• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have 23 rental units. No deductions on any of them. Every year we have at least 2 that the taxes jump more than the others. Every year we fight it and win.

If they would do away with property taxes like I hear some other states have it would make life a lot easier for me for sure.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I have 23 rental units. No deductions on any of them. Every year we have at least 2 that the taxes jump more than the others. Every year we fight it and win.

If they would do away with property taxes like I hear some other states have it would make life a lot easier for me for sure.

I’ve searched on several occasions for any state without a property tax and haven’t yet found one.

They are a wealth tax.

They are neo-feudalist.

They are are the most immoral of all taxes in this country.

They should be repealed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Overall, not the worst problem to have!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I’ve searched on several occasions for any state without a property tax and haven’t yet found one.

Because of your reply I looked as well and found that I have been misinformed. I would have bet money (and lost) that TN had no property taxes. I guess I should have considered the source.

I stand corrected on that part. Thanks for bringing it up. Now I don't feel as bad.... actually I do, but I learned something.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Overall, not the worst problem to have!
    25 was the highest at one time. Good and bad as with everything else.

But regarding property taxes... man it sucks. Nobody wants to hear about the money lost because I don't adjust rents when taxes or insurance goes up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You get a paycheck stub that details how much the good uncle takes from your paycheck too. Write the check. It hurts more.

That just sounds masochistic to me. I understand your point, but I'm under no illusion that it feels good whether in a lump sum or in installments.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That just sounds masochistic to me. I understand your point, but I'm under no illusion that it feels good whether in a lump sum or in installments.

Well, having to write the check might make more people angry enough that legislatures will do something about it. Feel-gooders might think a bit differently if they had to write a check for their share of every social program they want government to support. You want single payer healthcare? How about you have to write a check every month to cover your share of it? You want universal basic income? Write the ***damn check for it. Every month. Go down the list of government expenses you support, tally them up, and write a check for your share of the total. Every. ****ing. Month. That should make you (rhetorically "you") feel extra moral. Maybe have a public wall-o-virtue that has your name scribed in for your contributions.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You get a paycheck stub that details how much the good uncle takes from your paycheck too. Write the check. It hurts more.

I have long said the simple way to true tax reform is to do away with withholding and make everyone save and write a check several times a year. Then an expected consequence would be a big reduction in both the frivolous liberal programs and pie in the sky military programs etc.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have long said the simple way to true tax reform is to do away with withholding and make everyone save and write a check several times a year. Then an expected consequence would be a big reduction in both the frivolous liberal programs and pie in the sky military programs etc.

With a possible sharp spike in bureaucrats and lawyers necessary to collect from the people who have everything but can't save anything. The current system isn't popular but it is efficient

My preferred reform is an extensive field of checkboxes that allow me to control what my tax contribution is or is not spent on

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    With a possible sharp spike in bureaucrats and lawyers necessary to collect from the people who have everything but can't save anything. The current system isn't popular but it is efficient

My preferred reform is an extensive field of checkboxes that allow me to control what my tax contribution is or is not spent on

i’ve talked about my tax plan. It’s got that. But you write out a check for everything you pick.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

I don't know, people generally have to "write the check" at least once a year (twice in Indiana) for property taxes, and they're ubiquitous.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have paid my tribute to the crown so that I may continue to live upon their land. In the spring I plan to pay additional tribute, if it please the crown, to erect another structure on their land...

I give thanks to my benevolent overlords who supply me with police protection, fire protection, and education for my children. All praise be to the almighty gubment!!!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't know, people generally have to "write the check" at least once a year (twice in Indiana) for property taxes, and they're ubiquitous.
    Most folks have the tax paid by the bank, and rolled into their mortgage.

For ALL taxes, I would make them payable only in person, and only in cash. Folks would wake up real quick.

Side note: I write a check twice a year for property taxes, and once a year for income tax. I'd pay cash, but they won't take it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

For ALL taxes, I would make them payable only in person, and only in cash. Folks would wake up real quick.

Side note: I write a check twice a year for property taxes, and once a year for income tax. I'd pay cash, but they won't take it.

We write a check for income tax 4 times a year...sometimes 5. Yeah...that's a wake up call....but most people don't want to be awakened, nor do the want to go to prison, so withholding will continue.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That always seemed to me an odd service to offer.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

It must be really common. When I converted my construction loan to a mortgage earlier this year they wanted me to do that. I just didn't see any benefit. They were shocked that I declined it and asked me two more times before we were done with closing. I know of at least two people that had trouble with the bank not paying their taxes like they were supposed to. They said it was a major headache to get it all straightened out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It must be really common. When I converted my construction loan to a mortgage earlier this year they wanted me to do that. I just didn't see any benefit. They were shocked that I declined it and asked me two more times before we were done with closing. I know of at least two people that had trouble with the bank not paying their taxes like they were supposed to. They said it was a major headache to get it all straightened out.

That was my concern as well, and I refused for that reason.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    Wrote my check this morning. I hurt, but our total bill was actually a little less than last year. Our home was assessed higher this year but other properties were down. I'd be in favor of a flat tax.

Top Bottom