Lafayette, Indiana

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The target, but their rifles are not zero'd, they are John Wayning the shot, they are tongue waggers, inter alia.

Depending on the angle of the shot, degree of deviation, BC, etc it does not have to be off by much.

I am aware of all the angles that apply I guess I am just asking the obvious. Unsupervised n00bs with high powered rifles. I have never attempted to push a 223 out past 400 and even then there was little elevation involved. .308 out to 600 and even at that distance there was not enough "John Wayne involved.
    Shooting from a bench and looking at the berm there has to be some idiotic behavior.

I like the JW reference.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    2. Inshallah means "if God wills". It is used by Arabic speaking peoples of many religions (Muslim, Christian, etc.) as "not giving a solid f**k about where my bullets go".

Gosh Kirk, thanks so much. Talk down to me a bit more will you? Some of us here have just as much experience as you, maybe more. I know exactly what it means, learned it while I was actually over in the desert during the second big go-around. But you didn't know that did you? Maybe there are quite a few things you don't know about,yet profess to educate us all.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    This has already been suggested, but it helpful to see it in photos as we are males and learn by seeing, but the solution is to increase the height of the berm, install bullet roofs (prevent rounds from striking berm and flipping out of range), put a fence up on top and aggressive blue sky elimination, see page 14: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destinations/shooting_ranges/outdoor_shooting_best_practices.pdf
    Thanks for posting this link Kirk, I had not seen the article and it has great ideas for my own use as well as this thread. Personally, I have not seen deflectors on the berm (page 17) nor thought of that idea/practice (don't get out much maybe...)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am a little confused. This is one of those things where our opinions of right and wrong aren't going to matter. If bullets are flying into nearby houses and someone gets hit, we (gun people) lose. The opinion of the general public matters. The pressure put upon our political masters by the general public matters. The opinion of the court, inflamed by a dead kid, matters. This a loser for us and needs to be fixed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am a little confused. This is one of those things where our opinions of right and wrong aren't going to matter. If bullets are flying into nearby houses and someone gets hit, we (gun people) lose. The opinion of the general public matters. The pressure put upon our political masters by the general public matters. The opinion of the court, inflamed by a dead kid, matters. This a loser for us and needs to be fixed.
    f7FdEdG.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    2. Inshallah means "if God wills". It is used by Arabic speaking peoples of many religions (Muslim, Christian, etc.) as "not giving a solid f**k about where my bullets go".

Gosh Kirk, thanks so much. Talk down to me a bit more will you? Some of us here have just as much experience as you, maybe more. I know exactly what it means, learned it while I was actually over in the desert during the second big go-around. But you didn't know that did you? Maybe there are quite a few things you don't know about,yet profess to educate us all.

It is obvious you don't know Inshallah's meaning or origin as you believe it is associated with the Muslim Brotherhood. It is not. Or you feigned ignorance of Inshallah to attack me for objecting to slopping gun handling. Regardless, Inshallah is cultural, not political.

Inshallah is an excellent word as it describes the blase attitude that some in the gun culture have about safety and that is how we get innocent property owners shot in their garages.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks for posting this link Kirk, I had not seen the article and it has great ideas for my own use as well as this thread. Personally, I have not seen deflectors on the berm (page 17) nor thought of that idea/practice (don't get out much maybe...)

The N in INGO stands for Knowledge. Part of the reason we are here is to learn.

As the vast majority of us are male, we learn better by seeing. Thus, I found the photos from Minnesota, I think they help.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Agreed.

I think what we are seeing in this thread is what some of us think needs to be done and then the blame game. Who freaking cares why or when the houses were built. There are rounds getting loose.
    Figure it out and fix the issue or close yet another range.
    -Make the berm taller.....Yes.
    -Add a fence across the top....Yes
    -Build proper baffles....Yes
    -RO's that are not afraid to put idiots in check....Absolutely.

If this is beyond the owners ability to fund then close the range and sell off the property. Before someone gets hurt or worse.

