• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Yeah my assessment went up by $8000. Nothing added or improved. Fortunately, it’s about $50,000 less than what it will actually sell for. And I do plan to sell.

What would happen if we didn’t pay our property taxes? Oh wait, I think that’s what happened to my mom after my dad died. She was in a bad place and didn’t pay the bill. They auctioned it off out from under her.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I can't think of any unless that are actually legitimate fees paid willfully and knowingly for a specific service or product, but then they probably won't be called taxes.

I specifically mentioned property taxes because (1) they were the current topic of discussion, and (2) I find them exceptionally irritating. Plus they are exceptionally bad even among other taxes because you keep paying tax on the same thing on which you've paid the taxes every year since you've "owned" the property.

Yep!!

John224

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    239   0   1
    Apr 8, 2010
    West Indianapolis
    When was federal income tax started?

State and federal inheritance taxes began after 1900, while the states (but not the federal government) began collecting sales taxes in the 1930s. The United States imposed income taxes briefly during the Civil War and the 1890s. In 1913, the 16th Amendment was ratified, permanently legalizing an income tax.

Gotta wonder how we functioned before that!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The 16th Amendment was the beginning of the end. Allowing the Federal Government to directly tax citizens shifted the balance of power too far, in the wrong direction, and permanently.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I can't think of any unless that are actually legitimate fees paid willfully and knowingly for a specific service or product, but then they probably won't be called taxes.

I specifically mentioned property taxes because (1) they were the current topic of discussion, and (2) I find them exceptionally irritating. Plus they are exceptionally bad even among other taxes because you keep paying tax on the same thing on which you've paid the taxes every year since you've "owned" the property.

Right. One never owns real estate anywhere property taxes exist. One is merely a tenant with certain rights and responsibilities as prescribed by the real owner, the state.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The 16th Amendment was the beginning of the end. Allowing the Federal Government to directly tax citizens shifted the balance of power too far, in the wrong direction, and permanently.

No government need be permanent. In fact, we are celebrating that very point tomorrow!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When was federal income tax started?

State and federal inheritance taxes began after 1900, while the states (but not the federal government) began collecting sales taxes in the 1930s. The United States imposed income taxes briefly during the Civil War and the 1890s. In 1913, the 16th Amendment was ratified, permanently legalizing an income tax.

Gotta wonder how we functioned before that!

Ironically that's the same argument gun control zealots use... I'd rather not be stuck with muzzleloaders and those new-fangled Krag-Jørgensen's.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Ironically that's the same argument gun control zealots use... I'd rather not be stuck with muzzleloaders and those new-fangled Krag-Jørgensen's.

So, are you saying you're for government having full access to full-auto assault taxation? If not, I'm not sure what parallel you're trying to draw.

sdekater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    The main problem I have with property taxes in Indiana is that you could take your house and set in down in ten different locations throughout the state and come up with ten widely varying property tax bills; how is that fair? Do away with property taxes, figure out how much money is needed to run the government, and adjust the income tax rates and sales tax rates to provide the revenue. Everybody needs to pay the same rate, with the same deductions, exemptions, and exclusions for all. Utility bills, or a good portion of them, should be sales tax exempt, and vehicles should only be taxed once when bought and sold within the state.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That tax just took effect this month.....you've not yet started to feel that plunder.

I don't believe that is correct. lt went up 10 cents per gallon July 1, 2017 and will go up another penny every July 1st thru 2024. The registration fees when up $15 per vehicle as part of that bill as well. Some vehicles are exempt but most are paying that.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I don't believe that is correct. lt went up 10 cents per gallon July 1, 2017 and will go up another penny every July 1st thru 2024. The registration fees when up $15 per vehicle as part of that bill as well. Some vehicles are exempt but most are paying that.

Thank you for the correction, Mom45.

Apparently I had confused the initial 10 cents with the 10% annual increase in the tax.

My father used to say, "When the government is asked how much is needed, the answer is always 'just one more dollar'".

What a friggin joke.....legalized plunder; nothing more.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Thank you for the correction, Mom45.

Apparently I had confused the initial 10 cents with the 10% annual increase in the tax.

My father used to say, "When the government is asked how much is needed, the answer is always 'just one more dollar'".

What a friggin joke.....legalized plunder; nothing more.

I had to look it up but I was pretty sure we had started paying it last year. I also saw someone on Facebook complaining this morning about the additional penny per year, which I had not known about or missed when I originally read about the tax being passed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The main problem I have with property taxes in Indiana is that you could take your house and set in down in ten different locations throughout the state and come up with ten widely varying property tax bills; how is that fair? Do away with property taxes, figure out how much money is needed to run the government, and adjust the income tax rates and sales tax rates to provide the revenue. Everybody needs to pay the same rate, with the same deductions, exemptions, and exclusions for all. Utility bills, or a good portion of them, should be sales tax exempt, and vehicles should only be taxed once when bought and sold within the state.

Umm... the property value would be different in all those location. Do you expect a home in the country to be valued exactly the same as a duplicate in Carmel?

Location, location, location.

Second, I would prefer if gov't sets the tax rate, then decides what they can do with that money. I don't get to determine my income based on what I want to spend, so why should they?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, are you saying you're for government having full access to full-auto assault taxation? If not, I'm not sure what parallel you're trying to draw.

My point: Saying "it was good enough for then, should it's good enough for now." is a lazy argument.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's Fall Property Tax Rant time again! Woo-hoo!

This is the first year I didn't pay both installments in the spring.

Property taxes are immoral and unethical.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Well, continuing the rant, I called the tax assessor after finding out there is a property tax deduction for those of us over age 65. Unfortunately I found out that I live in a house that has an assessed value higher than allowed to get the deduction. To make that worse, she told me that my assessed value when up another $12,000 this year. Between my retirement pay and social security, the first two months of the year just barely pay property tax.

As I pay my tax twice a year, I think it should be illegal to roll your tax into your monthly mortgage payment. If people were forced to pay their property rent twice a year, they might just realize how much the "dream" of home ownership costs them.

Top Bottom