• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    I think you all just want me to blow a wad of cash!!!
    Now I just have to figure out how to hide a 650 from the wife.......Maybe she will believe that it is "saving us money"

BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    Buy a 650 with case feeder and don't look back..
    or 2!!!

I went without a case feeder on my first one for 6 months. Couldn't take it after that. The biggest improvement I have done to the 650 is put a spent primer tube on it and they fall in a coffee can. Haven't emptied the primer can in 2 or 3 years.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Sporky if you want help or a visual on a 550 I have mine and would be happy to go over it with you. It is the right way to go for sure. Let me know when you want the basic beginners look at one hands on.

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    Am I correct that the accessories (dies and I think it is called the plate?) for .38 special and the .357 magnum are the same, you just have to make adjustments to I assume the dies to account for the differences in the lengths of the casings?

If I am correct, I am guessing this is the same for .40 S&W and 10mm? How about .380 and 9mm?

I know I eventually want to get into reloading, I just need to learn more before going down that road.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Am I correct that the accessories (dies and I think it is called the plate?) for .38 special and the .357 magnum are the same, you just have to make adjustments to I assume the dies to account for the differences in the lengths of the casings?

If I am correct, I am guessing this is the same for .40 S&W and 10mm? How about .380 and 9mm?

I know I eventually want to get into reloading, I just need to learn more before going down that road.

.38 special and .357 use the same conversion plate kits, .380 and 9 mm have different conversion plates kits. 10mm/.40 S&W are the same. This chart will show you what conversion plants are the same and what parts of each crossover in the kits.

Dillon RL 550B Caliber Conversion Cross Reference Chart

For example, if you buy the 9mm and the .38 special, you only need to add a powder funnel to do the .40 S&W

Last edited:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have a Dillon 650 and am very pleased with it. It is fast, accurate, versatile and does everything I need now or might need in the future. I wouldn't shoot nearly as much without it.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Thanks for all of the replies!
    I think I am going to save up and just get the 650. So that if in the future I decide to do 3gun i can reload .223
    In the mean time, I am going to find someone that has one set up for 9mm and just borrow it untill i can save up for everything.
    The only thing stressing me out about it now, is trying to figure out exactly what I need when i purchase it. there are a ton of options and for someone that hasn't done it, there is staggering amount of options and decisions to make

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    There are a lot of decisions. Let me tell you how I simplify.
    I sold all my large primer .45 brass and bought small primer .45 brass. I use CCI small rifle primers for .45, .40, 9mm, .38 special and .223. One primer type, simple.
    I have a quantity of WW 231/HP38 powder. I can reload all my pistol calibers with ONE powder. It may not be optimum and you can't do it for 9mm major but it will work for the others and it meters well, it's inexpensive and it used to be everywhere. Simple.

I have ONE load for each caliber. I find a load that works well and I stick to it. I didn't start reloading to experiment. I started because I wanted to shoot more than the wallet could afford of factory ammo.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Thanks BillD

I want to shoot 9mm in uspsa, and 3gun.
    I also want to move up to 40 so i can make major. maybe next year.

the rifle stuff can wait for the time being, it will be some time before i can work up to that.
    SO.....I think the only thing to worrie about is the primers and the powder. (brands and type)
    and I will have to find out what my M&P likes best as far as the bullet and weight go.

suggestions?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I think I am going to save up and just get the 650. ... The only thing stressing me out about it now, is trying to figure out exactly what I need when i purchase it.

brianenos.com at least used to have an "As It Should Be" package on his website. Was the press + things like strongmounts, bullet trays, etc to make the press 'complete.' Take a look there. It used to be a little cheaper through him than dillon, but I'm not sure if that's still true...

You'll also need powder scale, calipers, & primer tubes. I also recommend a flip tray, case gauge, and extra akro bins. Then there are some extras that you may or may not want/need, like bench wrench, allen keys and tool holders, press covers, etc.

Then you need to clean brass... that means some type of tumbler and sifter + polish/media.

You'll need a way to hold your ammo. I just recycle bullet boxes and store ammo bulk, but some like specific ammo boxes so every bullet has its own little place to call home.

So by now the $ are rolling in your eyes like some looney tunes cartoon....

So... if you are going to be saving up a bit for the 650, I'd start by buying the tumbler/sifter/polish/media... Save your brass from the factory ammo you're shooting now and look for deals on brass. Get it cleaned up and then you'll have some brass that's ready to load when you finally get your press.

-rvb

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville

i love this thing, so simple and works so well, before you know it you have 1,000 primers in tubes ready to go.
    So does this thing actually work or is it hit/miss as far as getting a lemon? I see it has 3.8 rating on midway, but man there's a lot of bad comments. I also noticed there is/was a discontinued version. So what's the real skinny?

I've been thinking of stepping up to a 550 and have been reading up on a few diy mods/complementary tools. I assume you'd still want extra tubes either way?

Last edited:

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    So does this thing actually work or is it hit/miss as far as getting a lemon? I see it has 3.8 rating on midway, but man there's a lot of bad comments. I also noticed there is/was a discontinued version. So what's the real skinny?

I've been thinking of stepping up to a 550 and have been reading up on a few diy mods/complementary tools. I assume you'd still want extra tubes either way?

Works great for me, i got mine in November of 2013. I don't use the tubes that come with it, just straight into the Dillon tubes. Also check around the exit hole of the tray, mine had a tiny bit of excess plastic that took about 5 seconds to trim.

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    I have a Dillon 650 and am very pleased with it. It is fast, accurate, versatile and does everything I need now or might need in the future. I wouldn't shoot nearly as much without it.

Do you gave the auto feeder?

Some have said for the 650 it is almost a must have accessory, just curious what your opinion is.

Top Bottom