• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, continuing the rant, I called the tax assessor after finding out there is a property tax deduction for those of us over age 65. Unfortunately I found out that I live in a house that has an assessed value higher than allowed to get the deduction. To make that worse, she told me that my assessed value when up another $12,000 this year. Between my retirement pay and social security, the first two months of the year just barely pay property tax.

As I pay my tax twice a year, I think it should be illegal to roll your tax into your monthly mortgage payment. If people were forced to pay their property rent twice a year, they might just realize how much the "dream" of home ownership costs them.

Mine is rolled into my mortgage payment. I get a statement two times a year telling me what I'm paying. :dunno:

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    It's Fall Property Tax Rant time again! Woo-hoo!

This is the first year I didn't pay both installments in the spring.

Property taxes are immoral and unethical.
    Ugh, thanks for the reminder that I get to pay taxes on the land I already paid to 'own'....

9 days until my Outlook reminder to send off my 'bend over and get hosed' check for the fall installment.

That once again went up from last year's assessment. Can't wait to see next year's when they actually see the improvements and additions that were done.

Sent from my bad arse OnePlus 7 Pro

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Real estate taxes went up in my case too. My fellow citizens keep voting to increase taxes for schools ($165,000,000 in new school taxes in the last 4 years) and seem to think the Superintendent won't come back to the well again.
    Additionally, the assessor's office mysteriously added an out building to my property that doesn't exist. I had to spend about 5 hours finding the appeal process and proper people to deal with. They did admit their mistake (but couldn't explain how it happened) and reduced my "B" tax statement but I'm still mad that they stole 5 hours of my retirement time that should be spent doing only fun things.
    Saved myself a cool $24/year. Hey, it was a matter of principle and I'm not paying them a dime more than I have to.
    Moral of the story is to review your statement and not assume everything is correct. This is the second time that I've had to file an appeal over bad assessor info.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Real estate taxes went up in my case too. My fellow citizens keep voting to increase taxes for schools ($165,000,000 in new school taxes in the last 4 years) and seem to think the Superintendent won't come back to the well again.
    Additionally, the assessor's office mysteriously added an out building to my property that doesn't exist. I had to spend about 5 hours finding the appeal process and proper people to deal with. They did admit their mistake (but couldn't explain how it happened) and reduced my "B" tax statement but I'm still mad that they stole 5 hours of my retirement time that should be spent doing only fun things.
    Saved myself a cool $24/year. Hey, it was a matter of principle and I'm not paying them a dime more than I have to.
    Moral of the story is to review your statement and not assume everything is correct. This is the second time that I've had to file an appeal over bad assessor info.

This is correct, review your statement. You usually only have 45 days in the early spring to challenge this for it to change this years taxes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

We have 2 property's next to each other. The terrorists (see avatar) live there with my daughter and SIL. Every year there is something screwy with the daughters house. I get my spring and fall payment statements and pay the spring installments on both. Then I get a statement (last 2 years) about back taxes and late fees and so on in he fall. More than doubling the original amount. I pay the original amount. Spend 4 to 5 hours of my valuable time on he phone getting this fixed. Yes they made a mistake. No they have no idea why.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Taxes!
    When teaching about how the Federal government couldn't tax incomes directly until the 16th amendment to change the Constitution, I humorously called the the 16th Amendment the "damned 16th Amendment" communicating that is what working people call it. :dunno: Yes, I thought I had to gift of humor! :laugh:

Congress on July 2, 1909, and ratified February 3, 1913, the 16th amendment established Congress's right to impose a Federal income tax.

Near the end of my teaching career, I was paying $1200/mo. for local, state & federal taxes.
    When I started teaching in 1975, I was only earning $500/month.
    I didn't start making $50/yr. until I was 50 yrs. old in year 2000, so it was a shock as my income went up what the local, state & federal taxes were taking from my paycheck.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You all should consider relocating to Pulaski County....the property taxes are one of the least expensive property taxes in Indiana....but...our Local Income Taxes are the most expensive in the state at 3.38%. We need more residents to eventually get this rate down, and there are plenty of activities to do here for those who enjoy the outdoors.

I agree taxes are a pain no matter which type.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Property taxes . . . protection racket . . .

I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference other than the state is a big enough gang to get away with it with impunity, whereas conventional crime organizations go to prison if they get caught and convicted for doing it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I live in Ft. Wayne, and I keep my property taxes low by occasionally squeezing of a couple of rounds late at night, and spray painting random garage doors.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm getting ready to stick it to Hendricks County and the State.

I found out after some investigating that I'm being taxed illegally since 2004 when I moved into my home for a NON permanent deck. Tax law states that if it is secured to the ground or residence it is considered permanent.

My deck sits upon the ground on top of a layer of pea gravel and is not attached to my home, therefore it is non taxable.

At my old home in Mooresville, I was being taxed on my asphalt driveway, asphalt is not considered permanent and can not be taxed on.

Taxes just suck, we are being taxed into oblivion

I'd love to see a true tax paid study on how much we really pay on each dollar earned and spent.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The deduction is probably mis-titled. Its more of a low income deduction than an old age. $25,000 income limit eliminates alot of homeowners.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You all should consider relocating to Pulaski County....the property taxes are one of the least expensive property taxes in Indiana....but...our Local Income Taxes are the most expensive in the state at 3.38%. We need more residents to eventually get this rate down, and there are plenty of activities to do here for those who enjoy the outdoors.

I agree taxes are a pain no matter which type.

Even if 100,000 people moved to Pulaski County next week....that tax rate will never get reduced....likely get increased for "infrastructure" upkeep due to all those nasty people moving in.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mine is rolled into my mortgage payment. I get a statement two times a year telling me what I'm paying. :dunno:

You get a paycheck stub that details how much the good uncle takes from your paycheck too. Write the check. It hurts more.

Top Bottom