• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Don’t do that. They’ll come out to reassess and then notice some stuff they missed last time.
    I have never had them come out again. I have challenged my county many times because they seem to pull numbers out of the air. I understand that houses in the area selling for way over what they should changes my value, but if I have a meh place that has had no outside upgrades for years and then suddenly the value goes up 1.5x something needs said.

Odd how much adding a new roof increases the value of the property. Gotta pay the people that deal with the permits somehow.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Odd how much adding a new roof increases the value of the property.
    Was the roof a three tab that was upgraded to lifetime dimensional shingles? Then it likely will increase the value. I assume you would agree that a bathroom of imported Italian marble with stained glass windows and $15,000 of plumbing fixtures should be taxed more than your bathroom?

Quality of materials is a part of assessment. A like for like roof should not increase value.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What should they be selling for?
    Whatever the biggest sucker is willing to pay. When I lived in Missippi someone from California bought my neighbors house, online, sight unseen, for $100K more than comps. The sellers had listed it with some online broker, and started it off that high knowing no one would pay that much. Well. Someone did. Coming from California , they thought a house like that with that much land is a steal.

Both parties thought they got a great deal. :): But, there were better homes on better land that would have been a better deal. So yeah. Suckers. At least my neighborhood there had no HOA.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Whatever the biggest sucker is willing to pay. When I lived in Missippi someone from California bought my neighbors house, online, sight unseen, for $100K more than comps. The sellers had listed it with some online broker, and started it off that high knowing no one would pay that much. Well. Someone did. Coming from California , they thought a house like that with that much land is a steal.

Both parties thought they got a great deal. :): But, there were better homes on better land that would have been a better deal. So yeah. Suckers. At least my neighborhood there had no HOA.
    It had to have been an idiot with cash, thus no appraisal, and no buyers agent representing them. I have been hearing that same story for forty years, more likely an urban legend than true…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It had to have been an idiot with cash, thus no appraisal, and no buyers agent representing them. I have been hearing that same story for forty years, more likely an urban legend than true…
    Uh. My old neighbors, the Missippians, bragged about selling it to the Californians and told me what they sold it for. My new neighbors, the Californians, bragged about getting it for a steal. They paid cash.

So I got the information first hand from both parties. Suckers born every minute.

A side story. The house had a pond. The pond came with ducks and geese. Which means their yard came with duck/goose **** all over. The Californians had a dog. One day while the Californians were away their dog killed the geese. So the Californians came home to a bunch of dead geese in their yard.

They were pretty pissed off and got rid of the dog. I joked with them and said at least they could enjoy their pond for awhile without stepping in goose ****. Californians don’t have a sense of humor.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    What should they be selling for?
    Was the roof a three tab that was upgraded to lifetime dimensional shingles? Then it likely will increase the value. I assume you would agree that a bathroom of imported Italian marble with stained glass windows and $15,000 of plumbing fixtures should be taxed more than your bathroom?

Quality of materials is a part of assessment. A like for like roof should not increase value.
    Not going to get into an argument with you over housing costs. Let it just be that my opinion is that some houses are going for more than they are worth. The buyers are going to feel the pain eventually. They buy the place so it's all on them. Free market and all that.

What bothers me is that when someone buys a property for more than it is worth (my opinion) the property taxes go up. No worries there, but then the comps go up and I end up paying more for my place because someone else sold theirs for a bag of money.

Upgrading a roof from 3 tab to dimensionals will add life to the property. But should it add expense like it does? Maybe, maybe not.

There are no lifetime dimensionals that I am aware of. I had I think nine roofs put on last year. All but one was dimensionals. I hope that I am alive when the life of the shingles runs out, but I do not plan to replace them ever again.

As for the bathroom remodel you mention. No I do not think the property taxes should reflect the added expense of the remodel. You spend all the money to make things the way you want them and then spend extra every year because of it? I feel there should be a fine line somewhere between tax increases and tax fraud. I pay what I have to. I do not just let the prices blow up on me. I will complain and get things lowered that I feel are out of bounds.

The system needs work for sure. I am not here with an answer to the problem, just that I feel there is a problem.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not going to get into an argument with you over housing costs. Let it just be that my opinion is that some houses are going for more than they are worth. The buyers are going to feel the pain eventually. They buy the place so it's all on them. Free market and all that.

What bothers me is that when someone buys a property for more than it is worth (my opinion) the property taxes go up. No worries there, but then the comps go up and I end up paying more for my place because someone else sold theirs for a bag of money.
    To me the assignment of value by individuals claiming property is going for more than it is worth is essentially saying people are dumb and markets do not work. I subscribe to free markets, therefore prices go up and prices go down as factors like supply, demand, jobs, and money change. That others may have real world reasons to pay more than you believe the property is worth does not mean they are stupid.

