• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What still resonates with me today is the eerie silence. We had no concept of how much noise jets made because the sound was always there in the background. Then the FAA grounded ALL flights for days. Those days it was profoundly quiet. Until then, We had no idea that we could hear those jets even though we couldnt see them. The silence was profound. even living in the big city away from the airport (Near St Vincents hospital), walking outside the noise level difference was obvious.

The silence was deafening. I was at Langley AFB in Newport News, Virginia. A long way from Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach, Florida where I was stationed. My boss and I drove to Norfolk International Airport to swap our rental car for one we could drop in Florida (we were making the 18 hour drive home 9/12 since nothing was flying.) It was eerie quiet. When you expect the sounds of jet engines and support equipment, eerie quiet is something you remember.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I was working at Caterpillar in Lafayette. I had to drive over to Purdue for something. I got in the car and turned on the radio. The first plane had just hit. I was listening to Bob and Tom. Tom said he didn't want to speculate, but it did not look like an accident. I only lived a mile away. I raced home in time to see the second plane hit. I sat in my apartment the rest of the day watching the coverage.

The thing that hit me the hardest was watching live TV and there were people jumping to avoid the fires sweeping up the towers.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Odd what sticks in memory. I was still on active duty, in my office at Brooks AFB (since closed) when someone came in and told me about the first tower being hit. Went to a conference room where a TV was set up and was watching when second tower get hit. Was watching a briefing from the Pentagon when I saw the room they were broadcasting from shimmy, and the briefers on TV look around. I realized they had just been hit as well. Thought, well, life is going to get busy now. Was in Abu Dhabi the next summer.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A few pics from our 25th anniversary trip last December. In Manhattan where there is nothing but roiling, loud, self-absorbed crowds, there was quiet reverence here:

41502763_10215132206272926_4613175895337730048_n.jpg

41347781_10215132207352953_7121323628108447744_n.jpg

41680091_10215132208432980_2054494573794689024_n.jpg

41668518_10215132213233100_4097036485532844032_n.jpg

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I remember I was in Mr. Perry's mechanical drawing class. The school administration announced that the faculty were not to put on the news about the attacks. My teacher was awesome and said f*ck that and took me and my 5 other classmates on a hunt for a class showing what was going on(we were in the shop area). We eventually ended up in the cafeteria watching everything unfold with the lunch ladies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I typically work 10-12 hour days. I remember going home that day after being at the shop only 8 hours, not having done any actual work, but feeling completely exhausted from following the news online.

I then had to hold a practice for my kid's 4-5 year old soccer team.

I was struck by shear joy of those little monsters running willy nilly, all over the field, while the world seemed to be falling apart around them. And wondering what kind of world they'd grow up in.

When we loaded up to leave, someone had tucked a tiny US flag under a windshield wiper of every car in that parking lot. That tiny gesture, by an anonymous stranger, made me think that things just might turn out OK.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I remember walking into my 6th grade science class and our teacher was watching the TV in tears. The first plane had hit shortly before we walked in. We all walked in and sat down in silence, and she asked if we wanted to do the days lesson or watch the news. We chose the news and that was the quietest day of my life. Even us sixth graders were barely talking between classes as we went from class to class just watching the news.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I was in 8th grade study hall. Our teacher was late to class, which never happened with this guy. He was also my shop teacher, so kinda a no BS kind of guy, but fun and let us have a certain amount of freedom as long as we weren’t screwing around. When he finally came to class he didn’t say a word, just walked to the tv and turned it on, told us all we need to watch this because it will be in history books, and sat down at his desk watching. I remember all the kids in school that day being unusually quiet, nobody really knew if it was going to happen anywhere else or if that was the end of it. Some parents came and got their kids out of school and we didn’t really do any work that day. The days after our tv at home stayed on the news 24/7.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I won't forget that day. I hold a grudge. I won't forgive.

Many circumstances in life, I can get over it. But this one stuck a burr under my saddle that will never be shaken loose. I see some people differently now, and I admit some get a second closer look and draw my attention just a bit more. I too hold a grudge and will not forgive or forget

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I was in Mrs. Spears 5th grade class. She told the class but we didn't really understand the importance of it. Just assumed it was an accident.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I saw a lot of Patriots on overpasses today with flags and one very magnificent flag structure on one overpass. It made me proud to be an American today and I'm not ashamed to say brought a tear to this vets eyes. Thank you to those who did this.

Top Bottom