• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That's "after action report" for those who don't know all of BoR's fancy acronyms. ;)

But yeah, as a fellow college student, I'm interested in hearing how this went, too.

FTR, AAR is a well-known TLA, much used hereabouts. IIRC, it's in the FAQ, too. ;)

And if you think I use some weird abbreviations now, you should have seen when I used to work dispatch. One of my medics found this paper on his stuff when he got back to the station one day:

10-21 10-11 2105

I'll save you the trouble of decoding it:

Robert (employee #221)

Call (10-21) your wife (10-11). (She called at)2105 (9:05PM)

Bill (employee #296)

BTW, he never asked me about it... he just came in and picked up the phone. (This was in the days where if you'd ever had a cell number, it went along with striped clothes and a big guy named Bubba who had made you his special friend.... and you didn't talk about it. :eek:)

Blessings,
    Bill

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    At least they are discussing the issue in Lafayette. I would love to have the same opportunity at IU. It's funny how faculty are allowed to carry firearms on campus (although I'm sure many do not know it), but staff members are not allowed.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    At least they are discussing the issue in Lafayette. I would love to have the same opportunity at IU. It's funny how faculty are allowed to carry firearms on campus (although I'm sure many do not know it), but staff members are not allowed.

Wow! I was unaware the faculty at IU could carry? Thats pretty awesome!

If you dont mind could you track down where that is in the rules? I have a group project coming up where we are addressing the issue for a critical thinking presentation and would love to have another universities perspective.

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie

Also the first I have heard this about IU faculty. Please verify or expand on where you heard this information. My search of the IU website finds nothing to support the notion. Rather, there is a university wide ban for all employees.

Firearms and Weapons Prohibitions | Policies for All Staff at Indiana University | UHRS

From IU Bloomington campus police:
    "Firearms are not allowed on campus unless you have received written permission from the Chief of Police. Violation of this University Policy will result in application of any relevant Indiana Statutes as well as University sanctions. For additional information consult IU Human Resources the IU Student Code of Conduct."
    IUPD - F.A.Q. - Frequently Asked Questions

Good Luck getting permission from the Chief!!!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It is probably this part in the staff manual that they are talking about:

An employee is any IU employee, (regardless of employment status) excluding academic employees.

I've read this before but I don't think I would try to carry even as faculty but i've actually never followed up on it. This is also from 2003 and I would have to check to see if it has been updated.

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    Just found the Academic Handbook, that contains policies for both faculty and students. http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/download/acad_handbk_web_08.pdf

Quoting from pp. 59-60:
    Academic personnel, therefore, accept and adopt the provisions of the Indiana University Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct pertaining to personal misconduct on University property (Part II, Section H), which is printed below.
    Personal Misconduct on University Property
    The university may discipline a student for the following acts of personal misconduct which occur on university property, including, but not limited to, academic and administration buildings, residence halls, athletic and recreational facilities, and other university serviced property, such as sororities and fraternities:
    14. Possession of any weapon or potential weapon on any university property contrary to law or university policy; possession or display of any firearm on university property, except in the course of an authorized activity.

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    The new law prohibits employers from infringing on their employees right to carry, so I am a flight instructor for Purdue does that mean that the state now "over rulles" the Purdue rule?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    The new law prohibits employers from infringing on their employees right to carry, so I am a flight instructor for Purdue does that mean that the state now "over rules" the Purdue rule?

Excerpt from the bill:

Chapter 7. Possession of Firearms and Ammunition in Locked Vehicles
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies only to possession of a firearm or
    ammunition by an individual who may possess the firearm or ammunition legally. This chapter does not apply to the possession of a firearm, ammunition, or other device for which an individual must possess a valid federal firearms license issued under 18 U.S.C. 923 to possess the firearm, ammunition, or other device.
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    (2) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;
    (D) a group home;
    (E) an emergency shelter care group home; or
    (F) a child care center;
    in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC 2-12-78, 465 IAC 2-13-77, or 470 IAC 3-4.7-19;
    (3) on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-41-1-21);
    (4) in violation of federal law;
    (5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));

Source

Definition as referenced in the bill...

