• ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Do you gave the auto feeder?

Some have said for the 650 it is almost a must have accessory, just curious what your opinion is.

Yes, the case feeder is one of the things that makes the 650 really stand out. With the case feeder, one is just setting a bullet on a case and pulling the handle. A loaded bullet drops out every time.

My old Vibra Prime died a few weeks ago. Luckily, I had a spare in the cabinet. I'm still using the old tray though. I load up 23 Dillon tubes at once when I'm loading primers.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Not a single RCBS Rockchucker comment for rifle cases. Even pistol but I can see the need to just crank them out.

I guess there is now. Sure it is slow but once you get it setup for your caliber you can make some great ammo with it. Cost will be less and you can upgrade later.

Still when I think competition I think bench rest cause I am older. For rifle rounds you can be very picky with how they all come out.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I didn't read all 7 pages
    So first things first...Go Blue
    I have had all 3 SDB, 550 and 650
    Started with a 550 and loaded 45acp on it for 6 years, no case feeder and it worked great
    I bought a used SDB in 40s&w and loaded on it for a year until something broke in it, the cam or whatever, wasn't concerned threw it in a box (really, unscrewed it from the bench, found a box, and stuck in there and some newpaper for padding) came back a couple weeks later 100% rebuilt with all the upgrades and loaded on for a couple more years then had the chance to buy a used 650 with case feeder, $500. Sold my 550 to Coach, got the 650 and stuck it in a box and sent it back to Dillon, same deal complete rebuild and load 40s&w on it.
    I load 45acp only on the SDB.

SDB is a great little press, will get you started loading pistol ammo pretty cheap and serve you well
    550 is a work horse and does everything great, pistol, rifle and with a case feeder you are not giving up much to a 650. It is also easier to run than a 650, you can back up, you can develop loads on it easier because of the no auto indexing, it is the Chevy Truck of reloaders.

650 is worth the money and you can crank out ammo like crazy on it, especially when everything works, but when something goes wrong (and it will) it can be a pain, you will shoot primers all over the place, crush cases, throw powder, smash primers and have a much larger "need to pull" can of crap reloads on a 650 vs 550

But you can crank out the ammo on the 650 and it just needs some TLC to get going.

I would actually like to have a 550 and a 650.

Hell I will sell you my SDB with 45 and 9mm conversions...let me see how much a 550 is and I will get back to you with price :):

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    Yes, the case feeder is one of the things that makes the 650 really stand out. With the case feeder, one is just setting a bullet on a case and pulling the handle. A loaded bullet drops out every time.

My old Vibra Prime died a few weeks ago. Luckily, I had a spare in the cabinet. I'm still using the old tray though. I load up 23 Dillon tubes at once when I'm loading primers.

put a double alpha mini bullet feeder on it and really crank out the ammo. best $140 upgrade ever

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    I have the Dillon 550 with case feeder and bullet feeder. don't feel the need for a 650. buy blue and be happy forever!

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    I have the Dillon 550 with case feeder and bullet feeder. don't feel the need for a 650. buy blue and be happy forever!

So a 550 with a case feeder and a bullet feeder, I guess while pulling the lever with you right and you are turning the plate or indexing I think it is called with your left?

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I have run a rockchucker for about a year now loading 9mm, 380, 223 and 30-06. It's slow. It works. I typically load 100 rounda in an evening. Picked up a lee loadmaster setup from profire and finally got it set up for 9mm this evening. After the initial setup, I loaded 50 rounds (checking every other powder charge, micing every round) in about 30 minutes. I now trust it, having not seen any anomalies. I will run the loads tomorrow morning and if all my 9mm pistols like them, then I will load another 500 tomorrow, should take a couple hours S I am still in the newbie phase of the new toy, but so far, I love it. I will probably be setting up the rcbs to deprime/size, then using my benchmount primer before sticking the 30-06 in the lee for powder bullet and crimping, will still save me a ton of time.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Started with a 550 and loaded 45acp on it for 6 years, no case feeder and it worked great
    I bought a used SDB in 40s&w and loaded on it for a year until something broke in it, the cam or whatever, wasn't concerned threw it in a box (really, unscrewed it from the bench, found a box, and stuck in there and some newpaper for padding) came back a couple weeks later 100% rebuilt with all the upgrades and loaded on for a couple more years then had the chance to buy a used 650 with case feeder, $500. Sold my 550 to Coach, got the 650 and stuck it in a box and sent it back to Dillon, same deal complete rebuild and load 40s&w on it.

SDB is a great little press, will get you started loading pistol ammo pretty cheap and serve you well
    550 is a work horse and does everything great, pistol, rifle and with a case feeder you are not giving up much to a 650. It is also easier to run than a 650, you can back up, you can develop loads on it easier because of the no auto indexing, it is the Chevy Truck of reloaders.

650 is worth the money and you can crank out ammo like crazy on it, especially when everything works, but when something goes wrong (and it will) it can be a pain, you will shoot primers all over the place, crush cases, throw powder, smash primers and have a much larger "need to pull" can of crap reloads on a 650 vs 550

But you can crank out the ammo on the 650 and it just needs some TLC to get going.

