• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    See folks it is possible.
    But dont worry we soon wont hear from rhino as the black van will be taking him away. :)

That sounds too rapey for my liking! I say, no no no! STRANGER DANGER! BAD TOUCH! YOU'RE NOT MY PARENTS! I don't want to help you find your lost puppy! STRANGER DANGER!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Oh they are going to pull up in a GLOCK showcase van and tell you to come check out the latest and greatest GLOCKS with a chance to win a prize. You being a domestic terrorist gun loving patriot will surely fall for it and BAM! THEY GOT YOU. :)

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Some time back,I went to fly,but my license were to expire while I was to be gone.I renued them,and they took the older one,and gave me the paper till the new one came in the mail.Before I flew,I checked with the airline (Southwest),and they told me the paper was useless.I had to kiss some DMV butt to get my old one back which was still valid for 3 more weeks.The new one did not arrive till I had already left.I had the clearance already on mine so I had no problem.From this point on," I lost it" when it is time to renue.That is what I get for jack jack jacking around.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Also,went to get my mother's gold star and found out her first name on her birth cert.was not how she,her parents,and every legal doc.has it spelled her whole life.The DMV SAID IT MUST CORRECTED.I must now start jumping thru hoops.I must figure out how to start.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh they are going to pull up in a GLOCK showcase van and tell you to come check out the latest and greatest GLOCKS with a chance to win a prize. You being a domestic terrorist gun loving patriot will surely fall for it and BAM! THEY GOT YOU. :)

Those . . . BASTARDS!

I'll be in the van with you, Rhino, so I'll protect you!!

Awesome!

Will there be . . . treats, perhaps?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Take 1 document to verify your IDENTITY:
    *U.S. Birth Certificate
    *Unexpired U.S. passport
    ~~

Do not have.
    ~~
    Take 1 document to verify your LAWFUL STATUS:
    *U.S. Birth Certificate
    *Unexpired U.S. passport
    ~~

Do not have.

~~
    Take 1 document to verify your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
    *Social Security card or W-2 form
    *Pre-Printed pay stub (containing name & ss#)
    ~~

Have the former somewhere. Do not receive the latter.

~~
    Take 2 documents to verify INDIANA RESIDENCY:
    *W-2 Form or Bank Statement
    *Utility, Credit Card, or Hospital Bill
    *Pre-Printed Pay Stub (containing name and residential address)
    ~~

Okay, bank statement I have.

I let them struggle for about 30 minutes on what to do, just because they're bureaucrats and deserve it.

After they finally asked the right questions, I produced my naturalization certifcate and a 1099.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My wife and I have our official-county stamped birth certificates, but my wife had to have an official-county stamped marriage license from Elkhart County because of the name change. Cost of marriage certificate official copy? $2.00. Cost to have it mailed 3 counties over? $3.00.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When I first moved to Indiana Real ID was just starting. Their web site insufficiently explained the requirements. It was a real pain in the ass. I was turned away once, and wife was turned away twice, for things that should have been sufficiently explained on the web site. Each time we were turned away, we asked, is that all? Are there any other problems with our documentation? Each time they turned us away, they said, no, we just need this one thing.

I don't know if the same is still true, but I'll share my experience in case it can save you some trips. Because each clerk we talked to had her head fully up her ass when we had to go through this.

• Make sure your birth certificate has a raised seal. They would not accept mine because it was as old as me. It was the original that my mother got when I was born. That wasn't good enough. I had to pay something like $50 to get a duplicate with raised seal from my state of birth. Maybe it was just the clerk being a *****. But at least call if there's a question that they might not accept it.
    • Make sure that if the name on your proof of address doesn't exactly match your birth certificate, that it matches one of the acceptable aliases. For example, if your name is Richard, they'd probably accept "Rich" or maybe "Dick". Call to find out before wasting your time.
    • If the last name on your documentation doesn't match your birth certificate, make sure you bring proof of the change in name, such as a marriage license. Keep in mind, the first name on the marriage license must also match what's on the birth certificate or one of the accepted aliases.

These were the reasons we were turned away. None of these problems were explained on the website. Hopefully they've improved. It would have saved us 3 extra trips (22 miles each round trip). Would also have saved us subsequent trips if they'd have told us, when we asked, is this all that's wrong with our documentation? All three times they said, yes, that's all you need.

But, the nice thing about real ID, I was able to renew my DL online. You can renew online every other year if your address doesn't change.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I renewed my non real (fake?) ID online...

Well. I guess I assumed that it is the "Realness" of the ID that enabled doing it online. Whatever.

Back when I got mine I had just moved back here. They really didn't act like you had a choice. I didn't know until I read this thread that there still was a choice.

