Question: Why Would You Carry At Church??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    There was a nice story on this shooting last night on WFIE in Evansville. The victim had ties to a large church here. The Evansville pastor had nothing but praise for this young pastor and his commitment to helping others. He said ironically his sermon today was going to be on violence against clergy in the pulpit. Very sad. Who knows if a gun may have saved this man's life. Unfortunately a lot of "God's" people look at any type of violence, even in self defense, as being unholy.
    (I don't mean to imply that that was this victim's stance. I don't know.)

Last edited:

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    This is a real muddy area of the law in Indiana. Is the church physically attached? Is it just on the same campus as the school? Would the church proper be considered not part of a school?

We need some case law to clean up the typical mess that the legislature made on this one. I don't normally make sophomoric comments about government in general but I think it's warranted this time. There needs to be some clear direction from somebody. I don't want to be the test case BUT rumor has it that somebody who wears my clothes conceals almost everywhere.:cool:

The Sanctuary is not physically attached to the school. It is on the same ground and shares it's parking lot with it. The school and church share the same name. I was curious more than anything else.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The Sanctuary is not physically attached to the school. It is on the same ground and shares it's parking lot with it. The school and church share the same name. I was curious more than anything else.
    I've even talked with a state legislator and he agreed the law was fuzzy but felt any try to change it wouldn't fly at this point. "OMG. They want to carry a gun into church!!" We really all need to work to get more people of the wrong party into retirement this next election.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    A lot of people don't realize that Jesus said there would come a time when you would have to sell what you've got and buy a sword (modern term: firearm) Luke 22:36.
    So I have no problem carrying at church and do every Sunday. Churches are soft spots for the deranged or just plain evil people looking to strike out. My Christian duty is to protect my weaker brothers and sisters, in this case those that are unarmed. And I would do it without hesitation in Church if necessary.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I would carry at church for the same reason that I carry at work..... There is absolutely no reason I need a gun at work, but I have to GET TO WORK. And I have to GET HOME FROM WORK. I am not leaving a deadly weapon in the car for every 5 year old girl just to walk away with! my pocket is the most secure place to store it. The same question could be asked of the contents of your wallet, why would someone need I D to go to church?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Some posts have been removed from this thread as offensive. Let's try to make those the last things that have to be removed in here, please?

Thanks all.

:mods:

Blessings,
    Bill

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    Consider that victims could also be severely wounded in a way that creates extreme hardship. Humans (all mammals?) have evolved with an instinct for fight or flight. Equipping oneself to have the best possible advantage seems to be always desirable. By the time someone has reached the age where they can transport themselves to a church, presumably they have realized that divine intervention is not a likely outcome if a violent situation were to occur.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Early in my career a woman walked into Sunday morning services, walked up to the pulpit and shot the pastor dead as he was preaching. This was in a small rural town of about 500 residents. Crazy people are everywhere and anywhere.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I would carry at church because of people like the one in the story and also because there is a large gathering of ppl who would be an easy target... But i cant since my church sits on elementry school property. :(

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I would carry at church because of people like the one in the story and also because there is a large gathering of ppl who would be an easy target... But i cant since my church sits on elementry school property. :(

Not necessarily true, if you read the IC carefully you only need authorization by the school OR the property owner. (And a LTCH)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Early in my career a woman walked into Sunday morning services, walked up to the pulpit and shot the pastor dead as he was preaching. This was in a small rural town of about 500 residents. Crazy people are everywhere and anywhere.

I didn't realize how dangerous a job the clergy was until I read this thread. People walking up and shooting the leaders, uh makes you think, what the hell is this all coming to.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Frankly, in a country of about 313 million people, 100 or so deadly force incidents/yr involving faith based organizations isn't all that many. It's a risk, like lots of things, but it's not all that high.

In perspective, you have a greater chance of dying by fall, drowning, electrocution, and lots of other accidental means.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

At the request of some members, I'm reinstating this thread. Its been cleaned up, and those posts that crossed the line from "carry discussion" to "religious discussion" have been removed.

From this post forward, please keep to the topic at hand. Churches are places that many INGOers travel to and from, and so the topic and discussion of carry is valid.

Keeping in line with INGO's "no religious discussion" rule, please keep comments concerning your religious views to yourself. INGO doesn't mind what religion you subscribe to, but we ask that you don't discuss it here among strangers on the internet.

Thanks!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Frankly, in a country of about 313 million people, 100 or so deadly force incidents/yr involving faith based organizations isn't all that many. It's a risk, like lots of things, but it's not all that high.

In perspective, you have a greater chance of dying by fall, drowning, electrocution, and lots of other accidental means.

Not saying it's probable, but during a period when the average deadly crime rate has been dropping, the rate of incidents at faith based organizations actually multiplied.

Knowing which targets are becoming more favorable gives one the opportunity to either avoid such targets or maintain extra vigilance when one attends.

It certainly discredits the notion that these places are "safe" or even proportionately as safe as they were once widely considered.

:twocents:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom