• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    I want to start reloading but have no idea where to start. I am just doing USPSA now ( 9mm ) but plan on 3Gun when i can afford all of the gear.
    Should I just get a dillion square deal and start that way? I had one person tell me that when i get one press set up to do pistol, leave it that way, and use separate press to load 223 for the AR.

What do you guys think?

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    If you are trying to save money, I'd get a 550 with extra dies for whatever calibers you want to reload for. It's a much more versatile machine.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Keep in mind that the Square Deal uses proprietary dies.

and IIRC it can't do rifle.

get a 550 or 650.

you don't need two presses, it just saves a couple minutes of change over. If you have $ burning a hole in your pocket, you could get two. Some do one for large primer and one for small primer stuff, some do one for whatever they load the most and the other for other stuff, etc.

I do it all on a 550.

If I could afford two, I'd add a 650 to use for 9mm, .223, .38super (stuff I shoot in high volume, all small primer), and keep my 550 for misc stuff like .45, .308, etc (stuff I don't load as much, mostly large primer).

-rvb

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Basically what RVB said. I have a 650, but would suggest either a 550/650. I like some of the extras on the 650 like auto indexing, room for a powder check die etc. The conversion accessories are more expensive on the 650 though.

Get a 550 or 650, add a case feeder eventually and get some caliber conversions. Like RVB said you don't need two presses but I'm getting busy/lazy enough I'm starting to think about another 650.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have both the 550 and 650, although it would have been cheaper just to set up the 650 with extra tool heads rather than buying a 550. I've got full tool heads to plug in on both presses. The 650 does 98% of my reloading for .40, .45 and now 9mm, as soon as I set it up. But the 550 will do just fine until you get to one of those 1500 round afternoons.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Got your reloading bench figured out?
    I use a 550 & stand up, this gives you a really nice view of the powder charge in every case at two positions.
    Years ago I blew up a good 357 and more recently watched another person fire a double charge in his 45, so I'm squeamish about double charges.

If you are going to sit down I think the 650 allows for a powder check station which may be a strong point in its favor??

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I'm in the same boat, and I think I'm gonna end up with a 550 this summer. I need to look into the other press manufactures, but I'm definitely leaning towards Dillon. I did find this guide - Dillon Precision Reloading Press Reviews - which pretty much led me to a 550. Not being able to load rifle pretty much cancels out the Square Deal for me.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i too would skip the SDB if you think you want to load rifle rounds. 550 is a solid press and i load both 223 and various pistol calibers on it.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    You guys are awesome! Thanks!
    550 it is!
    Once i pick one up, i'm sure I will be posting again asking what preferences you all have for powders, primers, ect....so be prepared for that mess too.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    I'm in the same boat, and I think I'm gonna end up with a 550 this summer. I need to look into the other press manufactures, but I'm definitely leaning towards Dillon. I did find this guide - Dillon Precision Reloading Press Reviews - which pretty much led me to a 550. Not being able to load rifle pretty much cancels out the Square Deal for me.
    Great info. I am leaning towards a 650 now. I think that I will want to make that whole process as easy as possible so that i always have good quality ammo, and to not let it turn into a chore to do. That way I can practice until the cows come home and not worry about how much ammo i have!

Now....do i hide this from the wife :ingo:

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Start researching and doing your homework now. I probably looked at different peoples presses, read load manuals and chatted with experienced reloaders for a year before I got mine and started. I have not taken it but Profires class is probably worthwhile. That way when you get all your gear you are ready to go... Safely

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Start researching and doing your homework now. I probably looked at different peoples presses, read load manuals and chatted with experienced reloaders for a year before I got mine and started. I have not taken it but Profires class is probably worthwhile. That way when you get all your gear you are ready to go... Safely
    Good idea. I have a friend that is going to let me use his Dillon press to load my 9 mm for now. I figure that will get me started and give me some experience to make a purchase from. A class is never a bad idea though, I will defiantly look into that for sure.
    I wonder about the load configurations though. Example: what is the goal as far as how hot the round is? Do you want just enough to let the gun cycle and still make the power factor (uspsa)? Or is there some other consideration that I am not thinking of?

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Reliability, accuracy, power factor. I've never really had problems with accuracy being horrible, but reliability and getting the right power factor is mostly trial and error. A chronograph will become a must. When I started I had already researched what a lot of the common production load recipes were, so I started with those powders/ bullet weights. From there I started at min charge and worked my way up until I was content.

Getting the components you want can become a whole other hobby/job.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Make sure you buy a blue Press. Dillon's NO BS Warranty and great customer service is what sold me. I don't load rifle so I went with a Square Deal B. I actually have 2 Square Deal B presses now. One press is dedicated to 45acp since I shoot single stack 90% of the time. My other press has 38sp/357mag, 9mm, 10mm/40cal, 44sp/44mag conversions. I was going to buy a 550 but hated that it didn't auto index. The 650 was a little over kill for me. Call the guys at Profire Arms. Andrew usually has Dillon Presses and Conversion Kits in stock.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    oOn the 550/650 debate with regard to case feeders: The 550 case feeder will no work with rifles while the 650 will. jus food for thought. I have a casefeeder on my 550 and love it! Rifle brass gets sized and trimmed seperaely then i hadn prime them in batches and load them straight into station 2 (powder) on my 550 so the feeder issue is a moot point for me.

Top Bottom