I think I'd rather have foregone the BS "REAL" experience. It was bad enough that they made me have to take a ****ing test. You know, to test my knowledge of exactly how many months is the suspension of license for DUI. But then to get turned away for simple technicalities that they never explained beforehand. I really thought whoever was running that show was a real ****. It's like they must be high-fiving each other every time they could send someone away for technical reasons.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    On my social security card it pretty clearly states that it is not to be used for ID. I didn't need it for my passport and I'm not giving it to the dmv either. Since I have a valid passport I can fly, get on base and do all the other things the stupid real id is supposed to be for but I can't get a new indiana drivers license.....oh well. The real id thing is a waste because it doesn't do the things its supposed to....insure that voters are citizens.

Poor attitude frank

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I first moved to Indiana Real ID was just starting. Their web site insufficiently explained the requirements. It was a real pain in the ass. I was turned away once, and wife was turned away twice, for things that should have been sufficiently explained on the web site. Each time we were turned away, we asked, is that all? Are there any other problems with our documentation? Each time they turned us away, they said, no, we just need this one thing.

I don't know if the same is still true, but I'll share my experience in case it can save you some trips. Because each clerk we talked to had her head fully up her ass when we had to go through this.

• Make sure your birth certificate has a raised seal. They would not accept mine because it was as old as me. It was the original that my mother got when I was born. That wasn't good enough. I had to pay something like $50 to get a duplicate with raised seal from my state of birth. Maybe it was just the clerk being a *****. But at least call if there's a question that they might not accept it.
    • Make sure that if the name on your proof of address doesn't exactly match your birth certificate, that it matches one of the acceptable aliases. For example, if your name is Richard, they'd probably accept "Rich" or maybe "Dick". Call to find out before wasting your time.
    • If the last name on your documentation doesn't match your birth certificate, make sure you bring proof of the change in name, such as a marriage license. Keep in mind, the first name on the marriage license must also match what's on the birth certificate or one of the accepted aliases.

These were the reasons we were turned away. None of these problems were explained on the website. Hopefully they've improved. It would have saved us 3 extra trips (22 miles each round trip). Would also have saved us subsequent trips if they'd have told us, when we asked, is this all that's wrong with our documentation? All three times they said, yes, that's all you need.

But, the nice thing about real ID, I was able to renew my DL online. You can renew online every other year if your address doesn't change.
    Wait, are the RealID ones only good for 2 years instead of 7 now? Mine was issued in 2011 and I'm coming up for renewal in December of this year. I think I'm cool on documentation, but I have to find my "real" duplicate (non-original from the hospital) birth certificate. I'm pretty sure I have it. I have a scanned copy on my computer but if they want the raised seal, that won't cut it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    On my social security card it pretty clearly states that it is not to be used for ID. I didn't need it for my passport and I'm not giving it to the dmv either. Since I have a valid passport I can fly, get on base and do all the other things the stupid real id is supposed to be for but I can't get a new indiana drivers license.....oh well. The real id thing is a waste because it doesn't do the things its supposed to....insure that voters are citizens.

Poor attitude frank

Technically, your SS card isn't used in this instance for ID. It's used for proof of your SSN. Which, by the way, ID's you.

I told you. They're all ****s.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wait, are the RealID ones only good for 2 years instead of 7 now? Mine was issued in 2011 and I'm coming up for renewal in December of this year. I think I'm cool on documentation, but I have to find my "real" duplicate (non-original from the hospital) birth certificate. I'm pretty sure I have it. I have a scanned copy on my computer but if they want the raised seal, that won't cut it.

Real ID is good for 7 years. I did mine in 2010. I renewed online in 2017. For online renewal I didn't have to provide documentation. I just had to answer questions to verify identity or something like that.

boljr01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Just renewed my DL and did NOT do the RealID after doing some reading on it. Here's what concerned me:

It’s a national identity system. The standardized national driver’s licenses created by Real ID would become a key part of a system of identity papers, databases, status and identity checks and access control points – an “internal passport” that will increasingly be used to track and control individuals’ movements and activities.
    • Increased security and ID-theft risks. The creation of a single interlinked database as well as the requirement that each DMV store copies of every birth certificate and other documents presented to it will create a one-stop shop for identity thieves.
    • Will be exploited by the private sector to invade privacy. Real ID would make it easy for anybody in private industry to snap up the data on these IDs. Already, bars often swipe licenses to collect personal data on customers – but that will prove to be just the tip of the iceberg as every convenience store learns to grab that data and sell it to data companies for a dime.
    • Will expand over time. The Real ID database will inevitably, over time, become the repository for more and more data on individuals, and will be drawn on for an ever-wider set of purposes. Its standardized machine-readable interface will drive its integration into an ever-growing network of identity checks and access control points – each of which will create new data trails that will in turn be linked to that central database or its private-sector shadow equivalent.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm so worried that I can't fly on a commercial aircraft or enter a secure federal facility now!

No, not really.

Top Bottom