If you can get the legislature to eliminate property taxes I will be onboard, until then the system we have now is far superior to the system we had thirty years ago.

Upgrading a roof from 3 tab to dimensionals will add life to the property. But should it add expense like it does? Maybe, maybe not.

There are no lifetime dimensionals that I am aware of. I had I think nine roofs put on last year. All but one was dimensionals. I hope that I am alive when the life of the shingles runs out, but I do not plan to replace them ever again.
    When dimensional shingles came out they were advertised as 30 year shingles, how I look at them typically even today. Now they are lifetime warranty shingles, although in recent years they have toned down the promotion of the word lifetime in marketing. For example:

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY3​

Owens Corning Duration® Series Shingles are covered under our Limited Lifetime Warranty

As for the bathroom remodel you mention. No I do not think the property taxes should reflect the added expense of the remodel. You spend all the money to make things the way you want them and then spend extra every year because of it? I feel there should be a fine line somewhere between tax increases and tax fraud. I pay what I have to. I do not just let the prices blow up on me. I will complain and get things lowered that I feel are out of bounds.

The system needs work for sure. I am not here with an answer to the problem, just that I feel there is a problem.
    So you really think that if you neighbor does a remodel with the highest of high end fixtures and materials he should pay the same tax as you because the footprint is the same? I do not. Inwill try again. From the road you and I have a 60x100 Morton building, mine is fully insulated, concrete floor, and has an office area, vehicle lifts, etc. You on the other hand are uninsulated with a gravel floor. Our footprint is the same so we pay the same property tax? Seems unfair to you.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Did a quick read on their site about the warranty. I see it as a bunch of nothing where the owner has to pay premium to get said nothing.

In your building idea I have different opinions.

You put an office in it. That changes it. Same as a 2/1 and a 3/2 with the same square footage.

The concrete brings up another tax situation. For some reason I can put asphalt down on my drive and it is just there. I have to seal it after a few years to keep the thing going. If I decided to put concrete down I spend more money up front and get to pay higher on my property taxes. The concrete has a limited life but is much longer without the needed touch ups than the pavement.

We could go back and forth all day on the little things. Like I said, and you seem to agree, the system needs work. Could it be worse? Yes. Could it be better? Yes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    'Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it' 2008 edition

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Uh. My old neighbors, the Missippians, bragged about selling it to the Californians and told me what they sold it for. My new neighbors, the Californians, bragged about getting it for a steal. They paid cash.

So I got the information first hand from both parties. Suckers born every minute.

A side story. The house had a pond. The pond came with ducks and geese. Which means their yard came with duck/goose **** all over. The Californians had a dog. One day while the Californians were away their dog killed the geese. So the Californians came home to a bunch of dead geese in their yard.

They were pretty pissed off and got rid of the dog. I joked with them and said at least they could enjoy their pond for awhile without stepping in goose ****. Californians don’t have a sense of humor.
    Was just talking to my wife about this. It seems I misremembered some stuff. The Californians did not stay there long. They took a haircut on the place. I don’t know if he got transferred again or the culture shock was too much. Anyway it was the people who bought the place from the Californians that had no sense of humor about the ducks.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin’s bipartisan elections commission, for a second time, has unanimously rejected a complaint against fake presidential electors who attempted to cast the state’s ballots for Donald Trump in 2020.

The complaint asked the elections commission to investigate the fake electors’ actions and declare that they broke the law.

Last year, when it rejected the complaint the first time, the commission attached a letter from the Wisconsin Department of Justice that said that Republicans who attempted to cast the state’s 10 electoral college votes for Trump did not break any election laws. The state Justice Department concluded that Republicans were legitimately trying to preserve Trump’s legal standing as courts were deciding if he or Biden won the election.

Now in case anyone is wondering, the head of the Wisconsin DOJ, AG Josh Kaul is a Democrat.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Alan Dershowitz states that the 14th amendment is not for a State Court to decide.
    It is Federal.
    He states, do you REALLY think the post Civil War States would have given the Southern States the ability to decide?

Also, it applied to Senators and Representatives.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And another thing...
    It doesn't take effect.. till Jan 4th.

Colorado's Supremes are ALL Dems.
    And it still only got 4 to 3 when voted on.

I had also read that the jan 4 date is the deadline for the SCOTUS filing, which Trump will probably do. Then it extends for a few more months for that process. Trump will probably be on the ballot on Super Tuesday if the SCOTUS ruling isn’t in by then.

Top Bottom