• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    For those whining how onerous it is to show up with documents to prove your Identity, Lawful Status, SSN and Indiana Residency how do you feel about Voter ID Laws? Aren't three of those four items what your expectation is for someone to vote? That is important to me that voters are eligible.

So suck it up buttercup and dig around the house and gather up your documents. Don't whine about the document you don't have and instead take one you do. Old SS card, instead take a W2. Take your LTCH. Grab a couple extra documents in a category in case one doesn't meet the scrutiny at the BMV. You all sound as grumpy as my dad.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/BMV_Documentation_List.pdf

For those who say they will never need it don't be so sure. While you may never plan to fly you never know when a family emergency or work requirement may pop up. Your kid/grandkids goes to Florida and has an accident and needs you, may be dying. Do you want to be screwing around trying to get on a plane because you chose to be a curmudgeon and didn't want to be inconvenienced at the BMV?

It does make me grumpy. I already provided the documents they want in order to get my name changed on my social security card. Shouldn't they trust that another government agency did their job and verified my info before they changed my name on that document? I don't have any reason to fly. If someone dies out of town, I have no need to fly to attend any services. I can drive or I will miss the service. If my son dies while overseas, someone can send his remains home and I'll gladly pay for that.

This has nothing to do with voting. Real ID is not required to vote. It would be nice if that was part of the reason for doing this, but it has not been stated that it is and nothing I have read shows it is going to be needed to vote. I have worked the polls and have seen how inefficiently the poll books are updated. There are tons of dead people listed, and they won't remove them unless a family member comes in and fills out forms to do so. That doesn't happen so they remain on the list until they eventually purge them from the system after several years. I have had people listed in the poll book with more than one last name...same person at the same address. Don't get me started on voting....our political system is a mess.

When I am due to renew in five or six years, I might do it but I have no plans to do it before then unless a situation would arise where I would need to fly. I think it is completely ridiculous that they have our elderly in a frenzy that they HAVE to do this when they truly have no need to do it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    And just one more thought....you do realize that ANYONE can walk into the clerk's office or health department (or call over the phone) and obtain a copy of your marriage license, birth certificate, death certificate, etc., right? It is public record so anyone can get it. So....possession of that document does not verify who you are.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And just one more thought....you do realize that ANYONE can walk into the clerk's office or health department (or call over the phone) and obtain a copy of your marriage license, birth certificate, death certificate, etc., right? It is public record so anyone can get it. So....possession of that document does not verify who you are.

For passports, I assume the same here, you have to have the original.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    For passports, I assume the same here, you have to have the original.

I have not obtained a passport, but I assume you need a photo ID to get one. For the Real ID, the only photo ID you have (unless you are using a passport for one of your items) is the driver's license you are obtaining or renewing. All of those other documents are something that anyone could get...so if you have a stolen social security card and have stolen someone's identity, you could provide things from the list for every category and get a REAL ID. It doesn't prove you are who you claim to be.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have not obtained a passport, but I assume you need a photo ID to get one. For the Real ID, the only photo ID you have (unless you are using a passport for one of your items) is the driver's license you are obtaining or renewing. All of those other documents are something that anyone could get...so if you have a stolen social security card and have stolen someone's identity, you could provide things from the list for every category and get a REAL ID. It doesn't prove you are who you claim to be.

Ah but now you are entering into a felony level crime area.
    If i take all your documents and pass myself off as you to get a real id i have committed a felony now, in most states, vs if i just use your ssn to work under and file my taxes with an itin number. While working under someone else ssn is a crime its not a felony and the irs could care less.

But moving back to felony and now the person doing it is well even more bad. And while trump did not start realid you can bet that an illegal with a fake id, ie felon, is going to be a higher priority then the illegal using just your ssn to work.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    It does make me grumpy. I already provided the documents they want in order to get my name changed on my social security card. Shouldn't they trust that another government agency did their job and verified my info before they changed my name on that document?

This, I have already provided the documents to prove my name changes in the past. I was married the first time in 1985, divorced in 1999. Guess what, I didn't have that marriage license, well, because who saves an old marriage license for a marriage you're not even in anymore?! When I got remarried in 2001, I took that proof for my new name for the new SS Card, the new drivers license, just as I did in 1985 when I got married the first time. AND to make it just a little more difficult, I don't live in the same county as my first marriage anymore.
    I did acquire all my documents, I have my "REAL ID" :rolleyes:. I guess I am who I say I am, legally now.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I worked with someone who had her wallet/checkbook stolen in Chicago while eating at a restaurant...had her purse hanging on the back of her chair and someone lifted it. By the next morning, they had a driver's license issued in her name with their address using the documents she had in that wallet. They were writing checks and using credit cards before she discovered it was missing and got things cancelled. When the businesses where the checks were written were contacted by the police, the DL# was recorded on those checks. A check of the Illinois DMV/BMV was run, the license came up and they had a photo of the person. I don't believer they ever caught the person, but it was obvious it was not my coworker who had written the checks and she was able to dispute the charges with the bank.

I don't think people who participate in identity theft care much about whether or not they are committing a felony.

It is also a good reminder to not carry your Social Security Card in your wallet and to keep your various identity documents in different areas of your purse so if just your wallet or checkbook is stolen, they do not have everything they need to become you. I also NEVER hang my purse on the back of my chair while dining out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I recall a similar list when I got my license. I have already proven to them once who I am. Why again? And more importantly, why did they stop requiring all that crap in the first place?

The only bright side is now that Im a grown adult, I have amassed many more options that I can choose from to make it easier. I recall looking at the list at 16 thinking "I cant do this! I dont have these things!". Of course I did have just enough...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They haven't stopped requiring the birth certificate, etc. We have shown these documents all along and they have made copies for their files, etc. That is why it is making me so cranky!!! :laugh:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Renewed my DL today.

The agent at the BMV tried to give me the Real ID sales pitch, but I told her I didn't need or want it. When she asked me if I was ever going to go any of the example places or do any of the example things, I told her that it would only happen against my will. So I had to sign a document that stated she had presented all the information, but I still declined.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I renewed mine online last night. It told me, multiple times, that I wasn't getting a real id, but I still got it renewed.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Renewed my DL today.

The agent at the BMV tried to give me the Real ID sales pitch, but I told her I didn't need or want it. When she asked me if I was ever going to go any of the example places or do any of the example things, I told her that it would only happen against me will. So I had to sign a document that stated she had presented all the information, but I still declined.

See folks it is possible.
    But dont worry we soon wont hear from rhino as the black van will be taking him away. :)

Top Bottom