• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Thanks for the reply. Based on all the reading I have been doing, some have said the 650 may not be the best choice for someone new to reloading and the 550 is better start with due to its simplicity. While I can see how starting with a 550 makes sense, I just feel certain 6 months down the road I would want to upgrade to a 650 and regret the cash I layed out for the 550. I don't know, I cannot decide what I want to do.

I was torn between the 550 and 650. The 550 is a little cheaper and faster to change over (switch calibers). The 650 really cranks out the ammo and I like the powder alarm and auto index that reduces my chances of a double charge. I don't think you will seriously regret either one because they are both fine pieces of equipment. I started with a 650 and had no issues.

Eventually you might find yourself looking for a single stage as well. People use them for small runs while developing a load, to deprime offline before wet tumbling and other uses. The single stage are cheap and handy to have around.

If you aren't sure you want to reload buy a single stage (e.g. Rockchucker) and try it out. You will still find uses for it after you upgrade to a 550/650. If you are sure you want to reload then don't worry about starting on a 550 or 650, it isn't that tough.

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    I was torn between the 550 and 650. The 550 is a little cheaper and faster to change over (switch calibers). The 650 really cranks out the ammo and I like the powder alarm and auto index that reduces my chances of a double charge. I don't think you will seriously regret either one because they are both fine pieces of equipment. I started with a 650 and had no issues.

Eventually you might find yourself looking for a single stage as well. People use them for small runs while developing a load, to deprime offline before wet tumbling and other uses. The single stage are cheap and handy to have around.

If you aren't sure you want to reload buy a single stage (e.g. Rockchucker) and try it out. You will still find uses for it after you upgrade to a 550/650. If you are sure you want to reload then don't worry about starting on a 550 or 650, it isn't that tough.

Thanks again for the reply. I wish I had not lost contact with a guy I knew in Sellersburg. He used to reload (probably still does). Otherwise, I would ask him if I could join him the next time he reloads and ask questions.

I know on Brian Enos's site he says one of the negatives of the 550 is that to prime the casing you have to push the lever. Why is this a negative? Just the inconvenience of it?

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    It takes time. It's not hard to do and you get in a good rhythm but it's considerably slower than a 650. I don't want to spend any more time than I have to doing it. It's a chore for me.

Top Bottom