• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Problem with that, is if you need to fly "right now".
    Funeral, emergency, something like that.
    I have no expectation of that happening in my life. Anyone important to me is close enough that I can drive other than my son, and I don't have a passport so flying to see him is not an option anyway. I have no plans to fly over the big pond. I have anxiety just thinking about it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was allowed to use my LTCH and motel receipt that happened to be in the truck. Had my name and home address on it. It's beyond comprehension that the BMV won't accept an ID they issued.
    That is because your current DL could be (in theory) obtained through illicit means and you arent REALLY who you claim to be. And that is what the new license tries to avoid.

So if they are trying to tighten security and prove somebody is who they say they are, it wouldnt make any sense to use a form of ID that could be improper. Because if they could guarantee the old one was proper, you wouldnt need to get a new one, would you?

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I didn't have a problem when I "upgraded" several years ago. I took every letter, bill, document with my name and address on it. A pile of paper probably 3-4 inches thick. The gal looks at the top document, thumbs through the rest like she's shuffling a deck of cards. Says "you're good to go."

It took all of an extra 30 seconds. Ain't life grand.....

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My daughter told me today she got her new license and used her Lifetime Carry Permit as one ID. She said Thanks Dad.
    I did the same thing when I renewed this year. Birth certificate and LTCH. I had the paper saying what documents were accepted. I had to show it to the branch employee as they asked "What is this?"

Last edited:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I did the same thing when renewed this year. Birth certificate and LTCH. I had the paper saying what documents were accepted. I had to show it to the branch employee as they asked "What is this?"
    Right? Having the future security of our identities in the hands of the lowest common denominator state employees reminded me of this:

1619148832377.png

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ironically, my wife and I just got all the paperwork processed for ours today. She had to get a certified copy of our marriage license due to her name change, but luckily the records office was two doors down from the BMV. Took the records office 45 minutes to dig it up and stamp it, but we went around the corner and got lunch while we waited. The BMV trip only took about 15 minutes from the time we walked in the door. Less than two hours with drive time, and that was only because she needed the certified document. And yes, this was in Indy! (I'm quite shocked, actually.)

Other than a good lunch, the highlight of the day was Otis sleeping at the front door of the BMV:

View attachment 136805
    Which BMV is this?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A few years ago I went to a branch I had:
    Ss card
    Passport
    Drivers lic
    And copy of birth certificate

Was told I didn't have what was needed and sent on my way.

What more do they ****ing want?

You need, I think two? recent documents that show your current address. If your passport or current DL were dated "recently" those would work. Otherwise you need a bank statement or bill or some other documentation that shows your address within the last...idunno, 30 seconds.

My wife had to make 3 trips. I'm pretty sure it was against BMV policy to tell you everything you need at once so you only have to make one trip back. But no. They send you home for one document at a time.

Oops, this proof of address is a day too old. You'll need to come back with something dated prior to this. Okay. Fine. Go home. Get a recent water bill. Come back.

D'oh, your birth certificate is a hospital document. You need a state document. :rolleyes: Okay. Fine. She ordered a real ass birth cert from the state. Waited until it arrived. Then went back.

Oh, I'm sorry, but your birth certificate has a different name than your other documentation. You'll need proof of name change, like a state issued marriage license. WHAT? You couldn't have said that the FIRST time?

I think it's better now. But yeah, back in 2010 when we first got our secure ID it was a cluster****. They seemed to be focused on finding reasons to send people home for more documentation.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was allowed to use my LTCH and motel receipt that happened to be in the truck. Had my name and home address on it. It's beyond comprehension that the BMV won't accept an ID they issued.
    That irony wasn’t wasted on me either.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Had to get mine to get on base for son's graduation. They told me my military ID wasn't good enough because it was out of date. What gives on that? So the fastest was to get the star on my driver's license.

Also who around here issues updated ID'S? Atterbury? Or do I need to go online?
    You can get a new Mil ID at Atterbury or at Stout Field on Holt RD.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That irony wasn’t wasted on me either.
    Except the whole reason we need a RealID version is because you could get a regular version too easy, so there is no proof via the old DL that you REALLY are who you say you are. If the old DL was secure enough to use as ID under the terms of RealID, you wouldnt need a new license. Make sense?

Take this example. 5 years ago I got a fake ID in the name of Kelly I. Avon by forging the few docs required to get that license. If I was allowed to use that license as a piece of ID, I would be able to bypass the tighter security and end up with a more secure ID in your name. The only way to lock me out of using your identity is to prevent me from using the original Fake ID to get a new secure ID.

The whole point of RealID in Indiana is that it requires them to ignore potentially forged documents like the old DL.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Except the whole reason we need a RealID version is because you could get a regular version too easy, so there is no proof via the old DL that you REALLY are who you say you are. If the old DL was secure enough to use as ID under the terms of RealID, you wouldnt need a new license. Make sense?

Take this example. 5 years ago I got a fake ID in the name of Kelly I. Avon by forging the few docs required to get that license. If I was allowed to use that license as a piece of ID, I would be able to bypass the tighter security and end up with a more secure ID in your name. The only way to lock me out of using your identity is to prevent me from using the original Fake ID to get a new secure ID.

The whole point of RealID in Indiana is that it requires them to ignore potentially forged documents like the old DL.
    You can't forge an electric bill? Granted, that's only used to verify that you still probably live at the address you claim, and not to personally identify you.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I'm Kelly Inavon, so I'm good ;)

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I got grief because my birth certificate had "For Official Use Only" stamped on it.
    Really?
    How much more "official use" can you get, than the damn government getting me an ID.. for the government.
    Too true; seems like you, too, have run into one of the non-thinking individuals who seem to inhabit too much of our world.

Oh, and with so few today seeing military or federal government service, "For Official Use Only" is a strange and cryptic designation for them.

Top Bottom