• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So I think the point has been made: while a fire requires fuel, what becomes fuel in a pure oxygen environment can be quite surprising.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So I think the point has been made: while a fire requires fuel, what becomes fuel in a pure oxygen environment can be quite surprising.

Yes. The clothes at work that caught fire were VERY expensive fire RETARDANT clothes.
    But throw in some oxygen, not so much.

We had a guy a 2 caster fill the air with oxygen while trying to ignite an exothermic torch.
    This is a torch that ignites a metal rod. The metal burns.
    Anyway the guy got distracted when the area surrounding a coworker was surrounded by a fireball.
    That was the minor injury.
    The major one was during his distraction, the now lit torch blew a hole through the coworker's leg.
    Almost amputated it.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Cops doing their job = BAD!
    Cops not doing their job = BAD!

I can't keep up.
    So we only like cops when they do something we personally agree with regardless if legal or not. :dunno:

The problem is not weather they did their job or not.
    It's the fact that they lack the mental capacity to stand up for those they are sworn to protect.
    Yes, the law is the law.
    However, the same argument could be made that the speed limit is only 70 mph on I70 yet you don't get pulled over unless you're doing more than 80 mph.

Officers have a very difficult job and I have nothing but respect for them.
    This is, however, plain wrong. There is plenty of evil in this world to worry about other than someone on thier death making the decision, as an adult, to try something other than the prescribed poison being forced upon him.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I seem to remember when I was a kid that smoking even in hospitals was a regular thing.. dont think a hospital ever went up from smoking. You do realize O2 is NOT flamable dont you?! You do realize it's only a oxidizer.. it requires fuel before it can increase the ability of ignition.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There's a current commercial for St. Jude's Children's Hospital that shows stock footage of Danny Thomas touring his new hospital with a stogie hanging out of his mouth. Ironic that it was a cancer hospital.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    There's a current commercial for St. Jude's Children's Hospital that shows stock footage of Danny Thomas touring his new hospital with a stogie hanging out of his mouth. Ironic that it was a cancer hospital.
    Lol yeah , kinda.. have not seen that commercial but could see the irony. .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Do I not have a right to judge the wisdom of some behaviors?
    Remember you're outside looking in , be careful what you consider to be " wisdom " .
    Punkass , dogmatic Dr.s will happily write scripts for garbage (chemo drugs , etc ) that will most certainly kill the patients and will go wrong with confidence based on all the WISDOM they have at the moment .

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The problem is not weather they did their job or not.
    It's the fact that they lack the mental capacity to stand up for those they are sworn to protect.
    Yes, the law is the law.
    However, the same argument could be made that the speed limit is only 70 mph on I70 yet you don't get pulled over unless you're doing more than 80 mph.

Officers have a very difficult job and I have nothing but respect for them.
    This is, however, plain wrong. There is plenty of evil in this world to worry about other than someone on thier death making the decision, as an adult, to try something other than the prescribed poison being forced upon him.

You seem to misunderstand several aspects of this event. The police were called in by hospital staff. This is where your enforcement discretion argument breaks down, it was not some officer wandering the halls looking for random violations of drug or smoking policies - if it were the officer might have similar leeway to exercise discretion. No; this is like IHP, in your example, receiving a specific complaint that a driver on I70 is driving erratically and then being given a real time location and description of the car. Any wiggle room for officer discretion is greatly reduced, and arguing that any hospital patient should be given a pass on putting others at risk because of the circumstances of his hospitalization would be like insisting to that postulated IHP officer in the example that you were driving erratically because you had a fight with your spouse/significant, other so he should sprout you because you're in a tough spot.

The discretion in speed enforcement, where that is the only infraction evident, is more likely done to demonstrate intent and forstall any argument that you were momentarily distracted thus allowing your speed to creep up to 72 or some such. Make no mistake, you are in violation of the law at 71mph

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Remember you're outside looking in , be careful what you consider to be " wisdom " .
    Punkass , dogmatic Dr.s will happily write scripts for garbage (chemo drugs , etc ) that will most certainly kill the patients and will go wrong with confidence based on all the WISDOM they have at the moment .

That has nothing to do with my statement.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

I'm not sure exactly what this twisted sentence is saying, but if you are implying that chemo drugs are garbage, I know several cancer survivors who would be glad to tell you how full of **** that notion is.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm wondering why he didn't wait until he got home from the hospital to light one up. How is it that he the cops would come to the hospital room? Was he smoking weed in the hospital? And if that's the case, I'm not sure I feel a whole lot of sympathy for him.

Sorry if this point was covered already.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Lots of people concerned with him "lighting up." I think it's pretty clear that there was never any smoking going on, he takes capsules with THC in them. Of course, anyone dumb enough to smoke in a hospital deserves no sympathy.

I'm guessing "I smelled marijuana when I walked in the room" is a programmed response, since there's no way that is true.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm wondering why he didn't wait until he got home from the hospital to light one up. How is it that he the cops would come to the hospital room? Was he smoking weed in the hospital? And if that's the case, I'm not sure I feel a whole lot of sympathy for him.

Sorry if this point was covered already.
    They didn’t find any marijuana, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t smoke any. The guy admitted he tool some THC pills in the parking lot. Could be both him and his gf smoked a joint in the parking lot and went back in smelling like pot. And maybe that’s what the security guard smelled.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I saw the picture of the patient and his quilt....I'm not ready to say that a "marijuana smell" was impossible.

...and we seem to be putting a lot of faith in the statements of one person in a video. The truth is, we don't know​ much of anything about what led up to this or anything else.

I guess we haven't learned much of anything about drawing conclusions until all the facts are in. I would think the last few months would have been a good time to learn that lesson.

...and this seems like pretty much a nothing, in any event.

Last edited:

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    A few years ago I walked into the HR office as soon as I walked in I could smell it. Someone brought in paper work in a manila envelope it reeked. HR lady looked at my expression and said I smell it to he is on the way to be drugged tested. Any one in the room could have smoked it. There is a distinct difference people are only fooling themselves if they think other people can't smell it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    They didn’t find any marijuana, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t smoke any. The guy admitted he tool some THC pills in the parking lot. Could be both him and his gf smoked a joint in the parking lot and went back in smelling like pot. And maybe that’s what the security guard smelled.

If this is only about someone just "smelling" like weed, then the whole thing is pretty stupid. But that seems pretty far-fetched to me. As much as some over-zealous security guards might think, smelling like pot is not a crime, especially when they never found any. On the other hand, I understand that there's always more to the story than we know, perhaps the behavior of the couple had already caught the attention of people. If they had been discreet about it, nobody would have ever had a clue. On that note, something tells me this couple likely did something to "earn" it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I understand that there's always more to the story than we know, perhaps the behavior of the couple had already caught the attention of people...

...like the couple at issue, including the stage 4 cancer patent, huddling out in the parking lot smoking, according to them, tobacco....with the girlfriend of the patient stating that he (the patient) was smoking a Blackstone vanilla cigar....which are never hollowed out for other purposes....when the security rolled up on them informing them it was a smoke free campus.

...but heck, who knows what the real story is? I certainly don't.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If this is only about someone just "smelling" like weed, then the whole thing is pretty stupid. But that seems pretty far-fetched to me. As much as some over-zealous security guards might think, smelling like pot is not a crime, especially when they never found any. On the other hand, I understand that there's always more to the story than we know, perhaps the behavior of the couple had already caught the attention of people. If they had been discreet about it, nobody would have ever had a clue. On that note, something tells me this couple likely did something to "earn" it.

Exactly.
    Just because you're dying of cancer doesn't instantly make you a good person.

What I've taught my kids as well -
    "Respect Your Elders" is a great saying BUT- everyone grows old. Hookers, murderers, *******s, molesters.
    So, Respect Your Elders, Cautiously.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I'm not sure exactly what this twisted sentence is saying, but if you are implying that chemo drugs are garbage, I know several cancer survivors who would be glad to tell you how full of **** that notion is.
    And I can take you to graves of friends and family it didn't work for.

There's a lot of info out now that suggests cannabis is more effective in treating patients than the traditional, legal methods.
    I believe whole heartedly our guberment knows and has known that for decades.

Top Bottom