• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If your license is not due to expire until after this goes into effect, you can take the documents in and upgrade your license to the Real ID for $9.

I chose not to get it because our BMV is only open three days a week. My license was expiring the next day when they were closed, and it was 4 p.m. I did not want to drive home and have to try to find my marriage license (If I even have a copy from the courthouse since the church one isn't good enough) and make it back there before they closed.

They did not make me sign anything or do anything special...just renewed my license and told me if I wished to upgrade before it expires, it will be a $9 fee.

And...if you are using a passport as your ID, make sure it is not expired. My mom's was expired by a month and that was not good enough to verify her last name that she has had since 1955.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I was hoping the drivers license I got in 2016 had the gold star, but it doesn’t. Guess I’ll have to update within the next couple years. My current DL doesn’t expire until 2021

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Mom had to get a copy of her marriage certificate from Italy and divorce papers from Texas and the marriage papers translated for a DL.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've had my gold star for a long time but want to add my veteran status on my real i.d. I suppose they will want to see my real gunshot wounds, surgical scars and my real PTSD too. Bully for them if they can hack it thru my epilogue and ode to the U. S. Military.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Interestingly I was asked to provide a copy of my social security card and my birth certificate.

I received my social security card in 1964 ( yeah I’m that old ). I still have the original. I was informed it wasn’t satisfactory and had to apply for a new one from the feds.

Similarly, I had my original birth certificate issued by the hospital where I was born with Doctor’s wet signature and my baby footprints and all. Also was told that wasn’t sufficient and I had to apply for a copy from the county clerk’s office. Cost me $10 each for 2 copies.

Can’t wait to have to produce the items listed for the Real ID.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    All of the documents have to be the official government documents....birth certificate from the health department, marriage license or court order if the last name is different than what was on the birth certificate has to be from the clerk of the court and not the hospital document.

I really have to wonder what people will do if their courthouse has had a fire where those documents have been destroyed. I know our local courthouse had something like that years ago. My mom had to get her marriage license from 1955 and I know there are others who are at least her age or older who have been told they HAVE to do this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This reminds me that my license expires in less than a month! I have zero interest in "real id." Won't be flying and won't be going to any federal facilities unless it's against my will (bring strong restraints).

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I received my social security card in 1964 ( yeah I’m that old ). I still have the original. I was informed it wasn’t satisfactory and had to apply for a new one from the feds.

My original card is also from the early 60's. Clerk looked at it, frowned and said I needed a new one. The new one looks like a great template to be photo-shopped.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    My original card is also from the early 60's. Clerk looked at it, frowned and said I needed a new one. The new one looks like a great template to be photo-shopped.

Interestingly I was asked to provide a copy of my social security card and my birth certificate.

I have my government issued social security card in my wallet and have for years with no issues. Now it will be no good because it is aged and I need a newer looking one? That is the equivalent of not accepting an older $100 bill because it is not one of the newer printed $100 bills. :facepalm:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    All of the documents have to be the official government documents....birth certificate from the health department, marriage license or court order if the last name is different than what was on the birth certificate has to be from the clerk of the court and not the hospital document.

For those whining how onerous it is to show up with documents to prove your Identity, Lawful Status, SSN and Indiana Residency how do you feel about Voter ID Laws? Aren't three of those four items what your expectation is for someone to vote? That is important to me that voters are eligible.

So suck it up buttercup and dig around the house and gather up your documents. Don't whine about the document you don't have and instead take one you do. Old SS card, instead take a W2. Take your LTCH. Grab a couple extra documents in a category in case one doesn't meet the scrutiny at the BMV. You all sound as grumpy as my dad.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/BMV_Documentation_List.pdf

For those who say they will never need it don't be so sure. While you may never plan to fly you never know when a family emergency or work requirement may pop up. Your kid/grandkids goes to Florida and has an accident and needs you, may be dying. Do you want to be screwing around trying to get on a plane because you chose to be a curmudgeon and didn't want to be inconvenienced at the BMV?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Google "the mark of the beast" and you will find an answer.
    Its baby steps to get YOUR population to accept the slaughter house. ;)

didn't that ship sail with the social security number, biometric face scan and fingerprinting for cc license? Ha short of state issued tattoos or rfid I'm not sure how else you can get marked

Also the beast isn't Satan its the leviathan, both in the bible but one is a real danger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So when they finally start making immigrants get a license how will they get this idiocy completed or will they get a pass. As always. Bravo Sierra. Totally.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

Did the BMV say why the original SS card wasn't acceptable? I'm applying for SS soon so I might get a new card while I'm at it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So when they finally start making immigrants get a license how will they get this idiocy completed or will they get a pass. As always. Bravo Sierra. Totally.

This was/is the part of the point of why this law occured at the federal level. States like CA and IL do issue drivers license and state ids to illegales who then in turn use that to get home loan, car insurance, travel, etc..

What this law IF feds stick to the deadline and NOT pushback like they have will do is in effect restrict those illegals from travel. So basically they will remain on those states.

A sinister means says you can take this further and do cross state border checks but that is furher down the road. The next "check point" will be trains. TSA is already being seen at train hubs. In chicago they are seen at union station, on metra train plateforms, etc.. baby steps.. always baby steps...

And as someone else already pointed out. Real id is backup for voter id. :)

Top Bottom