I would as soon see the place close if this was going to continue.It is another black eye for our culture.
    If that can not be understood then we are all doomed.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Don't mind Kirk. He just puts words in people's mouths, builds them up as something they are not, then makes fun of the construct. He is almost always right in the principle of his argument, but the childish tactics cost him about any influence around here he thinks he has. Probably some kind of mommy issue or something.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The N in INGO stands for Knowledge. Part of the reason we are here is to learn.

As the vast majority of us are male, we learn better by seeing. Thus, I found the photos from Minnesota, I think they help.

Case in point. Without the first part of this post, the second part becomes more helpful.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    **** happens, we all understand that, right? RSO or not, things will happen. Everyone agree? Great! Since we all agree derp happens, then the range needs to do something to address it.

If you've been to atturbury, I'd say it's a fairly well run range. Next time you're there, look around, specifically up. There are dozens of marks for rounds where there shouldn't be. And I'm talking within 10' of the line. MCF&G. I've only been there one weekend. I believe on the main firing line at the south end there's a wall up in the air to prevent a high shot from going too far. It's a fact that it will happen. Not doing anything about it and blaming individual shooters is wrong.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    it seems to me that there are two sets of issues surrounding this range. First, there is the "nuisance" that any range creates, especially the noise. It is reasonable and fair to attribute blame to the people who purchase or build homes near a range (or a CAFO farm, or a quarry) and then complain about the noise/dust/odor/whatever. The homeowners are coming to the nuisance in this case. Two general cases that come to mind are the housing developments near the firing range and driving track behind the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. The new residents complained about the gunfire, the loud vehicles, and large groups of young men and women doing PT at zero-dark-thirty sounding off smartly, just like they are supposed to. The other group that comes to mind are all the people in Johnson/Bartholomew Counties who bought property adjacent to Camp Atterbury, and then complaint about small arms, artillery, and aircraft. The military base has been there since 1942 and it is reasonable to expect that the loud and obnoxious things are going to happen (it's the sound of freedom, right?). Disagreement about what level of noise/smoke/whatever is reasonable and to be expected.

On the other hand, shooting any firearm is inherently dangerous, and those responsible, including the shooter and the range, have an absolute duty to ensure that every round fired remains on the range. ZERO is the acceptable level of failure here.

It does not advance the case for those of us who enjoy the shooting sports and are trying to protect and further our rights to confuse the two, and even appear to look like one is arguing that rounds flying out of a designated impact area are acceptable because of the conduct of anyone who is not on the range.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    it seems to me that there are two sets of issues surrounding this range. First, there is the "nuisance" that any range creates, especially the noise. It is reasonable and fair to attribute blame to the people who purchase or build homes near a range (or a CAFO farm, or a quarry) and then complain about the noise/dust/odor/whatever. The homeowners are coming to the nuisance in this case. Two general cases that come to mind are the housing developments near the firing range and driving track behind the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. The new residents complained about the gunfire, the loud vehicles, and large groups of young men and women doing PT at zero-dark-thirty sounding off smartly, just like they are supposed to. The other group that comes to mind are all the people in Johnson/Bartholomew Counties who bought property adjacent to Camp Atterbury, and then complaint about small arms, artillery, and aircraft. The military base has been there since 1942 and it is reasonable to expect that the loud and obnoxious things are going to happen (it's the sound of freedom, right?). Disagreement about what level of noise/smoke/whatever is reasonable and to be expected.

On the other hand, shooting any firearm is inherently dangerous, and those responsible, including the shooter and the range, have an absolute duty to ensure that every round fired remains on the range. ZERO is the acceptable level of failure here.

It does not advance the case for those of us who enjoy the shooting sports and are trying to protect and further our rights to confuse the two, and even appear to look like one is arguing that rounds flying out of a designated impact area are acceptable because of the conduct of anyone who is not on the range.

You forgot the jackwagons here in Indy that bought houses adjacent to Eagle Creek Airport then tried to get the airport shut down. Airport was there long before their houses, and the neighborhood shares a drive with the FBO, so they had to drive by the airport sign to get to their houses. So they had absolutely ZERO reason not to know they were buying right next to an airport.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8278063,-86.2940163,1166m/data=!3m1!1e3 (Eagles Landing/Waterthrush)

Top Bottom