Hell I will sell you my SDB with 45 and 9mm conversions...let me see how much a 550 is and I will get back to you with price :):

Great write up Jake.
    As someone who has also had all 3 of these presses I can say that the 650 is very fast and less work but when it malfunctions( usually when you are in a hurry and loading for a important match) it can be frustrating.

I don't get the necessity for auto index because unless you have a bullet feeder you have to reach up and put a bullet in anyway. I just spin the shellplate and put the bullet on the case in one motion.

I now have 2 550's and would buy a 650 used if I found a really good deal on it but I will always have 1 550 for when I have to get'er done.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have run a rockchucker for about a year now loading 9mm, 380, 223 and 30-06. It's slow. It works. I typically load 100 rounda in an evening. Picked up a lee loadmaster setup from profire and finally got it set up for 9mm this evening. After the initial setup, I loaded 50 rounds (checking every other powder charge, micing every round) in about 30 minutes. I now trust it, having not seen any anomalies. I will run the loads tomorrow morning and if all my 9mm pistols like them, then I will load another 500 tomorrow, should take a couple hours S I am still in the newbie phase of the new toy, but so far, I love it. I will probably be setting up the rcbs to deprime/size, then using my benchmount primer before sticking the 30-06 in the lee for powder bullet and crimping, will still save me a ton of time.

Yea the day I got a 650 me and the Lyman single stage started spending a lot less time together. Glad to see your being cautious when I started on a progressive it took a couple reloading sessions for it to gain my trust, now it's set and just runs.

The other night I got home late from the Ohio match, realized I only had 150 rds left for the club match in the morning. Took Me about as long to load the primer tube as it did to crank out 100 rds. 10-15 minutes later I was done.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yea the day I got a 650 me and the Lyman single stage started spending a lot less time together. Glad to see your being cautious when I started on a progressive it took a couple reloading sessions for it to gain my trust, now it's set and just runs.

The other night I got home late from the Ohio match, realized I only had 150 rds left for the club match in the morning. Took Me about as long to load the primer tube as it did to crank out 100 rds. 10-15 minutes later I was done.

Progressive FTW. It takes me 7.5 minutes to load a primer tube and crank out 100rds. (1 min for PAL filler, 6.5 pulling the handle) Having that capability to whip up ammo the morning of a match is a great thing. Fresher ammo is more accurate. True story.

I don't think I could ever go back to that Lee turret I started on.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Fresher ammo is more accurate. True story.

Maybe that is my secret and I didn't even know it.:): I'm horrible about reloading in advance. Going to SS Nationals this year, I didn't load my ammo until 2 days before we left. I typically load ammo a day or two before I have a match or the night before I have live fire practice.

I just got my second 650 this week because I can never load any other caliber since I always need my match ammo set up. I figured it was easier to buy another press than stop procrastinating...

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN

Waiting on a price :)

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Do you gave the auto feeder?

Some have said for the 650 it is almost a must have accessory, just curious what your opinion is.

I have the case feeder and the plates (SP, LP, SR, LR) to change it over. I have heard that the LP will work for 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP but I have the others so I use them. You will neede some clear space over your bench because it is fairly tall with the case feeder and strong mount. Yes, it is a must have.

I do not have the bullet feeder (yet).

Last edited:

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    I have the case feeder and the plates (SP, LP, SR, LR) to change it over. I have heard that the LP will work for 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP but I have the others so I use them. You will neede some clear space over your bench because it is fairly tall with the case feeder and strong mount. Yes, it is a must have.

I do not have the bullet feeder (yet).

Thanks for the reply. Based on all the reading I have been doing, some have said the 650 may not be the best choice for someone new to reloading and the 550 is better start with due to its simplicity. While I can see how starting with a 550 makes sense, I just feel certain 6 months down the road I would want to upgrade to a 650 and regret the cash I layed out for the 550. I don't know, I cannot decide what I want to do.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks for the reply. Based on all the reading I have been doing, some have said the 650 may not be the best choice for someone new to reloading and the 550 is better start with due to its simplicity. While I can see how starting with a 550 makes sense, I just feel certain 6 months down the road I would want to upgrade to a 650 and regret the cash I layed out for the 550. I don't know, I cannot decide what I want to do.

meh, some people say you shouldn't start w/ a progressive, too. If you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions, none should be that difficult to start on. It's more about what your throughput needs and budget dictate, IMO...

the cool kids run 650s. I haven't regretted my 550, even back when I was doing 20k+/yr on it. pick one and shoot.

-rvb

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I don't really like reloading. If I could afford it, I'd call up Atlanta arms and order a skid full of ammo tailored for me and leave the brass lay at practice.
    I can't afford it so I'm forced to reload. I want it over and done with in the shortest amount of time.
    Thus, my 650. Now I'm going to look at the bullet feeder.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Top Bottom