out like most GI issued rifles.
    I doubt that most patrol rifles would be nearly as beat up as any of the M4s that I used. There will be some wear from the racks that they ride around in. And if they are used in training CQB has as much a tendency to bang up a rifle as does anything else.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

watch this ^^^^ regarding why law enforcement should have a patrol carbine, and why it should probably have an LVPO. This is an event that frankly left me slack jawed. Not only for the sick predatory behavior of a feral human, but also for the anguish and terror of the mother, and the mind-blowing professionalism and skill of the law enforcement officers.

The officers in the video truly demonstrated via their actions their oath to protect and serve. Just the officers actions in trying to get to the child, and get him to safety were exemplary.

So yes, if it's up to me I want my tax dollars used to put a quality AR-15 pattern carbine with an LVPO and match grade ammo in every patrol vehicle.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US

watch this ^^^^ regarding why law enforcement should have a patrol carbine, and why it should probably have an LVPO. This is an event that frankly left me slack jawed. Not only for the sick predatory behavior of a feral human, but also for the anguish and terror of the mother, and the mind-blowing professionalism and skill of the law enforcement officers.

The officers in the video truly demonstrated via their actions their oath to protect and serve. Just the officers actions in trying to get to the child, and get him to safety were exemplary.

So yes, if it's up to me I want my tax dollars used to put a quality AR-15 pattern carbine with an LVPO and match grade ammo in every patrol vehicle.
    Those officers are true heroes. An absolutely horrible situation that ended as well as probable. This is the exact circumstance that causes me to recommend an LPVO. A patrol rifle has to be capable of performing multiple roles; and an lpvo allows that at the rotation of a lever.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Those officers are true heroes. An absolutely horrible situation that ended as well as probable. This is the exact circumstance that causes me to recommend an LPVO. A patrol rifle has to be capable of performing multiple roles; and an lpvo allows that at the rotation of a lever.

With a good optical sight. Like these new 1-8x sights that are out now. So they can have a close quarters sight and a sight that adjust to engage out to 400 yards all in one optic.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    With a good optical sight. Like these new 1-8x sights that are out now. So they can have a close quarters sight and a sight that adjust to engage out to 400 yards all in one optic.
    In my opinion it's the low percentage shot at 41 and a half meter on a target that has half his head covered that the LPVO is more useful for in a patrol rifle context. There aren't many circumstances where a patrol rifle will be used at 400m, I imagine, especially in an urban or suburban setting.
    But yes, that's the idea. I would be interested to hear from the above poster(s?) Who made policies regarding optics on the subject.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In my opinion it's the low percentage shot at 41 and a half meter on a target that has half his head covered that the LPVO is more useful for in a patrol rifle context. There aren't many circumstances where a patrol rifle will be used at 400m, I imagine, especially in an urban or suburban setting.
    But yes, that's the idea. I would be interested to hear from the above poster(s?) Who made policies regarding optics on the subject.

At 41 meters zoomed out to 8x you can put a shot on the freckle on the bridge of the bad guys nose without much trouble. I have a 1-6x on my 556 Frankin15 and it's shot in at 50 yards with 75gr Hornady bthp it will easily shoot 3/8" 10 shot groups if I do my part.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    What is it about this rifle that makes it "LE only"? It does not appear to be select-fire? Are there other features that limit its distribution, or is it the manufacturer's preference?
    I'd say manufacturer's preference due to the cost. Compare the cost of that one to any of their other rifles. $1175 LE only, cheapest other rifle they have is $1875.

I saw that video on a different channel, they edited the sound a bit more in this one. After the shot, the officer who took it started running towards the kid. Other officer starts saying "hold it hold it", the officer who took the shot replied "F that, get the kid". I just wonder if he has to get his pants specially tailored to fit his huge brass *****.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd say manufacturer's preference due to the cost. Compare the cost of that one to any of their other rifles. $1175 LE only, cheapest other rifle they have is $1875.

I saw that video on a different channel, they edited the sound a bit more in this one. After the shot, the officer who took it started running towards the kid. Other officer starts saying "hold it hold it", the officer who took the shot replied "F that, get the kid". I just wonder if he has to get his pants specially tailored to fit his huge brass *****.
    These guys would have made a difference if they were the ones responding to that Florida school shooting. Broward County iirc where the Deputes just sit outside while that idiot shot kids.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

LE can't buy anything you can't. Agencies can, but individual officers get no special breaks. It's LE only like blue label Glocks are LE only. A special price.

Personally? Only once to date. I mean, I've gotten it out a lot more then that but only had to actually use it once. It worked. I've no idea as far as department wide.

Top Bottom