• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Are you saying we are not required to get this "REAL ID" thing now? Well, at least until next year?

I was really looking forward to updating my picture.

H4ZvQEI.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How is it there is anyone left in Indiana who doesn't have a real ID. Indiana started issuing them in 2010. I've had mine since 2013.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    How is it there is anyone left in Indiana who doesn't have a real ID. Indiana started issuing them in 2010. I've had mine since 2013.
    I don't think it was widely publicized back then. I would've gotten mine in 2012 if I'd have known about it. By the time my license came up for renewal in 2018 I did know about it, so did it then.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    At my last renewal, they gave me a bunch of paper describing HOW to the this new ID, but didn't give me the new ID. I haven't had to renew yet, and my current ID works just fine for now. I should probably check the renewal date...

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

You show up at the license bureau to renew. You wait. When it's finally your turn you are asked if you want a "Real ID". You've never heard of this before and find out that you don't have all the paperwork needed for the " real id" so you just go ahead and renew rather than make another trip. If you have a passport you can use that to fly with, so the "real id" isn't needed anyway.

So then it's my wife's turn and she is told our original marriages certificate won't be accepted. No raised seal on it. Had to get a copy with raised seal. So now a copy is better than original?

I like pulling out my passport card. I get told "But this isn't a state ID." It's amazing the confusion it causes when you use a passport card instead of your DL as a picture ID.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Have you seen the new version of these? They look like they were left in a pair of pants and went through the washing machine a few too many times.

5d0ba9ff06613.image.jpg

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Last summer I got my motorcycle endorsement after inheriting a motorcycle when the father-in-law passed away. I decided to get my Real ID at the same time. So, I dutifully gathered up all my documents and reported to the license branch.

They initially refused to accept my US Department of State "Consular Report of Birth Abroad," telling me I needed to bring my "real" birth certificate. The branch manager told me the same thing. Fortunately, I had printed the list from the website that had THAT EXACT Dept. of State form number on it. They finally accepted that this was an acceptable identity document.

At the time I was working pretty regularly with the legal counsel for the BMV, and that was going to be my next phone call. However, that's not an option available to most people.

Just a short rant about how "easy" it is to get everything together.

When Mrs. MarkC and I fly, we fly on DOD retiree ID cards, so I had a workaround if I couldn't get a Real ID. But, it shouldn't be this hard.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I don't know that it's the "easy" things....it's the "10 years" thing.

Are you thinking of the retention requirements?

The Act requires States to employ technology to capture digital images of identity sourcedocuments so that the images can be retained in electronic storage in a transferable format.Assuming you must capture digital images of documents accepted for proof of full legal name,date of birth, social security number, and lawful presence, andAssuming they must be retained in a transferable electronic storage format, and retained for aminimum of ten years or the duration of a renewed REAL ID, whichever is longer.

[From a National Conference on State Legislatures document.]

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    When we moved from Michigan to Indiana in 2010 ... I had a Michigan Real ID / Passport license ... it had the same RFID chip that Official passport cards had ... valid for Land Crossings ( Detroit to Windsor ) ... Indiana would NOT accept that - and I had to bring all the original documents - including divorce / marriage documents to get the NON-Passport chip Indiana Real ID

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    If you're not planning on entering a military base or other federal installation, or flying commercially, then Real ID is probably not a big deal.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if once most people have a Real ID, it won't be required for more things.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I still think it is ridiculous that they want documents dating back to the beginning of time. My parents have been married for 65 years and mom had to get a certified copy of her marriage license. I was divorced and remarried...but don't need my divorce decree or first marriage license because I legally took my maiden name back in the divorce. The BMV had copies of all these documents every time my name changed on my ID or on my SS card...why do they need it again??? I asked them about the documents from marriage number 1 and was told that I would need them as my name on the second marriage license matches my birth certificate. I asked about the trail of name changes...they didn't care. I am betting that if I were to go in and ask to do the real ID without those documents, someone else would want them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My license wasn't/isn't due to expire until 2021 so I wasn't going to update to RealID until I got closer to expiration date. So when I heard I have to get it by this fall, I went to the BMV.

I was there for 15 minutes and it was all completed.

Alas, this new one still expires in 2021.:( Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

First time I heard anything about it was 2 years ago when my license was expiring. Went to round up all of my documents to get it (months in advance) and figured out that I'd somehow lost my birth certificate (I'm in the camp of my parents still have it, somewhere). I live Elkhart Co and was born in Allen Co so it wasn't easy for me to just pop over to whatever entity to get a reprint. So I had to order mine from the state via Indy. It took several months to show up. So... I renewed under what I believe is the final grace period because I didn't have any other choice.

Then I figured out that it prevents me from getting on a plane or going into a federal building so I'm looking at both of those as strong wins. I'll carry my commercial flight ban card as long as the state will let me. I'm not sure that I've ever been in a federal building, so... Another win, IMO.

That's why I don't have one. TLDR, the state advertised it poorly, I lost documents, it took the state eons to replace those documents, and I don't want it anyhow.

Top Bottom