IC 21-7-13-6
    "Approved postsecondary educational institution"
    Sec. 6. (a) "Approved postsecondary educational institution", for purposes of this title (except section 15 of this chapter, IC 21-12-6, IC 21-12-7, and IC 21-13-1-4) means the following:
    (1) A postsecondary educational institution that operates in Indiana and:
    (A) provides an organized two (2) year or longer program of collegiate grade directly creditable toward a baccalaureate degree;
    (B) is either operated by the state or operated nonprofit; and
    (C) is accredited by a recognized regional accrediting agency or by the commission on proprietary education.
    (2) Ivy Tech Community College.
    (3) A hospital that operates a nursing diploma program that is accredited by the Indiana state board of nursing.
    (4) A postsecondary proprietary educational institution that meets the following requirements:
    (A) Is incorporated in Indiana, or is registered as a foreign corporation doing business in Indiana.
    (B) Is fully accredited by and is in good standing with the commission on proprietary education.
    (C) Is accredited by and is in good standing with a regional or national accrediting agency.
    (D) Offers a course of study that is at least eighteen (18) consecutive months in duration (or an equivalent to be determined by the commission on proprietary education) and that leads to an associate or a baccalaureate degree recognized by the commission on proprietary education.
    (E) Is certified to the state student assistance commission by the commission on proprietary education as meeting the requirements of this subdivision.

(b) "Approved postsecondary educational institution" for purposes of section 15 of this chapter, IC 21-12-6, IC 21-12-7, and IC 21-13-1-4, means the following:
    (1) A state educational institution.
    (2) A nonprofit college or university.
    (3) A postsecondary proprietary educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education.

Source

Sadly, it looks like you're still not covered, yet. :noway:

But... "concealed means concealed." :yesway:

Last edited:

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I also wish I had known about this so I could have attended, I need to start picking up the Exponent.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    BSU was/is a no carry place but I know several who did as there wasn't much protection from being jumped or robbed when you are coming home at 2am from the library. Also, the last year I lived there I had to cut through an area of trees and no lights to get home and with all the BSU land grabbing there were empty houses so no witnesses. I know I felt that I was given a decision of protecting myself and risk legal trouble or not protect myself and risk being hurt or killed. The decision was easy for me but not as easy for others and I don't wish others at college have to make the same decision. Good luck Boilermakers.

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well its has been a pretty good 21st birthday for me, I bout my first gun, a First Gen Walther P99 with a Titanium slide, wore my empty holster on campus and changed someones opinion.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wish i would have known as well. I love the shady guys who are always on the guest computers at hicks between 12-2 am. They are usually talking about their time in prison and crimes they have committed while I'm sitting right next to them.

We need concealed carry at Purdue.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Even if we had to get special permission from the dean I think it should be an option for us to be able to CC at least after dark. I get the purdue alert emails all the time saying the police are after an armed robbery suspect. As far as I know they don't make to many arrests.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    According tot he rifle and pistol club one is able to bring a 22lr of some sort to the armory? Has anyone noticed this? This is clearly on campus? I'm trying to talk to the rifle and pistol club to see if they got faculty support on this or not.

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    According tot he rifle and pistol club one is able to bring a 22lr of some sort to the armory? Has anyone noticed this? This is clearly on campus? I'm trying to talk to the rifle and pistol club to see if they got faculty support on this or not.

Really? That is extremely interesting. I'll be waiting to see what you hear from them as that seems to interfere with Purdue's firearms policy.

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I was on the Navy NROTC Rifle Pistol team and we had a bunch of 22's stored in the armory, and contrary to popular belief we do not have any live M1's, M16A-1's, AK-47's, RPG's, or Hand Grenades. Just some ****ty old target rifles and pistols that jam every 3rd round in a match. I think I only ever made it through one stage of fire with a pistol w/o a malfunction.

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    My nephew was rear ended at a stop light 3 or 4 years ago while picking up his girlfriend at IU. When the IU cop arrived he asked him if he had any weapons (for some reason) and my nephew said yes he had a pistol under the seat but had his permit. The cop took the pistol and said you aren't allowed to have a gun on campus and said you can take it up with the IU police chief.

My nephew followed the cop back to the station where the chief handed the pistol back to my nephew. The few cops around the station were pretty pissed. He explained to them you ask the people to be honest then you confiscate their weapon what are you trying to teach the law abiding people?
    I guess he had seen a few episodes of the Andy Griffith show.

When I was at Purdue in the 80's you could go to the co-rec and shoot single shot 22s. I think it was 20 shots per dollar. The had a nice indoor range.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    Unfortunately we can't shoot .22's at the corec any more. I looked into the rifle and pistol club a little while back. I think if you want to shoot your own .22lr you must get the gun checked by the university or some stupid horsecrap like that. It didn't sound like to great of a deal to me, I'll just go to Linden:rockwoot:

Top Bottom